Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Arthroscopy post OP lump  (Read 1926 times)

Offline seant46

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Arthroscopy post OP lump
« on: October 20, 2013, 09:33:10 AM »
Hi im wondering if anyone has went through the same thing or has any advice. 5 weeks ago I had my right knee scoped to excise the plica and the OS also cleaned up the underside of my patella too. My concern is I have a hard lump right around the lower medial portal access point still after 5 weeks. The lump touches the side of my patella even when my knee is extended. Im guessing this is just scar tissue and I have been massaging it hard(quite painful!) and it will seem to soften up for a bit but in a few hours it hardens up again and gets larger again. I have good range of motion and although apparently scar tissue is not painful itself it must be putting pressure inside my knee because there is pain in the area.

Is this a big concern after 5 weeks? There is less scar tissue and pain around the other 2 portals but the lower medial portal has the most. Will this ever break up and stop causing pain? It seems like after I massage it it just keeps coming back. Is there anything else I can do beside massage, ice and elevate? I was thinking about booking an appointment with a physio to try dry needling to break it up would anyone recommend this? I know 5 weeks isnt the longest time since surgery but its starting to concern me. Thanks for any thoughts.
Right knee:
Sept 11/13 - Plica excision and scraped patella
Currently dealing with portal scar tissue from surgery, patellar tracking and patellar tendinopathy at the tibial tuberosity.

Left knee:
Currently dealing with less severe tracking and tendinopathy.

Offline seant46

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Arthroscopy post OP lump
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 08:30:26 PM »
Bump. There must be someone who has dealt with this.

I keep massaging the lump and it will soften up but a few hours later its hard again. I dont know if this is scar tissue or edema? I wonder if getting it drained with a needle would help? I think im going to go back to see the OS and see if he can drain it but would love to hear other peoples experience/knowledge.
Right knee:
Currently dealing with portal scar tissue from surgery, patellar tracking and patellar tendinopathy at the tibial tuberosity.

Left knee:

Offline CoderChick

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 06:15:18 PM »
Sorry I don't have any advice for you, but I can commiserate a little. I've been having a similar experience after my knee scope a month ago. The medial portal has a hard, painful lump under it. The lateral portal hurts a little, and the upper lateral portal causes no problems at all. My physical therapist told me that it is scar tissue and to massage it, and that it is prone to scarring since it goes through the fat pad. I've noticed the lump is a little smaller and less painful each week, but the progress is much slower than I expected.

Offline seant46

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 10:21:05 PM »
Thanks for the reply, its good that yours has been going down in size. I have read that the lower medial portal usually gives the most problems which makes sense like you said it goes through the fat pad.

That is weird that mine isnt going down in size. It hast been getting bigger just staying the same. The lump will get smaller/softer after I massage it but hardens up to the same size after few hours. Im hoping its not scar tissue and the OS will be able to drain it with a needle when I get so see him. The other thing im thinking of trying is dry needling if it is scar tissue to break it up because its already been about 2 months since my scope and I hope to not have this forever.
Right knee:

Left knee: