Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Prolotherapy/PRP Injections  (Read 3287 times)

Offline Flyersoars

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Prolotherapy/PRP Injections
« on: May 06, 2013, 12:49:28 AM »
For the last 4-5 years, I have had knee problems on and off.  Been in and out of PT, done lots of acupuncture.  Almost two years ago, I started having some serious problems running/walking and walking downstairs.  I got xrays and 2 MRIs and no real diagnosis, chrondamalacia, patellar maltracking, patellar tendonitis, arthritist, VMO atrophy, cartilage defect on the patella, etc.  After getting the run around from doctors and recommended to have surgery, I was pretty frustrated.  Then in the beginning of 2011, I took matters into my own hands and starting with stopping all activities and doing intensive acupuncture with electrode stem for my left knee.  The pain went away, but I still had instability and VMO atrophy.  I started PT and still could not run and walk downstairs normally.  Then I started looking for a prolotherapist that would give me injections....that proved difficult because everyone had their own opinion and thought it was a biomechanics issue to just thought I did not need it because I was not in pain but could not function on an active level.  Finally, I found a OS and started Prolotherapy injections, every 4 weeks.  I had my ACL, MCL, around patella, intra-articular, LCL, PCL, all injected.  I also started having her treat my thumb, elbow, TMJ, mid-back, low-back, hip, ankles, shoulder.  I have had a total of 9 treatments of prolotherapy in my knees and I would let her inject the maximum amount of lidacaine to treat additional areas.  My 9th treatment of Prolo was accompanied by PRP for the ACL and intra-articular knee.  I am having my 10th treatment with PRP beginning of June.  As a patient throughout this process, I rested with mild biking and swimming the first 10-14 days after treatment with no weightbaring exercises, then after that some weight lifting and walking.  By month 4, I felt much better and starting running and playing sports 14 days after injections.  I had a relapse and my knee swelled up for 1-2 weeks so I started backing off again and resting more than exercising.  I walk my dog everyday at least 1 mile and walk around at work and clean the house, but I did not exercise additionally.  I am being patient and good to my body because I want to get back at being active.  So it is almost 1.5 years since I backed off on really working out.  I walk downstairs normally, no pain, just some popping of the knee occassionally.  My OS is thinking another one to two treatments of prolo with PRP, she said to start taking it for a test drive again.  So I am 10 days after injections now and I will start lifting, jogging, biking, hiking more.    I am writing to ask for additional suggestions on other injections method in case I have another relapse and comments on what I can do to help the Prolo and PRP along.  Is resting better, or light exercising, or just go and test it out after a little more PT and gradual increase in running? 

Offline Kefu

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Prolotherapy/PRP Injections
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 10:12:43 PM »
Hey flyersoars

I am in a similar situation to yours. You can take a look at my background and what I have done so far here:
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=63201.0

My situations is a bit different in that I can function doing daily activities. But I have constant knee pain (even when not doing activities).
I have tried prolozone and their are many testominals and youtube videos saying its helped them. But it didnt help me. It did provide temporary relief tho. I am also looking for additional treatments options and or injection treatments that I can do. I am thinking of injecting HGH, IGF-1 or testosterone into my own knee. Theirs a thread here that talks about something similar:

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=46074.msg574711#msg574711

Let us know how you attend to precede. I am also looking for some help