Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What if I donít have Microfracture?  (Read 829 times)

Offline AI

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
What if I donít have Microfracture?
« on: October 02, 2013, 03:36:21 PM »
What if I donít have Microfracture?

I have a cartilage lesion under my patella that my OS wants to perform microfracture surgery on. Has anyone had a similar situation and not had any surgery? I am trying to avoid microfracture surgery due to the mixed results I have been reading about.

I was wondering how things would progress without any surgery? Would total knee replacement be in my near future?

I currently have difficulty running and playing soccer but I can walk several miles with limited pain. I have no swelling. 

My History:
38 years old male
Lifetime soccer player. Dislocated patella in 2003, had lateral release surgery.
Current pain started about 18 months ago after an aggressive bike ride.

Thanks in advance

jtcarlto

Re: What if I donít have Microfracture?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 01:48:19 AM »
Look up www.savingmyknees.blogspot.com.  Sounds pretty similiar to your situation.  His started after biking.

If you read that site, you will learn about studies where cartilage healed spontaneously.  Tough part is 1/3 of the time it improves, 1/3 it stays the same, 1/3 it gets worse. 

It couldn't hurt much to try out his ideas (if you are motivated, which you are) long as you took it easy and listened to your pain signals.  An alternative you might wanna try is getting the mx and the augmenting it with PRP, stem cells or IAGH. 

Lot of studies are starting to do that (i.e Saw in Malaysia, Broyles in LA), so you might want to look into it.  It increases the quality of the repair tissue.  They also use Hydraulonic acid (visco-supplementation)

Good luck!
Jeff

Offline AI

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 07:00:48 PM »
I visited my OS at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC the other day. He didn't recommend  microfracture surgery on my patella. Basically said the odds of successful results were not very good for the patella.

He wants to perform the OATS surgery but my insurance company has denied coverage.

I am trying to figure out a way around this. Any suggestions?

Offline fishes

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 02:04:48 AM »
Have you had arthroscopy?  Many insurance companies won't cover OATS or similar procedure until another surgery has failed and I was told by my OS that arthroscopy counts. 

support