Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Reducing a dislocation?  (Read 893 times)

Offline Abstract

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Reducing a dislocation?
« on: October 23, 2013, 12:21:52 AM »
Hi all,
I've posted here about suffering recurrent patella dislocations in the past, and Im glad to say that I am now waiting for an MPFL reconstruction on my right knee.
Unfortunately, until the surgery, I am still suffering dislocations, and was wondering if it is a good idea to reduce it myself, as it has begun to impact my college work, taking a trip in an ambulance most weeks... My consultant has not given me a straight answer on this, and paramedics seem to be a bit edgy about answering as well, so I would love to hear what others recommend.
Thanks, Abbie

Offline Summer007

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Reducing a dislocation?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 05:29:30 PM »
Hi Abbie,

Sorry to hear of your problems. I too had recurrent patella dislocations and I personally reduced and popped it back in myself. However, I don't really think that its always advisable as when your knee dislocates you can tear and damage structures of your knee. I got to the point where going to A&E with every dislocation was getting silly, just as you have explained too. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long for your surgery. 

Summer
October 2011-L LR
August 2012-L MPFL Recon
July 2013-L TTO & MPFL revision
March 2014-L Arthroscopy surgery

Offline Abstract

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 07:11:00 AM »
Hi Summer,
Thanks for the advice, I guess it's a case of judgement...
Hope all is well with your knees!
Thanks, Abbie

Offline Summer007

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 08:34:23 PM »
Hi Abbie,

Yes I suppose it is really just a case of judgement as you say. Some people aren't comfortable with it, which is totally understandable. Do you know when your surgery is?

Summer
October 2011-L LR
August 2012-L MPFL Recon
July 2013-L TTO & MPFL revision
March 2014-L Arthroscopy surgery

Offline Abstract

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 01:30:14 PM »
Hi Summer,

I don't have a date yet, but I'm meeting a new surgeon next week, who will hopefully be a bit clearer with us, and give us a date. We have very little communication from the old surgeon, so I'm hoping that this surgeon will be better!
Thanks, Abbie

support