Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Distal/Medial TTT, MPFL, and Distal Femoral Osteotomy 10/3/13  (Read 30919 times)

Offline christine67

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
Re: Distal/Medial TTT, MPFL, and Distal Femoral Osteotomy 10/3/13
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2014, 07:14:37 PM »
Hi JFVolleygirl,

I am also waiting to have my hardware removed hopefully end of April or beginning of May.
My DFO was at the top of the femur and into the hip which is causing a lot of pain in my hip so the sooner the better for me.

Hope you don't mind answering some questions for me, I know your metal work is in a different place but how long were you on crutches for after the last hardware was removed and how much pain were you in and for how long?

I am hoping to get back to work some time this year as I have been off for 4 years now due to all the complication I had.

Hope your operation goes well.

Chrissy67

Dislocation in both knees in late teens
1988 realignment of R/knee
2009 Dislocations start again
Oct 2011 scope
Dec 2011 femoral de-rotation
April 2012 bone graft
Aug 2012 metal work removed and replaced with plate
Aug 2013 PFJR, tibia tuberosity transfer
April 2014 femur hardware removal.

JFVolleygirl27

« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2014, 05:02:26 AM »
Hi Chrissy67!

I also had the same surgery on my left leg 2.5 years ago, except I had an opening wedge osteotomy and so had a laterally fixed plate. My recovery for this surgery is at this diary:  http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=56475.0

I think I had pain for like a week or two after that surgery, but really the hardware removal was no big deal compared to getting the hardware in! My doc actually had me walk like the day after the operation to show that the crutches were just there for comfort and I wasn't going to mess anything up by using the leg. I think I was on crutches for like 2 weeks after hardware removal?

This surgery recovery has been a bit longer/more difficult since I had such a serious injury right beforehand and my knee had been inflamed for several weeks before I had surgery. And I still have my random freak out moments whenever my knee makes cracking sounds or has odd pains, and I am struggling with getting full extension back....but I think it'll be easier when hardware is out? I remember from my last surgery that it is SUCH a huge relief after getting the hardware out and then its literally just your bone again....no uncomfortable metal inside! After the 3-4 week point, I remember my recovery just really took off and escalated. I got my full range of motion back within a few weeks of hardware removal and started focusing on building muscle again, which I could do with much less discomfort. I had it done over my college winter break which is like roughly 3.5-4 weeks long, and I was back at university walking fine without crutches. This time I am getting it done over my spring break as I don't want surgery to interrupt my summer plans....and I am hoping to get it done early in the week so I at least have like a solid 5 days before flying back to school as the first week is the worst. I'm so excited too because this hardware has definitely bothered me more than the hardware did in my left leg. And I can feel a few screw heads I think through the skin....which is cool but gross at the same time haha.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!! I'm so sorry that you have been through so many complications with your surgery––hopefully the hardware removal does the trick in relieving your pain and you can return back to work fairly soon after! I went crazy and like fell into a bit of a depression last semester being at home with my recovery, especially in the dead of winter and with all my friends gone at college....it was so horrible and makes your mind go a bit crazy!! I can't imagine 4 years! I really hope your operation goes well and gets rid of the pain your experiencing so you can get back to being active again!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 05:12:46 AM by JFVolleygirl27 »

Offline christine67

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2014, 10:04:40 AM »
Hi JFVolleygirl,

Thanks for your reply I have read both your posts.

I have not been able to find much information on hardware removal other than yours so this is very helpful thank-you.

I did not know what to expect as my OS just said I would be possibly on crutches for a week or so but that was it.

I am hoping to change my career to become a foster carer but I can not start the 8-9 months training until after this operation is over so that's why I wanted to now about the recovery time so I can let them now a rough time that I can start.

Thanks again and I hope every thing goes OK for you,

Chrissy67             
Dislocation in both knees in late teens
1988 realignment of R/knee
2009 Dislocations start again
Oct 2011 scope
Dec 2011 femoral de-rotation
April 2012 bone graft
Aug 2012 metal work removed and replaced with plate
Aug 2013 PFJR, tibia tuberosity transfer
April 2014 femur hardware removal.

Offline fluffy_unicorn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
  • Just keep swimming -- Dory
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2014, 03:16:08 AM »
Hey everyone! This is "jfvolleygirl" but my old account is deleted, and I have a new account now!

Anyway, updates! I returned to Texas over spring break---although this trip didn't go as smoothly as it could have, I am very happy with the surgery results. I got the hardware removed from my right leg a couple weeks ago (March 27). I was also scheduled to get incision revision on my left leg from my old surgery as that scar was very thick and indented in the skin. There was also a lump on my thigh along the incision that I always just assumed to be scar tissue, but it turned out to be a hernia. So I am glad I had the scar revision scheduled and was able to get this repaired during the same surgery.

I'm doing great now! Off crutches, doing stairs, and just started making an effort to go to the gym in the mornings before class to do the elliptical & bike. The first two weeks were somewhat rough since I had a surgery on both legs and I live on the second floor of my frat house. The house is a really close knit community though and everyone was SO incredibly wonderful in helping me get ice for my knee, holding doors, and bringing me pints of ice cream :) So this made recovering at university more manageable. I absolutely sucked at doing my therapy this past winter. But now that I am feeling better and the weather is nicer, I am finally starting to return to my normal motivated and active self which feels great.

My right knee (hardware removal) feels fine now overall. Still working on range of motion, but other than some stiffness and occasional soreness where the plate was removed, it feels great! Ironically my left leg is the one still giving me problems with the hernia repair. Sometimes when I bend my leg into a new position or go to stand up, I have to do it really slow because it feels like the skin is just tearing and burning....a horrible sensation. So I am waiting on that to pass. And I believe it will with the more active I am in order to keep stretching out the healing tissue in that area.

Another smaller concern is the problem with my hyperextension in my right leg. I really want to get a few more degrees to get even with my left leg. My doc seemed pretty confident that this will happen in time. I've been using ankle weights while doing prone hangs. Maybe I should try sleeping a whole night in that position  :-\

But the best news––I am ecstatic to say that THIS IS IT! This was my fourth and final surgery! I'm so thrilled to be done and able to do sports and travel and just live the rest of my life without the constant worry in the back of my mind about my knees dislocating. I feel so blessed to have been introduced to such a talented and dedicated surgeon, and to have had such successful results with my knees. I owe a lot to the people on this site who helped answer my questions when I had no success with local doctors in my area, and for encouraging me to find a surgeon I trusted before letting anyone touch my knee.

And because I always like to see the good that comes out of life's occasional curveballs, looking back to last fall, I am now actually very grateful that I wasn't able to continue with my study abroad plans this year due to my volleyball injury. I now have a surgery out of the way that would have been difficult to cover under the changing healthcare policy, I met amazing new friends at my school by joining a fraternity, and I was able to participate in on-campus recruiting for a summer internship and so will actually have money to travel and study abroad next year!

My next focus will be on building up muscle and getting back in shape. I'll continue to work on getting complete range of motion back in both legs by mid-May and eliminating stiffness through the elliptical, and then I am going to focus on strength training this summer. This is so important to me as I want to be in good shape for backpacking and study abroad next year. I have always wanted to learn to surf and want to do this next year! I took lessons once in FL when I was 17 and was so distracted the entire time about my knees dislocating and how awful that would be to deal with in the ocean with my ankle connected to a surfboard if it happened.

Anyway, I'm gonna try and attach some photos of both my legs and the incisions if interested! I'm so annoyed I never took a good "before" photo otherwise I would have posted that too. Anyway, back in the day I was slightly knock-kneed....my ankles were a good 3 inches apart when my knees were together!
(please ignore the messy room and dirty mirror ::))
We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand. -- some wise person

1/1/2010 - L. knee dislocation
06/2011 - dfo, ttt, mpfl
12/2011 - hardware removal
8/2013 - R. knee dislocation & fracture
10/2013 - dfo, ttt, mpfl
3/2014 - hardware removal & hernia repair
...and FINISHED! =D

Offline fluffy_unicorn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2014, 03:22:15 AM »
The photos.
We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand. -- some wise person

06/2011 - dfo, ttt, mpfl
10/2013 - dfo, ttt, mpfl
...and FINISHED! =D

Offline fluffy_unicorn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2014, 07:00:32 PM »
Just thought I would do a quick update. I'm doing well! I've been incredibly busy this summer with a finance internship and working as a residential advisor for a pre-college program. But it's been going great, and my knees haven't been slowing me down at all. I have been awful at going to the gym though. I have absolutely no free time and I average like 5-6 hours of sleep a night so I'm always exhausted when I get home. But I will be so active over the next year when I travel––so I'll get it back. I started running a bit in June and it went okay....I'm still getting some pain/popping on the inside calf area under my knee. My doc thinks it is just a scar tissue band. Other than that, its going great. I have two weeks left of my internship and then I'm flying out of NYC to do some backpacking overseas. I'm starting in Iceland, and I want to climb a volcano when I'm there woo! That'll help me get the muscle back. I start school again in mid-October. Looking forward to study abroad this year!

Everything really ended up working out for the better. I'm so glad I'm done now with knee surgeries. If I had studied abroad as planned last year, then I wouldn't have gotten the internship I did this summer....and I absolutely love the work I am doing. And now I have the opportunity to travel again this year. So everything really worked out––I can't complain. :)

06/2011 - dfo, ttt, mpfl
10/2013 - dfo, ttt, mpfl
...and FINISHED! =D

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 26
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2014, 04:58:44 PM »
Just checking in quickly to say I'm so glad to see progress is happening and most of all that you are happy and enjoying life and fixed legs. You know this recovery is a process, and I'm glad to read that things are good so far. Keep on trucking girlie! You are awesome!
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline fluffy_unicorn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2014, 08:50:58 PM »
Thanks for checking in on me, Crankerchick :)

I'm almost at the 1 year point now as my surgery was Oct 3 last year. My knee is doing great, and hasn't slowed me down at all while traveling! Except on some things that I knew wouldn't be safe for me to do yet until I finally get on therapy bandwagon and start strength training. But my muscles are definitely getting stronger just with my everyday activity. I've been backpacking since Aug 12 around Europe....so carrying my 30 pound backpack up hills and around cities has been helping me get my leg muscles back. I'm currently in Switzerland, working at a guesthouse in the mountains, and there is a trampoline in the backyard....so I have been using that the past few days too. I forgot how fun those are. I haven't tried flips yet though ;D haha. And tomorrow afternoon, I'm planning on doing a hiking trail up the mountain. I'm so out of shape, so that should be interesting.

The cracking and popping pain I was getting this summer whenever I made quick turning movements has stopped, just as doc said it would. He said it was a scar tissue band that would probably reconstruct over time....so I don't really get that anymore. It still cracks sometimes with activity or going downstairs or something, but I think that is also just scar tissue because it doesn't hurt at all.

My right leg is doing well also....the hernia spot doesn't bother me anymore and has healed completely. And of course, the knee is still doing great. I can't believe its been over 3 years now since my surgery on that leg. It barely cracks anymore....the scar tissue has really loosened up well I think.

So yeah...my main hurdle right now is developing a strength training regime. I don't want to be careless and do extreme sports or something without first having the proper muscle to protect my knees....they shouldn't dislocate anymore, but the last time I saw doc, he said I'm more susceptible now to like ACL injuries. So I really need to start concentrating on my leg and core muscles.

Anyway....I have 3 more weeks of traveling. After Switzerland, I am going to Prague. Then, I go back to London on Oct 4 and start orientation the following week. Classes start in mid-October. So I have had a 5 month summer....which is crazy. I actually can't wait to return to school. Oh, and good news! I got a full time offer for next summer to return with the Bank I interned for this summer! I loved my job this summer, so I will most likely accept the offer....I feel so ready to finish up my degree. And start making money to pay off all my school loans :p

I'll post updates every now and then!

06/2011 - dfo, ttt, mpfl
10/2013 - dfo, ttt, mpfl
...and FINISHED! =D

Offline Angel_shorty

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2014, 10:30:26 AM »
Hi all,

I am new to this site. I stumbled upon it before my surgery, so it did come handy for me. Just wanted to share my progress. A bit of my history:

I am a 32 year old female (turned 32 two weeks, one day post-op).
Left knee cartilage was worn out, and the knee had become knock-kneed, at 17% malalignment.
DFO performed on Tuesday, 23/09/2014 at St John of God Hospital, Murdoch, Western Australia, by an amazing OS, Mr Ben Jeffcote. Here is my story:

Tuesday, 23/09/2014: Checked in to hospital at 8:00am. Filled out paperwork for my admission and all the pre-surgery prep is done. 10:45am, I am wheeled into the holding bay, and not too long after, my anaesthetist comes and has a chat to me. Not too long after, my OS comes, talks me through the procedure again, and draws an arrow pointing to my left knee. I am then wheeled into the theatre. The anaesthetist pricks my left wrist (I have a phobia for needles), and apologises for not warning me beforehand. There is a wall-clock in the room. I look at it, and it says 11:15am...
I wake up in recovery at 2:15pm. The nurses come to check on me. I'm absolutely confused (read high on legal drugs  ;) ). I ask one of the nurses if the clock is working, coz the time is wrong...isn't it supposed to be 11:15am? I also tell her I am awaiting surgery. She bursts out laughing, and tells me I already had surgery and it went well. Apparently I'm the 2nd patient she's had waking up and asking the same thing. I'm given some sandwiches and apple juice, which I am struggling to eat...feeling so nauseous! I'm then moved to my room where I spend the rest of the day watching TV, and making use of my PCA. In the evening, I'm given dinner, which doesn't stay down too long. One of the nurses then gives me some maxolon via IV. Ten minutes later, I'm gasping for air, my whole body is shaking, and my throat and jaw muscles  are tight. With the little strength I have left, I press my bell and the nurse comes back. One look at me, and she presses the CODE BLUE button. Next thing I know, there is an army of doctors and nurses in my room. They give me something else via IV to counter the effect, and I settle down soon after. My OS comes to check on me, and is thoroughly annoyed. It's been about 8 hours post-op, and I haven't passed urine, and I haven't been catheterised. I can feel my tummy is bloated, so I convince him all I need is the bedpan, and all will be well. I completely refuse the catheter, so I'm given the bedpan. Little do I know, I haven't convinced him enough, and he is sure I am in no condition to make a medical condition. Eventually, the catheter is put in, despite my protests. I am later to learn that one of the effects of anaesthesia is urinary retention, a medical emergency which can cause damage to the lungs. The nurse on night shift comes and helps me get changed into a hospital gown. The whole time, I had the theatre gown. Good on him for noticing.

Post-op Day 2: I have breakfast, but I'm still quite nauseous. I have an X-Ray @ 9:30am, which I have absolutely recollection of. I only found out about this X-Ray after I was discharged. I suspect I may have been given something to put me to sleep to make it easier for the radiologist(s) without causing me too much agony. The physiotherapist and one of the nurses get me up and to the bathroom for a shower. The rest of the day is drama free, except for the constant nausea and dizziness. My parents, sister and a few friends come over to visit.

Post-op Day 3: The catheter is taken out before my shower  :) The morning doctor comes to have a chat to me. Apparently my blood count dropped drastically over night. I am on close-watch, and I'm told I need a blood transfusion. Sigh! The surgeon comes in later to check on the incision, and confirms that I do need a transfusion. He is annoyed again, because the blood was ordered ages ago, and he wants to know what is taking so long.

Offline Angel_shorty

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2014, 07:14:05 AM »
Post-op Day 4: I'm very dizzy and nauseous. I have a bit of physio, but don't get too far. The physiotherapist arranges for me to get more physio the following day, as I need to learn how too walk up and down stairs with crutches. I am on touch weight bearing. The OS still wants to keep an eye on me, to monitor my blood count.

Post op Day 5: I'm feeling much better. The physiotherapist teaches me how to walk up and down stairs. She organises one more session for the following morning before I get discharged, to ensure I'm safe enough, as I live in a townhouse with no railing. The OS comes to check on my progress. He is glad to see I'm looking much brighter, and he's happy for me to go home the following day after physio.

Post-op Day 6: I get physio before I'm discharged. So glad to be going home Oh! How I missed my bed. My sister and Mum pick me up. The ride from hospital to my place is so uncomfortable. Feels like we are taking forever to get home.

08/10/2014 Two weeks, one day Post-op: It's my birthday and I have my first post-op follow-up. I get the staples removed. I have a phobia for pain, so I'm glad to report the does not hurt  :D The surgeon's nurse puts some steri-stripes which I can remove after a couple of days. The incision has healed very well and quickly. The OS wants me to get a Maquet view X-Ray, so he can decide when I can start physiotherapy. I get the X-Ray done, the radiologist sends the results directly to his office, so all I can do now is wait to hear back from the OS's office.

The following day, the OS's receptionist phones me. Says the OS received my results. He is happy for me to start physio. However, I still HAVE TO wear the knee immobilizer whenever I am walking, and I am still to STRICTLY remain on touch weight bearing.

13/10/2014: I start physio. My new physiotherapist is equally impressed with my progress, and the healing of my incision. He shows me a few exercises to do at least 3-4 times a day, to strengthen my knee and thigh. I forgot to mention before, my incision was done on the right side of my left leg, and some of my thigh bone was used after realigning the knee, to preserve the knee joint with the help of a plate and 8 screws! He said my ROM is about 45 degrees, but we shall work on it to get to at least 90 degrees by the time I go for my next follow up in early November.

There are two things I am struggling with at the moment, and I would love to hear from anyone else who has had a similar experience.

1. Sleeping - When I was still in hospital, I asked my OS about my knee immobilizer. He said I can take it off when I'm resting and showering, but I have to wear it when I'm walking, to stablise/straighten my knee/leg. I started taking it off when I was discharged. I have struggled to sleep since then. I usually sleep on my left side with my knees bent, but that's out of the question for now, as I can't bend my knee too much, and my right leg will be on the way. I try to lie on my back, but I get uncomfortable so fast. I'm always tossing and turning, and can barely sleep. I mentioned this to the PT on Monday. He told me I can forget about getting a good night's sleep for a few months. However, suggested I try keeping the knee immobilizer on when I'm sleeping. I have been doing so, and I have found it a bit more comfortable, as it keeps the leg straight when I toss and turn. Any other tips would be helpful.

2. Bored - I am generally very independent, quite active and always out and about. I'm getting sick and tired of staying home all day, looking at the same four walls, and more so, having to rely on my sister, Mum (she returned to Kenya last week :'(, but was glad she was around to help me out for the first two weeks post-op) and friends for help with daily chores like cooking, laundry, cleaning etc. Lately, I have been getting quite emotional and teary about almost everything. I am trying to keep myself busy with movies and TV shows, but getting bored of doing the same thing day in day out. Some friends have suggested reading or knitting, but I generally dislike both. How were the rest of you able to cope with being restricted to home, PT appointments and occasional follow-up appointments?

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2014, 07:42:57 AM »
Hi there, and welcome to KG. Glad you decided to share your experience with your surgery. I'm not sure you know, but you are posting in the diary of another member. Your post is likely to be seen by and be more helpful to others if you start your own thread. This one is actually a bit dated.

To do that, go back to the main pAge where it lists all of the post op diaries and use the bar along the top and click new topic. Here's the link:
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?board=6.0

Good luck with your recovery!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 07:52:16 AM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline fluffy_unicorn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2014, 03:07:26 PM »
Just a quick update:

Everything is going well with the knees. I joined the rowing team at Oxford, which is not too hard on the knees. I was really wanting to join the vball team, but I don't think I'm up to a strength level yet appropriate to play competitively yet again. So I'm doing rowing, which has been a lot of fun and something I hadn't really done before coming here. Plus, its just something that EVERYONE does here....huge part of the culture. We just had our first round of circuits last night and I am SO sore. But my knees held out really great....and its that good pain that means you actually did something and are getting stronger. It also put it into perspective how ridiculously out of shape I have gotten since last August.....which is really depressing. I used to be in shape....it takes so much effort getting it back. And my arms are soooo weak. The part that is harder than the actual rowing is carrying the stupid boat out to the water and back. I think the coach kept thinking we were going to drop it. I thought we were too. My shoulder and back has been sore for like 5 days now. And now after circuits, everything is sore.

But yeah, rowing is forcing me to do strength training now which is good. So hopefully I'll really build up the muscle again in my legs over this next year.

Classes are going okay––it's so hard though. Oxford really earns its reputation. I have to research and prepare two 2000 word essays a week and really know what I'm talking about in tutorials. I feel like I started the term in what would be the equivalent of finals week in the United States....and its been finals week ever since. I can't wait for my 6 week christmas break....I'll have reached the halfway point for the term this Friday! I think the tutorial system is significantly better though....it really allows you to go more in depth into topics that are particularly interesting to you and it makes you learn faster and remember things. Because you write a massive essay on every single topic. So, it's been good! I feel like I'm kind of reliving my freshman year which is a surreal feeling....but I'm just going to soak it all up this year because next year I start a big girl job.

I went off topic. So yeah, my knees are doing great. Full range of motion and very little pain. The only time I get pain, its very sporadic and like sometimes my right knee pops if it isn't loosened up and I try to bend it all the way back...but i think this is from scar tissue. And it only happens sometimes....usually when i wake up in the morning stiff. I should start stretching again.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 03:11:14 PM by fluffy_unicorn »

06/2011 - dfo, ttt, mpfl
10/2013 - dfo, ttt, mpfl
...and FINISHED! =D

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2014, 03:34:14 PM »
You rock!
Mar '07 - plica excision