Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Justin's ACLr w/Patellar Tendon Autograft  (Read 14531 times)

Offline Jumping Roundhouse

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 8
Re: Justin's ACLr w/Patellar Tendon Autograft
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2014, 02:57:18 AM »
looking forward to hearing how it went.

Offline FlyingKnuckle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2014, 05:19:30 AM »
Day 24

So It's been awhile since I've updated. Things have progressed well over the last week. Had a couple of PT sessions since then that have gone well. My PT released me from my brace unless I am in public places or walking on uneven surfaces. I've been sleeping a bit better now without that clunky thing on it's been awesome. My steri-strips finally came off. My scar looks really good. Much better than I expected. It's kind of long but really thin so it won't be too bad I'm hoping.

My knee is still really stiff and I don't quite have full extension or flexion yet. I definitely know now why it takes so long to heal these dang injuries. It's all the little things you have to take care first like the swelling and ext, flexion and others. I'm really surprised my knee is still swollen after 3 weeks. My leg feels super weak and I'm still kind of limping when I walk. My PT said I need to focus on walking as normally as possible with even weight distribution. This has been my biggest challenge so far.

One thing that is really bothering me is the inactivity. I can deal with the pain, the swelling, the PT sessions, but I am really having a hard time with not being able to do normal activities. I miss my gym so much and my Sis and I are overdue for our "nights on the town." And right now as I'm going through one of the hardest separations of my life, it's been really hard not being able to do things to get my mind off of it. I miss my gf, my dog, and my health. I really hope things get better but I know I'm in for a long, hard road. I knew it was going to be tough, but sometimes this whole thing gets over bearing.

Hoping for better times,

Justin
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 05:21:19 AM by FlyingKnuckle, Reason: punctuation »

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2014, 03:00:43 PM »
the battles are constant.  one day we can be normal again.  Stay off that slippery slope of negative thoughts.  I am thinking of you! 

my walking is so much better now than it was 5 days ago.  each stage is like you can't imagine things getting better, but you have to admit, looking days back, that things have continued to improve.   When it's not normal,  or even close, it's hard to be satisfied.

and then each stage brings its' newly discovered pains and challenges.  My hamstring area is so tender and fragile!  you don't have this, but man, evidently a 3rd of my tendons have been removed and let me tell you that sucker is not happy.   there's risks of tearing the other tendons by overusing it (which means using it barely).... aaaa!!!!!   

keep up the hard work 

michelle

Offline FlyingKnuckle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2014, 03:54:28 AM »
One day right! Your right Michelle, after reading my last post I noticed how negative it really was. Over all I'm ok. This has been a great lesson in my life. I've really had to slow things down and it's given me a lot of time to prioritize my life and think about where I am heading next in the grand scheme of things.

Walking is getting a lot better as well. My PT scolded me for walking peg legged into my session the other day. She stressed how important it was that I try to walk as normally as possible and don't baby it. I don't want to injure anything and she reassured me that everything is really strong and it will be fine. I'm sorry to hear about your hamstring. That is a huge piece of tendon they took out and it sounds very painful.

How is your flexion and extension coming along? I am almost completely straight just working on getting into the negatives now. My flexion is at 130 at the moment so I am progressing nicely! I hope to hear some good news from you as well!! One month down...can you believe it? It's amazing to see how far we have come. Hell, 3 weeks ago I couldn't even do a leg raise without assistance. My scar looks really gnarly.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Justin

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2014, 05:21:40 PM »
I Hate My Knee.  it's been super painful the past few days, for no apparent reason?   the knee cap is popping and clicking and freaking me out.   I have PT today, so will report back on extension/flexion.   I think this hot weather is making things swell?   and I haven't been able to ice more than a couple times/day.  not feeling very positive right now.   :-\

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2014, 02:09:25 AM »
so, my flexion is like 108 and they seem ok with that.  meanwhile, I stood on one foot for 30 seconds easy, did 4" steps balancing on the leg for 10 seconds like 25x in a row.  it wasn't too hard, but my knee cap is extremely painful, but they said its all good.  I thought my flexion was much better 2 days ago, but that was 2 days ago. 

I even took a pain pill before PT, and I guess it helped, although still my knee catches up really bad unexpectedly;  they said it's tissue, so I guess I just need to keep going. 

they straight up said, you are in protection mode, its 4 weeks post op, youre doing great , your muscles are doing great.   She said hey, it's a year or two til you feel normal.   Guess they don't tell you that pre op.  what are your options anyway. 

unfortunately met this lady 2 days post op there .  ive been there!   it was her 3rd acl repair.  first one was not done well, 2nd one was, and she still took 2 years off volleyball before she started up in sport again.  this time she tore the other leg's acl.   she was all chipper about it, but when she left, she was crying and hurting and I felt so bad for her.  can you imagine doing this surgery and PT 3x??  just shoot me!!

So, they continue to say I'm doing really well, and I'm stronger than ever, which is true.  But seriously still only at 10-20% normal in my book. 

keep on keeping on,  I don't know what else to say.  it ain't no magic wand.  the spirit is willing, the flesh is weak.  but the flesh is improving.  I can balance ball like a champ. 

« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 02:19:22 AM by Jumping Roundhouse, Reason: positivity added »

Offline FlyingKnuckle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2014, 05:47:57 AM »
Michelle,

I know exactly what you mean when you say protection mode. I'm limping and I don't even have too. Very odd lol. Guess it's a mental thing. The reality of a full year before we feel normal again is so hard to accept. I have never been one to lay off for that long. These ACL injuries are so deceptive because you start feeling pretty good but there are so many things that can go wrong if you do too much at first and that really stinks.

I couldn't even fathom the thought of doing this again. Much less 2 more times. I definitely feel for that lady. We had a guy come in probably in his early 40's who had tore his playing soccer. He wasn't in the best shape or anything but he was like 3 weeks post op and hadn't even started home exercises yet. =0 He was having the hardest time moving his knee and it was swollen to the max. I left that day with no feelings of sorrow for my own situation.

My knee is catching as well. It's a scary feeling. It usually happens when I do the big ball drill. They have me put me heel up on this ball and roll it backwards. As I go backwards it completely locks on me and I can't move the ball. It also does it during the mini squats too. I'm really hoping it's just a swollen tissue thing like yours and not some crazy complication. Nice going on the balance ball! All those karate classes are really paying off now! You are miles ahead of the game going in in shape. I think that really helps the whole outcome of all this. I'm thinking about ya and I hope too see you back in your kimono in no time.

Justin

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2014, 05:33:33 PM »
just curious, what CAN go wrong?  when will I know that everything is ok?   id like to know when I can feel like im past the worrying phase. 

Offline FlyingKnuckle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2014, 04:58:14 AM »
This is one of those things that I'm not sure about. I've been dealing with this injury for over 10 years now and I think about It everyday. I think PT is going to help a lot with the mental aspect of it. The more you do, the more confidence you gain with the knee. I think it's going to be one of those things where one day you do something that should have definitely hurt your knee and it doesn't, and that's when the you'll be able to let it all go.

I do know from week 4 to like week 12 the graft goes through a weak phase where it re vascularizes. Basically it's making the transformation from tendon to ligament. During this phase it's important you don't put any stress on it to avoid re tears or stretching the graft. After this phase it's really strong and the chances of this happening diminish greatly.

The biggest challenge is letting go of hurting yourself again. You literally have to re train your brain not to send you the "danger" signal every time you stress your knee. This training can take quite a long time and differs from person to person and their personality. If your good at letting things go then you'll get past this phase a lot quicker than say some body who is a natural worrier like myself. I've heard that it takes a good year before you pretty much forget you had anything done in the first place. That's a hell of a sentence if you ask me.

Justin

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2014, 01:55:42 AM »
Today, for no apparent reason (oh wait, maybe it's my diligent PT work), my knee like suddenly had a significant improvement.  Greater flexion, easier walking, all that good stuff!!  So grateful!  Now, I know better than to expect that tomorrow, but one can hope!!!!!

Your scar looks way better than mine Justin!!!

Must be that TX air!

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2014, 04:36:41 PM »
You know things must be going well when you don't post updates to your knee chat group    ;D

6 weeks still isn't a walk in the park, but we're coming along.  The PT told me she would feel more certain about my potential when I hit the 6 month mark.  So far so good though, and that's all I can say.  I feel like there are so many details they don't tell you going in. 

Let us know how PT is going Justin!

Michelle

Offline FlyingKnuckle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2014, 04:50:29 AM »
Week 7!

Wow nearly 2 months since my surgery. I feel really good but I definitely know why it takes almost a year to recover from this. My right leg has really atrophied. My calf and quad is 1/2 the size of my other leg and has lost a lot of strength. My PT explained to me I wouldn't be able to return to full duty until I regained that muscle mass back. I'm still dealing with a bit of pain when I flex or extend my leg. I really hope that goes away and I didn't over work my knee or anything.

I actually feel good enough to jog but I'm still a couple of months away from that per my MD. It's such a painfully slow process. I hope I never have to deal with this again.  So far I haven't done any type of lateral movement in PT or any motion that twists the knee joint. A lot of quad strength and balance exercises so far.

Michelle, how are things? I'm glad to hear that your improving. Did you have any other tears you had to fix or was it just your ACL? It looks like that cut into your knee a bit more than mine but it still doesn't look bad at all!

Justin

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2014, 06:07:14 PM »
hey Justin!

yeah, things are going pretty well.  balance/quad strength is the word of the month.  I'm finding the lunges to be very difficult, it makes me feel pitiful but I am gonna fake it til I make it. 
the new exercise is standing on one of those balance/rocker boards and doing squats.  HA!  that is challenging, but I'm noticing improvements.

still a good bit of pain under my knee cap (they scraped away some cartilage damage) but surgery wise it was just the ACL repair using hamstring tendons.   

I am walking a lot more normally as im learning to trust that the knee isn't really going to hyperextend like I feel/fear.  Running though? I don't think I could run for my life if I had to and that's a very bad feeling   =)

Step downs are also very hard and painful at this point, but I am really hoping to improve each week.  I am a dedicated PT warrior. 

See you!
Michelle