Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TTO (fulkerson) post op diary  (Read 19652 times)

Offline schnops

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 15
Re: TTO (fulkerson) post op diary
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2013, 11:35:46 PM »
12 WEEKS POST OP

I have a question for all of you guys.  I stood up and twisted a little bit last week and felt a snap/pop on the lateral side of my knee. (Also to the left of my tibial tubercle).  It hurt right away, but the pain while walking isn't that bad. It hurts to get in/out of a car and I get this 'catching' feeling every time I straighten my leg.  Any thoughts on what this could be? (it happened on my 'good' leg) Could it be my meniscus?

I have a stress fracture in my back, so that has def slowed things down with my knee.

Ozzie,
Thanks for the support! I found a really good pt that a few family friends, my OS, and my back Dr. all recommended.  I met with them today and they were appalled at what my old pt was doing with me! They seem great, glad I switched! Doing 2 times a week of regular therapy and 1 time a week of aqua therapy with them.  She used the stim that activates your quad today. I've used it before and it def works pretty well! How are you doing with recovery? Are you still on crutches? Pain gone down? Hope you're doing okay!

Hang in there everyone!
Schnops
TTO, LR, arthoscopy, medial tightening R leg -03/'13
Hardware Removal- 9/'13
TTO, LR, athroscopy, medial tightening L leg- 10/'13
VMO advancement, LR, trochleoplasty

Offline ozzie

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
  • ACI & Fulkerson 6/25/13, ACI & Fulkerson 12/26/13
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2013, 07:01:11 AM »
I'm glad to hear that you like the new physical therapists. If you feel confident in them, it will help physically and mentally!  Yes, one more week of crutches I think.  Today I drove-less than a month after surgery-so moving along well.  Thanks for asking. 😄
ACI patella and trochlea & Fulkerson on Dec. 26, 2013-Dr. Scott Gillogly
ACI patella surgery and Fulkerson with Dr. Gillogly June 25, 2013
Extensive cartilage damage in both knees due to misalignment of patellas

Offline schnops

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2013, 11:36:57 PM »
Hi everyone! Been a long time since I've posted! LOT has happened, but hopefully it'll be smooth sailing from here!

I got my screws taken out this afternoon! They were starting to loosen and giving me a lot of pain so my OS let me get them out early :) Pain and grogginess right now, but nothing compared to the TTO! TTO on my left knee is scheduled for mid November.

How is everyone doing?

-Schnops
Hardware Removal- 9/'13

Offline chondro...huh?

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2013, 04:10:32 AM »
congrats on the  removal.... so how do  they do it? Do they put you out to do it? How is your recovery going? Do you have to be non-weightbearing for any length of time? How big is the incision? I'm loaded with questions! :o
Susan
07/12 - injury
03/13 - scoping, cleaning
09/13 - TTT

Offline schnops

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2013, 03:13:33 PM »
They basically take a power drill and pop them right out like a normal screw! My OS jokingly said that my dad could've taken them out with  black and decker power drill in the garage, haha ;) They did have to put me under general anesthesia so I was completely out. The pain is actually a lot worse than I expected. The incision feels like it's on fire and stings really bad. I can use crutches as needed, but there are no restrictions. I haven't taken the dressings off yet, so I don't know how big the incision is. I'm taking them off today, so I will let you know :)

Do you have screws in your knee? How are you doing? Feel free to ask all the questions you have! I'm happy to help!
Hardware Removal- 9/'13

Offline chondro...huh?

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2013, 05:01:59 AM »
So has the pain improved? Are you icing? I got some good pics of my bruising today I will try to figure out how to put on my diary tomorrow. Your surgical incision... Did they staple or suture that one? I have reactions to internal sutures (I reject them) so they used staples. But, then he used internal sutures too because if it being a joint he had to. So I'm a little nervous about the wound healing. That's another worry for another day though.

So what problems were you having with your screws? When do they usually take them out?

Praying for your quick recovery and a pain fee night!
Susan
07/12 - injury
09/13 - TTT

Offline schnops

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2013, 03:41:58 PM »
I'm icing religiously and elevating too. My knee is super stiff too. When do you go to have the staples removed? When is your first post op visit?

My screws were retracting from my bone so they were causing a lot of burning pain and irritation. Not all OS's require you to take them out, but you can opt to get them out usually around 6 months post op

How are you doing?
Hardware Removal- 9/'13

Offline chondro...huh?

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2013, 06:32:53 PM »
My first post op visit is Oct 3rd. I believe I will get staples out then. Overall I am well but overslept my pain meds by 2 hours so playing catchup with the pain. Check out my diary I got pictures posted. If you get a chance you should post pics too. With your first surgery did you have staples or sutures?
Susan
07/12 - injury
09/13 - TTT

Offline schnops

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2013, 03:45:02 PM »
I had dissolvable stitches for the TTO. 10 days post op I had to go see my OS and they just cut the ends of the stitches (you're a nurse so I'm sure you know, but they just looked like tiny pieces of thread sticking out from either end!) But no staples or anything! Are your steri strips still on?
Hardware Removal- 9/'13

Offline chondro...huh?

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2013, 09:19:11 PM »
They will put steri strips on once they reemove my staples... ahem, once I remove my  staples, I will put steristrips on! hahahaha.... Yes, I will insist that I do it myself and that they can watch! Nurses are the WORST patients!
Susan
07/12 - injury
09/13 - TTT

Offline schnops

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2014, 08:47:58 PM »
hey, haven't posted here in forever, but I am officially ONE YEAR post op in a week from today!!!!!  ;D  :) :D 8)
Knee feels great :) So glad I had this procedure done! No more dislocating or subluxing, minimal pain, strength is back! R knee is all good!! Just thought I would share in the celebration!
Hardware Removal- 9/'13