Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MACI for Osteochondritis Dissecans  (Read 1812 times)

Offline tootsiewoots

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MACI for Osteochondritis Dissecans
« on: September 16, 2013, 08:07:54 PM »
To cut a long story short I am now 10 weeks post op following MACI a implant for Osteochondritis Dissecans. I have had several previous operations which included Mircofracture, screw fixation and a second Microfracture.. This in now my fourth option.  My lesion in on the Femerol Condyle. I am 31 years old and not overweight.

I have just started weight bearing and am seriously worried. I seemed to be progressing really well and then as I started placing full weight into my knee I have had sharp shooting pains. Also I seem to be getting clicking again!!! It happens when I am at full extension.The knee then clicks like its slotting into place. The clicking does not cause pain as such and afterwards I feel ok but the area just feels rather tender. Has anyone else experienced this? I have telephoned the physio and the consultant who say that it is normal at this stage to be experiencing this type of thing. I don't see how it can be normal when its the same feelings, clicks etc as I previously had prior to surgery. PS: I have no further swelling and no pain following the clicks and sharp pains. HELP!!! 

Offline Witty1985

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: MACI for Osteochondritis Dissecans
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 11:36:44 PM »
This is something which I have experienced with my MACI.

Where was the graft in your knee and how big was it? Mine was lateral femoral 4cm2

I am really struggling with full weight bearing and am currently at 11 weeks post op.

Where did you have your procedure done?

Rob

Offline tootsiewoots

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 03:12:27 PM »
Hi witty,

I am now 13 weeks post op. The clicking appears to have stopped but tbe knee feels extremely stiff now. I am still getting pinching, and small amounts of sharp pain. The knee still feels really weak. I had the operation done on my medial femoral condyle.  About 4cm sqaured I believe.  I had the operation done in York. They have been brilliant.  I know it will never be 100% but just hope it improves alot more so I can go for short walks pain free. Where did you have yours done? Did you have osteochondritis dissecans also?

Offline Witty1985

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 10:05:32 PM »
I am 12 weeks tomorrow. Still struggling with FWB and require a crutch.

I had mine done in Leeds but live in hull I have a consultation coming up.

I had mine due to damage from football injuries.

I am just starting to up my exercise on the knee and recently managed a straight leg raise for the first time so hoping my strength comes back sharpish.

I too stil get sharp pain and the feeling that something is caught but I am trying to push past it.

What was your pain like before the op?

How many consultations have you had so far?

Rob

Offline tootsiewoots

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 09:55:15 PM »
I also live in Hull! Village called Elloughton. Mine was likely caused as a result of rugby. I have been having problems for about 4 years since my first operation which was micro fracture. Since then had probelms with walking and jogging. I basically don't jog and only walk short distances. I can cycle  long distances without any trouble.  I just have problems on the last 10degrees on full extension which is a right pain!! I also began getting aching pains when I rested. I have been off the crutches since week 12 but it has been hard! I go to London in a couple of weeks and have been told to get back on the crutches and a wheelchair for long distances!! So depressing.  My biggest concern is my job as I need to be able to walk/run!! So worrying about that too. I am glad that we are both experiencing similar problems. I have been told it will be a long drawn out recovery and I will be happy if it just improves so I can walk pain free! Keep me updated buddy and what ever you do don't take up online poker whilst you chilling out!!

Offline Witty1985

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 09:07:44 PM »
Small world mate I live in Brough. What do you do for a living the ? I am a PE teacher so important to be mobile. I too struggled with extension before and couldn't do any running or long walking a round of golf was tough. I am still struggling with extension now. Been there and done that with the online stuff invested in netflix this time....less trouble. My consultant said expect 12 months before seeing an improvement past what was like pre op however he believes will be able to return to full activities including football. I find it hard to remain positive as it has taken over my life a little. Every little niggle pain etc sets me off worrying about the graft.

Offline tootsiewoots

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 12:18:35 PM »
It is a small world. Went back to the physio yesterday ( I go every week in York). She is now asking that I walk 10 mins on the treadmill, 10 mins cross trainer, 20mins bike, 5 minutes on the rower. I am also doing stretches and a few light weights on the legs. Gym takes me about 1hr and 30 every session and I am going about 4 times a week now. I was getting pain on the treadmill in the graft area almost like tapping on a bruise she thinks this is the quad muscle. I personally don't think it is muscle pain but she is adamant that whatever it is the graft won't be damaged so just to go with it and stop if it turns to  shooting pain or becomes to much. Who did your operation? I had a guy named Neil Hunt, think he works in Leeds also? I am a Police Officer and with all the new fitness tests they starting I need to be back. I also had trouble walking long distances, running was out the question and even standing for long periods was painful. I don't think I will be back playing rugby ever again or even running but I will be happy to walk longer distances pain free. We can meet for a beer if you like and have a chat about things?   

Offline Witty1985

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 11:49:10 AM »
Sounds good to me would be good to speak to someone in a similar position as me.

Are you able to walk about much unaided at the moment then? I am struggling at the moment went to hull fair without a stick and is now clicking and catching all the time. I asked for my physio to be transferred to castle hill so I don't have to travel each week to Leeds.

Mr venkatesh in Leeds did mine. He is a really nice guy fills me with confidence every time I see him.

Do you go out much on a bike or are you doing stationary biking?

I can't for the life of me get my extension back fully. It will go flat if is sit and let it hang but a day of limping about and sat at a desk stiffens it up again. I have found that I am walking like a 90 year old at the moment struggling to get heel toe as my knee won't straighten.

How is your walking? What type of stuff do you do at the physio? Have you had hydrotherapy?

My num is 07841816641.

Rob