Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Why???  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Swimmy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Why???
« on: January 26, 2004, 08:50:19 PM »
I am 13 and I swim on a year round swim team. In PE class when we run laps in the gym after about the 2nd lap my knee starts to hurt very badly. I don't know why this is happening and I have talked to both my PE teacher and swim coach and they don't know either. I am scared to talk to my parents about it because they freak out way too much. If anyone knows what the problem could be please let me know.
SWIM LIKE YOU'RE IN FIRST PRACTICE LIKE YOU'RE IN SECOND!

Offline anasta5ia

• Forum Faithful
Re: Why???
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 09:30:25 PM »
Swimmy-

I would first like to welcome you to the board, but I am also sorry that you have begun to suffer with knee problems and have had to come here.

The only real solution to your problem would be to tell your parents and have them take you to see an Orthopedist.  As much as we would love to give you an answer, alas, we are not doctors and cannot advise you on what your diagnosis might be.

It may just be a muscle imbalance that could be very easy to fix with some specialized exercises.  Or, it could be something more extreme that would require further treatment.

I hope that it is nothing major and that you can continue the sports you enjoy without too much discomfort.  My knee problems started when I was also 13 and it can be really hard to focus on anything else at that age.  Please know that I do understand what you are going through, but the only way to come to some sort of resolution with it is to talk to your parents and doctors.

Hugs-
Heather G.
Rt. knee-plica resection, LR, 4 TTTs, MPFL repair & 2 MPFL reconstructions
Lt. knee-2 TTTs, & 2 MPFL reconstructions...
Scheduled for bilateral hardware removal, lt. knee TT revision, MPFL recon and LR recon with new wonderful surgeon.
Plus 9 other orthopedic surgeries

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 09:44:24 PM »
Swimmy,

My problems also started when I was 13 and swimming competitively.  I had to see an orthopedic surgeon and begin a series of physical therapy exercises.

I also had to give up the idea of being an IMer and cut breaststroke out completely--it is very tough if you have badly tracking knees.  So is the flutter kick used in freestyle, but for some reason it's okay in the backstroke kick.

So I became a butterflyer and backstroker, got a knee brace, and began PT.  It did get better once I cut those elements out.  I also stopped running stadiums (1/4 mile around the track, then up and down the bleacher seats--not stairs--one time was equal to one stadium; we did 6-8 per day).

Take care.  Swimming is good exercises for people with bad knees, but the running can be a killer if you have a tracking problem.  I had to get excused from all running, though I didn't give it up completely for another 13 years.  Wish I had sooner.....

Heather (another one)
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 11:42:57 PM »
Hello Swimmy,

I also welcome you to the board and agree strongly with Heather M do not be afraid to tell your parents about your knee condition. They will be more freaked out if you keep it to yourself and end up making your knees worse that could affect you for the rest of your life. Normal procedure is seeing your Family GP (Doctor) who will send you to a Physiotherapist but also ask to see a Orthopedic Surgeon (OS) to be on the safe side and put yourself and your Parents mind at ease. I know I may sound brutal saying it could affect your life as it might not at all, just giving you the worst scenario, that I read up about from other Members postings.

Here a Link of well known OS Worldwide and hope you find one close to were you live.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/clinics_big_names.html

Also on top of board but does not contain as many OS's as the above link but still taken from this Website.

Keep the board posted on the progress you make in the next couple of weeks regarding your knee conditions, Nick  :){2004}:)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 10:43:11 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 06:23:43 AM »
Hi Swimmy,

I also want to say welcome to the board! I agree that you need to tell your parents about your knee pain. I was older than you, 19, when my knee pain began but I was also a little afraid to bring it up to my parents. I kind of thought that it was all in my head at first and I was kind of scared that they wouldn't believe me because before then I had never had any problems with my knees. But I did tell them and it was actually better that way because I was able to see a doctor and get some help. Tell your parents and see an orthopedist because the best thing you can do for your own health in the future is to have it looked at now rather than later.

:)
Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Runs with scissors
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2004, 10:03:43 PM »
Hey Swimmy:

Just wanted to give you the point of view of a parent (and a kneegeek besides).  I have 3 great kids who are now in their 20's - so I've lived through the childhood boo-boo's and the teenage traumas of all of them - and I'm here to tell you that although it's sometimes hard to go through the difficult times with them, it's ALWAYS better than to be kept in the dark and to think of them suffering alone.  As parents, we may sometimes act "freaked out," because we're afraid for you or worried about you or don't know how to help you...but we ALWAYS want to do everything in our power to take your pain from you and make your path easier. So...gather your courage and share your fear with them.  Let them help you through this scary time.  Who knows, it may turn out to be something easily treatable...it may not.  But you will have learned to trust one another - and that's a tremendous gift to have given one another and it lasts forever!
Best of luck to you...and let us know how you make out!
Holly
1998 run over by car;Rt knee lat menisc/med menisc tear, ACL/MCL tear, patella frx, tib frx, femur frx, 4 scopes repr menisc/repr lig/debride pat, open MCL rpr, dbl osteot3/04;MUA,lysis6/04;scope10/04

support