Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Bilateral Patellar Tendon Rupture  (Read 2501 times)

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 106
Bilateral Patellar Tendon Rupture
« on: October 18, 2013, 11:40:41 PM »
Suffered on 9/11/2013.  Surgery on 9/13.  5 weeks post surgery today.  DonJoy leg braces.  Getting to 0 to 65 degrees flexion.  Full weight-bearing since 2 days after surgery.  Both ruptures off bone. 

Main concern is that it appears one knee cap is higher than the other.  Hoping when scar tissue recedes it will help.
Dan VonLehmden
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Bilateral Patellar Tendon Rupture
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 12:27:52 PM »

WELCOME TO VONLEHMD

Welcome to the RPT thread - an exclusive club - better not to be a member -

Very rare indeed to have a double ruptures.

How did you sustain your injury?  Where do you live.?

You would be very wise to read some of the previous posts on this thread - PATIENCE and ask questions.
Suggest you click on the undermentioned thread - it contains a set of documents which I have put together with KneeGuru - you will learn a lot.

Keep posting.

Take care
JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture

Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 01:59:16 PM »
Thanks.

I live in Stuart, FL.  Accident occurred in a gym while traveling.  Was doing calf raises on an upright leg press machine, and a few things went wrong.  Hyperextended both lower legs 90 degrees while others were helping me out of the whole. 
Dan VonLehmden
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 05:36:43 PM »
vonlehmd, I feel your pain.  I am 12 weeks post injury and surgery this week from a bilateral tendon rupture.  I hyper flexed both knees when I slipped in my garden.  I am sure after five weeks you have figured out some tricks to this injury.  Have a few tips for you from my situation. 

First, get going with the quad sets, and if you have the means, purchase an electrical stimulator to keep the quads from atrophy, even though it is going to happen.

Second, the massaging of the knees is good to keep the scar tissue from building up and also to help with nerve regeneration as you have probably found that you have some loss of feeling from the surgery where they dissect the nerves.  Also, vitamin E and lotions with cocoa butter and vitamin E will help with the scars.

Third, like John42 says, listen to your knees.  I had a hard time being down for 7 weeks in full extension, but the healing of the tendon can take up to 12 weeks, so be cautious and optimistic.

Fourth, weight bearing is good and fire the quads when you step.

Fifth, don't fret the lack of flexion and ROM if you don't get to what the OS and PT want.  Healing of the tendon allows for more ROM.  I am at about 125-130, depending on what my activity level allows for the day.

Hope you have a chance to read some of the previous posts.  I am beginning to think that bilateral patellar tendon ruptures are not as rare as they are made out to be after finding this board.  Lots of us on here.  Hope you are feeling better and we all feel your pain.

Tom
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline vonlehmd

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 02:45:17 PM »
vonlehmd, I feel your pain.  I am 12 weeks post injury and surgery this week from a bilateral tendon rupture.  I hyper flexed both knees when I slipped in my garden.  I am sure after five weeks you have figured out some tricks to this injury.  Have a few tips for you from my situation. 

First, get going with the quad sets, and if you have the means, purchase an electrical stimulator to keep the quads from atrophy, even though it is going to happen.

Second, the massaging of the knees is good to keep the scar tissue from building up and also to help with nerve regeneration as you have probably found that you have some loss of feeling from the surgery where they dissect the nerves.  Also, vitamin E and lotions with cocoa butter and vitamin E will help with the scars.

Third, like John42 says, listen to your knees.  I had a hard time being down for 7 weeks in full extension, but the healing of the tendon can take up to 12 weeks, so be cautious and optimistic.

Fourth, weight bearing is good and fire the quads when you step.

Fifth, don't fret the lack of flexion and ROM if you don't get to what the OS and PT want.  Healing of the tendon allows for more ROM.  I am at about 125-130, depending on what my activity level allows for the day.

Hope you have a chance to read some of the previous posts.  I am beginning to think that bilateral patellar tendon ruptures are not as rare as they are made out to be after finding this board.  Lots of us on here.  Hope you are feeling better and we all feel your pain.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks again for this great feedback.  Have been working toward all.

As to the muscle stim devices, I am looking at the following on Amazon:

TENS handheld electronic pulse massager unit
Runs on 4 AAA batteries

Cost is a little over $50.

Any opinion?  Is this one OK?

Dan VonLehmden
Injury 9/11/13
Surgery 9/13/2013
Live in Stuart, FL

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 06:54:55 PM »
Von, look for a combined TENS/MuscleStim.  Tens units can be for pain most exclusively but $50 is a good price.  I got mine for around 60 from a TENS/Muscle Stim company off the internet that gave me two free sets of the stim pads.  If you can get them, get the longer more rectangular pads, as that will cover the top of the quad tendon area and the top of the muscles.  Look at YouTube for a video if you need help with placement.  Anything that works will be good.

Tom
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

support