Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Can't keep knee bent more than 5 minutes help(10 months after surgery)  (Read 4009 times)

Offline etoner316

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
HELP!

Im new to this site and i'm a little confused on how this whole forum thing works so i hope somebody reads this and can help me because this problems really taking over my life.

NOTE : My problem and question is at the point marked "******IMPORTANT PART******"

So long story short, im 17 coming 18 and on boxing night last year I tried to climb into an over 18's disco via the roof (don't have a clue why) , and I fell off and broke my patella in 4 places. I eventually got to the hospital , had my surgery and got a screw and wire in place, everything healed fine. etc, went through the whole cast-leg brace thing . And once that leg brace came off , holy s**t my leg was SKINNY, i mean scary skinny,

I went to a physio, who was rather inexperienced as he was in from university on a training course or something, but anyway I stopped going because I had school at 9am and usually the sessions were before hand so i'd be exhausted through school. So I let things be, I didn't do any physio leg exercises, apart from walk everywhere all the time (as I normally would do) eventually my limp went away and I could bend my leg the whole way back until my foot was touching my bottom. things were good, leg still way skinny though but i thought it would bulk up again over time.

*******IMPORTANT PART********
until I noticed that whenever I was sitting in school in class and I had my knees bent sitting on the chair an awful pain slowly emerges after about 6-7 minutes until it gets unbearable and I have to straighten my leg again, so all the time I'd be sitting in class slouched back with my legs straight out because I cant sit with them bent for longer than 7 minutes without the angony setting in. Apart from that I can play football, blast the ball as hard as i can (with just a slight niggling pain) and run a reasonable bit. but whenever I try to bloody sit with my legs bent on a seat it aches so hard it'd make a grown man cry . So I can't learn to drive anymore, cant sit looking attentively in class, cant sit right normally with my girlfriend in the cinema seats :(  So my question is this, is it the knee hardware that's doing this ? or is it the fact that my leg is so skinny? I thought the latter so recently i've been doing leg weights to bulk it up. but there today it made a creeky sound when I started to bend it thus I decided i'd make an account for this website and ask because enoughs enough I want to drive !!!

If somebody could tell me their opinion or actually answer the question you'd be making a guys life much easier, Thanks.

Offline FMRCathelete

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 5
  • Cats are great recovery companions
Re: Can't keep knee bent more than 5 minutes help(10 months after surgery)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 01:03:36 AM »
Sounds like a possible tracking issue, but you would really need to discuss this with an orthopedic surgeon (OS).  Shame on physio for putting you with someone in training -yes they need to learn, but you are young & need to get this better so it has less effect on you long term.  I say see OS, get order to go back to physio as you could have tight ligaments and/or muscle imbalances that are causing this, and a good physio will figure that out & get you on the right track- doing exercises on own without proper guidance may not be a good idea as you may make things worse or cause loosening of hardware.  This time don't stop physio until you are released by doctor!!!!!  It is one of the most important parts of recovery -a brief time of pain & exhaustion worth every drop of sweat.   Just MHO, good luck-A
Lat release 5/08
OATS 7/09
PJFR 10/10
Scope, plica removal/synovectomy 1/12
Scope, Medial retinacular release and debridement of excess tissues 2/13
Knee Denervation 3/2014

Offline etoner316

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 01:28:25 AM »
And yea its a little thing called the NHS. Absolutely useless. Im going next week to Belfast I have an appointment with the doctor. Problem is, he's probably going to give out at me for not doing the leg exercises or physio, but whenever I try to do it I can feel the metal actually moving inside it and it doesn't feel right, it's like a rusty hinge on a door. Do you reckon I should ask to get the metal out anyway? I mean if it's not the hardware and it's something to do with the ligaments like you said we'll never know for sure unless it's out? It can only be a plus anyway, because the wire and screw have no use in there anymore, it's totally healed.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 209
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 09:57:06 AM »
Having read your two posts with care, doing nothing will get you no further along the long road.

Neglect could be a life long problem and a second opinion is required as soon as possible - insist on this which is your right, regardless of your views of the NHS system.

Keep posting with your progress

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline geococcyx

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 10:12:08 AM »
Re post #1: Well I can't actually answer your question, I'm not a doc but I can make a guess. Just read about a guy with symptoms like yours, they were caused by cartilage damage at the back of the kneecap. I suppose you could have damaged yours too when you broke it? Or as you say it could be your hardware pressing against the knee bones when you're sitting (don't know where it is placed though). In any case you should have it looked at so you don't damage your knee further, maybe avoid sitting with knee bent for long until then, could you put your leg up on a box or something? When were they supposed to remove the hardware anyway? Oh, and I'm not sure if playing football at this point is a good idea either, if the hardware is loosening or something...

Offline etoner316

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 10:45:10 AM »
Im going to get it sorted next week when I see the doctor, I hope he doesn't tell me it's because I haven't been doing the exercises because my leg doesn't really feel stiff or anything I thought I wouldn't need it. If this thing was long term it'd kill me, it's driving me insane as it is I just want to be healthy again I'm willing to do anything the doc says I just hope it isn't something long term. I'll post next week if they find the source of what's causing the pain. Also thanks for posting so quick everyone .

Offline FMRCathelete

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 10:36:50 PM »
Happy to hear you have appt.  Good luck and let us know how it goes.  It would seem that at some point hardware should come out also, & I'm surprised the original doc didn't discuss that.
Lat release 5/08
OATS 7/09
PJFR 10/10
Knee Denervation 3/2014

Offline FMRCathelete

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 12:39:10 AM »
Just checking in to see how your appt went.  Hoping you got some info or a game plan to get you better.
Lat release 5/08
OATS 7/09
PJFR 10/10
Knee Denervation 3/2014

Offline seant46

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 02:28:43 PM »
Where exactly is the pain? It could possibly be from not enough physio in which scar tissue has built up. If that was the case, this should be fixable if its on the outskirts of the knee where you can feel the hardened tissue.

I was having this problem from not enough physio early on, luckily scar tissue seems to have only formed near the outskirts and not inside which would be arthrofibrosis. If it is arthrofibrosis that would not be good- how is your range of motion?? What helped me the most is hard massaging since my problem was regular scar tissue. When I say hard, i mean it! It hurts quite a bit but in just a weeks time I can sit with my knee bent without much discomfort at all where a week or so ago i had to straighten it out after 5 minutes. What I liked even better that using my hand to massage was using a roller of some sort. I just used a screwdriver and rolled it up and down where I could feel hard tissue. It is very painful but after a week I have noticed huge improvement from the tissue breaking up, now almost no prboem with keeping knee bent. 

Anyways if the problem happens to be scar tissue I highly recommend roll massaging it, although its really painful made a world of difference in my case after just a week.

Edit: Well i forgot to factor in its 10 months after surgery not sure if that would be scarring or not. I would agree with the above poster could be tracking issue/muscle imbalance and I also agree you need to try something to get it figured out ASAP.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 02:31:08 PM by seant46 »
Right knee:
Sept 11/13 - Plica excision and scraped patella
Currently dealing with portal scar tissue from surgery, patellar tracking and patellar tendinopathy at the tibial tuberosity.

Left knee:
Currently dealing with less severe tracking and tendinopathy.

support