Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 3rd Rupture in 8 months. Help  (Read 1941 times)

Offline Speedracer52

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
3rd Rupture in 8 months. Help
« on: October 09, 2017, 02:28:49 AM »
I ruptured my PT on March 28th when I slipped on grand stand bleachers. I had surgery 3 days later. I was recovering nicely. While locked out in the brace, I slipped in my backyard and fell backwards, forcing my kneed to bend. It pulled all the sutures out of the repaired tendon. I had surgery to repair the repair on May 2nd.

Fast forward to October 2nd (5 months after second surgery). Full range of motion. Was in a partial hinged brace. Had been discharged by PT and cleared for all activities by my doctor. I felt I was finally moving forward.

I was walking backward on October 2nd when I my kneed gave way. I heard a small pop, but wasn't really painful. The knee swelled up and I worked it with ice. Wasn't in much pain at all, just swollen. I went to my doctor and he says I have ruptured it again. He says "your tendon is obviously not healing well".

I will have surgery this Friday. He is going to use a "cable" as he described it. To keep everything in place and then remove it in 8 months.

Has anyone had a "cable"? I wanted to research it more and get any feedback. I'm so glad I found this group. I'm 32 years old and relatively healthy (could lose some weight). I have two small

I'm 32 years old. 5' 11" 280lbs. Could loose some weight, but for the most part healthy. Appreciate everyones time in advance

Offline Barrjoe

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 64
Re: 3rd Rupture in 8 months. Help
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 03:21:07 AM »
Wish you well Speed. I'm a 3 timer also. Mine were over about 4 1/2  months last year. I'm looking at a transplant I guess. Haven't had it fixed as I decided to get my left knee replaced first. Please let me know how things go, because from what I heard, we are extremely rare.

Online John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 206
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 09:30:38 AM »
Hi Speedracer52

In more than 13 years on this board, I have never heard of a triple rupture - unique to say the least - A double rupture is also VERY rare.  Wish you well/ JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Speedracer52

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 10:01:26 PM »
I went and saw a different doctor today. He said my patellar tendon is almost completely shot after the three ruptures and two surgeries. He is a reconstructive expert and is going to use a achilles tendon autograft to rebuild the patellar tendon.

Has anyone had this type of repair before?

Offline Barrjoe

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 64
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 12:00:31 AM »
That's what they talked about at Mayo's for me. Though I ain't sure I got anything worth harvesting. Guess a cadaver tendon is a possibility too.

From what I gather, my patella tendon was ok though.

Keep me posted

Offline Speedracer52

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 03:19:36 AM »
I had surgery Friday October 13th. They used a Achilles tendon allograft (cadaver) and rebuilt my patellar tendon. Locked out for 4 weeks before beginning PT.

Offline timfear

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 10:25:21 PM »
Man, Speedracer, I hope you heal quickly and fully. That's hard to grasp. I'll quit my complaining!

I had a complete rupture in June and am doing well. I slipped the other day in the bathroom and thought for sure I had ruptured my other PT. I mean, I was sure and I almost went into a panic. Turned out it was just that, panic. All good.

Good luck!

Offline Immy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 12:24:40 PM »
Speedracer, really sorry to hear about your recurrent ruptures bro.  Wishing you a successful repair and speedy recovery, keep us updated. 

Check out intermittent water  fasting. It basically means eating the same amount of food within a small time window (say 6 hours).  Theory is that your body spends of lot of itís time and energy trying to digest  food, if you happen to be grazing throughout the day, whereas if you stop eating your body can focus on healing as certain repair DNA switches on, your body ups itís growth hormone levels (which also aids recovery)

Regards,
Immy
Aged 40. Left patellar tendon rupture on 09/07/17 playing football. Repaired on 12/07/17

support