Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TTT and Lateral Release... Recovery Time??  (Read 2751 times)

Offline tttpatient

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
TTT and Lateral Release... Recovery Time??
« on: October 14, 2013, 04:30:40 PM »
Hello,
Im due to have a TTT and Lateral Release in 5 weeks on my left knee due to multiple dislocations.
I was wondering if anyone has had this surgery and could give me a rough idea on how long a would need to take off work?

I know everyone is different but a rough idea would be great :)

My job is pretty hands on... Im a operations manager so im always walking around, carrying things etc and they wont let me back to work on cruthes or on light duties.

Thanks

Offline schnops

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 15
Re: TTT and Lateral Release... Recovery Time??
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 01:43:21 AM »
Hey there!
I am now 6 months post op from a TTO and LR.  Hm, well it kind of depends on your surgeons protocols. Some surgeons have their patients NWB for 6 weeks, others have you walking from the start but in a straight leg immobilizer, and others do PWB as tolerated. So it depends. But I would say that if you need to be walking around normally (with your leg not locked out straight), then you would need 6 to 8 weeks off from work. But it does really depend on your surgeons protocols!
TTO, LR, arthoscopy, medial tightening R leg -03/'13
Hardware Removal- 9/'13
TTO, LR, athroscopy, medial tightening L leg- 10/'13
VMO advancement, LR, trochleoplasty

Offline jumbocrayon

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
    • Knee Misadventures Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 03:07:23 AM »
Hey :) 

I'm just under 3 weeks post-op for those two, plus additional MPFL repairs and reattachment, and I'm full-weight bearing with crutches until the 6-8 week mark.   My doctor told me absolutely no walking without crutches before 6 weeks, but I also had an additional thing with the MPFL.

At about 2 weeks I felt like I could walk without the crutches, but I was told by my OS, the nurse who took care of me in the recovery room, and my physical therapist that it's a bad idea because you can't compensate for any loss of balance without crutches to stabilize you. I think you should play it safe- it's going to suck for a while. 

Offline DaTexanBoy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 03:04:38 PM »
When I had mine done at the VA. I was 8 weeks NWB, and then of course PT after that. So about 12 weeks before I was back to where I was before surgery (minus the dislocations of course)

Good luck.

Offline tttpatient

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 08:47:48 PM »
Thanks for all your help guys :)
I am due to have the surgery on 18th November and have told my work 6weeks :)

How did you find the pain? Is it as bad as ive heard?

Many thanks
Heather

Offline DaTexanBoy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 08:55:23 PM »
Well, it wasn't real fun. Just stay ahead of your pain meds though and you'll be good. If you get the option of a femoral nerve block, DO IT!

Above all, stay ahead of your pain with the meds and you'll be good.

Offline jumbocrayon

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 02:40:44 AM »
It kind of sucks a lot. 

The first week I was basically unconscious for due to the pain meds, but when I was conscious I wasn't happy about it.  The nerve blocks (I had femoral before surgery, and woke up screaming so they did sciatic too) wore off at about 18-20 hours after they were done.  The second week I stayed ahead of the pain and it went pretty well.  This last week has been the worst (aside from the day the nerve block wore off), because of the wean off the meds, and the whole "I have some energy but doing anything at all hurts" thing.  Everyone is different though.

I'm told week 5 is the real "I feel kinda normal sorta" point- I'll let you know when I get there :)

Offline tttpatient

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 02:06:59 PM »
Ill bear all that in mind :)
Thanks Guys!
Where are you both from?

Offline DaTexanBoy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 03:01:10 PM »
Out of Arkansas, USA.

On the nerve block, you could get lucky. I guess they really did mine up, because it lasted for 4 days last time. It really sucked when it started wearing off, but was happy because it finally did wear off. Lol

Offline chondro...huh?

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 03:11:23 PM »
Heather if your in the states you need to fill out FMLA paperwork which your surgeon will have to fill out and tell your work place when you can return. It is my understanding with my research that 2/3 of the time your tibia will hairline fracture this is the reason of the differences in surgeons protocols for weight bearing. If you fracture then it will be a minimum of 6 weeks no weight bearing. If you are nonweightbearing that it will take a few weeks to learn to walk again. I am 5 weeks out now and am just starting to feel normal, but still have pain when increasing activities (such as taking a shower). If you are going to be on your feet for your job you need to ask your surgeon. I'm betting he say 12 weeks.
Susan
07/12 - injury
03/13 - scoping, cleaning
09/13 - TTT

Offline Lee Tipton

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 06:41:31 PM »
I cannot tell you how badly I feel for you.  You sound like you are in a great deal of pain and then there is the nausea/tummy troubles on top of this.  I will tell you one thing I know to be true.  Tummy issues can cause everything in our bodies to feel worse.  When your stomach is upset - your whole system is worse because of it.

That said, I am so anxious to hear at what point you turn the corner on the pain.  I am reasonably sure that you are dealing with some narcotic issues and once those are off the radar - maybe your tummy will stop being an issue as well.  At least that is what I am hoping for you.

And then you are going back to work.  I cannot believe you are even attempting it.  I am 11 days away from having a distal femoral osteotomy.  I am planning on being a slug for the first 2 weeks in my recliner.  After that - I hope to be out of enough pain that I can send my kids back to their own homes and let me have mine to myself. 

I will be doing a diary - so maybe I will be able to hear from you too.

I will say a prayer for you.

Sincerely,
Lee Tipton

Offline tttpatient

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 02:28:20 PM »
Im from the UK... ive set 6 weeks as a starting point but have made my employer aware it may be a while longer...
I hope you are recoverying well and feeling a little more normal.

Ive been told to buy a cyro cuff?  Would you recommend this?

Offline christine67

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 04:48:15 PM »
Hi heather,

I am 12 weeks post op from a TTT & PFJR and just at the stage of walking with 1 crutch, I have had a lot of other surgery which will make my recovery longer then normal though.

With regard  the cryo cuff I am from UK the hospital I go gave me the cryo cuff aircast which they filled with water for me and I just keep it in the fridge (I have ended up with 3 cuffs as I have had 4 ops within the last 18 months and they have given me one each time) so I would wait and see if your hospital gives you one.

Chrissy67
Dislocation in both knees in late teens
1988 realignment of R/knee
2009 Dislocations start again
Oct 2011 scope
Dec 2011 femoral de-rotation
April 2012 bone graft
Aug 2012 metal work removed and replaced with plate
Aug 2013 PFJR, tibia tuberosity transfer
April 2014 femur hardware removal.

Offline jumbocrayon

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 08:59:41 PM »
I have been heavily reliant on my cryocuff.  I bought an electric one online that i fill with ice water twice a day, and it lasts 4-6 hours, and penetrated the thick dressings the first week.

Cannot recommend enough.  I'm in the US- they did not send me home with a cryocuff.  Just a recommendation that i buy or rent one.

Coming up on week 4 tomorrow, pain is starting to get better, but still waiting on a breakthrough-level increase in comfort.  Still working from home as I'm able to, and not using the narcotics every day, which is nice.  I hope you get it sorted out.  I'll be walking crutches free around the 10 to 12 week mark, according to my physical therapist and OS.  I also had MPFL done at the same time though, so not sure how that effects the timeline.

Offline tttpatient

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 01:22:15 AM »
I called today regarding a pre op that ive been told by lots of people I should have but the hospital said I dont need one... does anyone know why this is? They haven't told me very much.. were all you guys day cases or did you have to stay in hospital? Not long to go now! Just over a week. .. hope everyone is doing well. HEATHER