Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: knee injury  (Read 942 times)

Offline kirstylea

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
knee injury
« on: January 26, 2004, 04:03:53 PM »
HI there,
am new posting here but have been finding info on this board for a few days now. You guys have lots of good stuff!

Anyway, about my question.

About 16 years ago i was in the army. had bad knees the whole time and ended up with disability of 10% for them. (patello-femoral syndrome runners knee) anyway my knees have been weak pretty much since then. about 10 years ago I kept having pain in my knee and ended up getting mri that said I had a meniscal tear (this was thru the VA) when they went into repair it they said there was no tear...

fast forward to a week ago.  I carried my hard drive down three flights of stairs. I didnt really hear any popping, but by the time I got to the bottom of the stairs I knew something was wrong. I pretty much started limping from that moment on. My knee swelled up HUGE.. and I went to my gp 2 days later. He said I did have fluid in there, but when he went to do the tap he couldn't get any fluid to come out.  They did an MRI a couple days later and am still waiting on results. Now I am walking with crutches (I can still hobble around but use them for support more than anything)  When I wake up in the a.m. I dont have much pain.. at first.. it seems almost normal, but within about a half hour it puffs up and I can barely walk/hobble anymore.
One thing that hurts with it is that it will just kind of burn/cold on the right side of the knee (left knee)... argggh I am frustrated.. any ideas what this might be? Doc says probable meniscal tear and maybe ACL.. any advice or info on this would be helpful!!
I am still waiting on the MRI results.

thanks in advance and nice to meet you all.
Kirsty
Just Breathe

Offline kirstylea

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: knee injury
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 05:25:36 PM »
well, feels funny replying to myself.. but mri came back and no tears. Said its a strain..thats good. and aggravating. how long does it take to get over one? how long should I use the crutches.. brace etc...

any help appreciated thanks
Just Breathe

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 08:53:50 PM »
Even though your MRI shows nothing, I would still suggest getting a referral to an orthopedic surgeon for a more definitive diagnosis.  They will then be able to decided on a course of treatment.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline kirstylea

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 09:26:29 PM »
Thanks so much for your reply. I will do so. :)
Just Breathe

support