Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee dislocation from playing soccer, can i weight lift?  (Read 592 times)

adilkaize

Knee dislocation from playing soccer, can i weight lift?
« on: October 05, 2013, 05:59:58 PM »
I dislocated my left knee about 4 months back for the 3rd time while playing soccer, it has never dislocated completely, it always gets back to place. My right knee is much better but I have gone through two knee twists or dislocations (im not sure because they recover within a few days). Anyways I still play soccer with a brace and I cycle frequently now, I also do a few exercises to strengthen my quadricep musceles, my question is can i weight lift? I am very small at 5'5 weighing 92lbs and I am a male, so I really need the exercises to get bigger, is it safe?   

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
Re: Knee dislocation from playing soccer, can i weight lift?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 06:12:29 PM »
I'm gonn guess that you mean you've dislocated your knee cap, not the full knee joint itself.

As fo weights. Short answer: as long as you are properly escalating the strength exercises and have proper form when lifting. Yes most rehab protocals would move onto using weights. Basically. Just don't do to much to soon and listen to your body. If you feel pain... that was probably to much. 

04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

adilkaize

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 07:43:51 PM »
sorry, yes it was my kneecap

and thanks, I will move to bigger weights gradually

adilkaize

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 05:21:57 PM »
i just wanted to know if i can perform squats?

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 06:04:33 PM »
Same principles would apply. Good form, properly escalating (without weight… then potentially adding, etc) maybe initially watch how low you go into a squat. The lower you go, the more stress on the knee. Never go below 90 degrees, and never let your knees go past your toes. Moral: Watch your form; and if it hurts, don’t do it.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

support