Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PRP injections or Hyaluronic?  (Read 3038 times)

Offline Dentina

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
PRP injections or Hyaluronic?
« on: October 03, 2013, 12:43:04 PM »
Hello to all knee sufferers on these boards..
I hurt my right knee a year ago in a freak accident(on a beach)and luxated the patella,tore incompletely MPFL,tore incompletely ACL,horizontal tear on the lateral meniscus,and damaged the aticular cartilage on the patella badly..On the X-ray,and
MRI,all this has been noted ,also a loose body in the joint,and a osteofibroma tumor on the tibia..
After the artroscopic procedure(loose body extracted,MPFL reefing,Lateral release,shaving on the damaged cartilage,ACL and meniscus were not done)I had a very hard recovery due to wrong postoperative protocol of my doctor i.e. 6 weeks doing nothing,so I had problems with flexion mainly,and wasted quadriceps..
Now a year later,I can only walk normally,with certain uneasiness sometimes:running,fitness,biking and everything else impossible due to grade 4 post-accident arthritis on the medial side of the patella.Climbing stairs is huge problem ,cracking sounds can be heard to the Moon if I try,no pain,but in time I guess it will follow..
To cut the story short:injections,both platlet reach plasma,and hyaluronic(I dont know the comercial name)are advised,by two different doctors ...so I would like to read the opinion of more experienced members on this board about both of them,I will read other topics on this here also..My main questions:which one is more suitable for grade 4 damage(to the bone)of the patella,(one of the doctors said that MAYBE the inj. will help me with climbing stairs)
and is it unuasual for the things to get worse instead of better after PRP or hyalurone?I know that maybe in the beggining there will be pain ,swelling,but can the long term effects be negative instead of possitive?I need to know if its worth taking the risk..I dont have pains of OA yet,and i dont take analgetics
Thank you for reading,sorry for the mistakes(English is not my native language)
Marina

Offline greatfulgann

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Re: PRP injections or Hyaluronic?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 04:39:19 PM »
I have had injections of both Synvisc One and PRP.  Out of the two I have found PRP to been most beneficial. 

Neither of these injections were painful and I experienced no adverse side effects.  The Synvisc was covered by insurance but the PRP was not. 

I would repeat the PRP if needed even with the additional out of pocket cost.

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 07:08:31 PM »
You can have both.

First Hyaluronic (this will help lubricate the knee and helps slow down further damage), motion should be a bit easier, but reactions differ from person to person.

After Hyaluronic, you can have PRP, which is supposed to help grow cartilage back (but statistics so far are not clear)...

I believe that if you have both, its the best. I know people doing this. PRP 1 week after Hyaluronic.

Offline Golfnerd100

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 08:57:26 PM »
I have had three hyaluronic in each need over a year and half followed by three PRP in each knee over a couple of years.  By far prp but your doctor needs to know what he is doing  first one was very painful  did some research and so did the doctor.  Guide it in with ultrasound , local anastedic etc and pain free and effective
Hyaluronic to me = putting a siicone caulking in the knee so that  you can feel it slowly wearing away.  PRP is you own blood and it starts a healing process and yes done right it works.  I could not walk the length of a average size mall and now I walk 18 holes
the are now doing stem cells with the PRP and awaiting results on early guinea pigs to see overall effect.  If successsful I am going ahead with this in the spring.  I do believe results will be positive for early users.

At present I am at 60% - 70 % of knee use.  I can stay on my feet for a long time without getting pain so I am back doing many things that I never use to do including long walks each day.

I do believe the PRP which is really your own body healing itself will be a mainstream very successful method in a few years.  Just takes the mainstream at lot longer to test and agree to it.

When the combine it with stem cells and get the procedure down pat it will be the answer in my opinion

Offline Kefu

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 10:05:08 PM »
I have tried prolozone 6 times. But it only has brought me temporary relief in my knee pain for about 2 weeks. It was supposed to stop the knee pain and regenerate cartilage according to internet sources, testimonals and youtube videos. But it did nothing for me

Heres some backround on me:
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=63201.0

support