Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Improperly healed patellar/quad rupture  (Read 1696 times)

Offline stutzmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Improperly healed patellar/quad rupture
« on: January 13, 2014, 06:12:30 AM »
Hi Everyone. I have a 17 year old son, he ruptured his quad tendon April 2007. Because of a misdiagnosis he did not have surgery until August 2007. So we are now 6+ years post op. He has struggled to keep up and doesn't complain much but his knee is really bothering him again. We have seen three doctors here and keep getting mixed answers. The first doctor told me his patella is in pieces and the repair appears to be falling apart. He suggested we return to the surgeon who did the surgery. This doctor has been telling me he is "as good as new" for he last 5 years. Now he is telling me we should be happy he has been able to do as much as he can and called him "lame". We saw a third doctor, he told us he believes he never healed correctly and at this point the best thing would be to restart physical therapy. He also said looking at his X-rays he is surprised he can do as much as he does. At this point he is not suggesting another surgery because he is afraid of making him worse. I am at a loss. We are in the US, I need someone who can help my son. He wants to enter the military and now he is worried that won't be possible. I have X-rays from several years to current and a recent MRI. Thank you for whatever help you can give.

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
Re: Improperly healed patellar/quad rupture
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 04:26:32 PM »
Hey stutzmom, I read with horror your sons story.   Get thee to a competent doctor!  You need someone that has knee somewhere in there resume...and MRI somewhere in there initial evaluation.  I am only qualified to make this statement based on my recent journey (34 weeks post RPT).  I am an engineer by training and I have been proactive in my recovery... ask questions,  research and don't settle until you are confident of the suggesred diagnosis.   Bob

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 259
Re: Improperly healed patellar/quad rupture
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 11:57:16 AM »
Hi stutzmom,

I'm so sorry to hear what has happened to your son.  I don't think there is any excuse for a doctor calling your son lame, it isn't helpful.  It sounds like he's dealing with both a ruptured tendon and a shattered kneecap.  The best advice I can give is to agree with the third doctor.  Finding an excellent, and caring, physiotherapist has helped me enormously to recover function.  However, I had a long period of rest before I started working my knee to make sure the repair worked.  I had a ruptured patellar tendon and a bit of broken bone at the kneecap.  I've found it hard to balance exercise with rest as we all want our knees fixed "yesterday".

If I were you I'd also start thinking about alternatives to a military career, so that if things don't work out you can suggest different choices.  But with a good physiotherapist and the help of the third doctor you might find a solution that enables your son to do what he wants.

God bless, Sella.
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

support