Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Distal/Medial TTT, MPFL, and Distal Femoral Osteotomy 10/3/13  (Read 30904 times)

JFVolleygirl27

Re: Distal/Medial TTT, MPFL, and Distal Femoral Osteotomy 10/3/13
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2013, 04:42:12 PM »
Post op day 23

Everything's going about the same with my knee. I'm just feeling so entirely discouraged this morning about not being able to lift my leg like in a straight leg raise. I spent so much time recently doing quad squeezes, attempting fake standing leg raises and my foot just plops back to the floor, and then I even tried doing half leg raises by putting a towel under my knee and then just trying to tighten and pull the lower part of my leg up, and I can't even do this. It's so so frustrating because I feel like despite how many quad squeezes I do, different things I try, or how much time I spend on the e-stem, I have made absolutely no progress with this. And it makes it really difficult to stay motivated to keep doing it. I feel like my lower leg is jelly, and just isn't listening at all to what my brain is telling it to do. And the fact i'm no closer to doing a slr worries me that I have some other rare problem from my injury that's preventing me from doing one aside from muscle weakness like nerve damage or a muscle tear or something. I've been unable to lift my leg since my injury on august 20. It's just so frustrating because everything was so easy after my left knee surgery (I had no injury prior to this)--i was able to do everything on the therapy protocol and I felt like I was making noticeable progress every week in terms of how much i was able to do. And now i feel like despite how much therapy I do, I'm getting no closer to being able to do a straight leg raise. My last idea is to try going to a pool soon to see if I can do it at all in the pool when my leg is effectively lighter, but its probs still too soon for that since my incision is still draining in a couple parts? Its almost laughable now to think that my incision still draining after 3 weeks was my largest concern after my left leg surgery.

Aside from my huge frustration with the inability to do a straight leg raise, I'm feeling fine about everything else. Incision looks good, been doing prone hangs to work on hyperextension, and doing the bike/cannon balls to work on range of motion and stiffness. I also think my stomach is definitely healed. I just went out to red lobster with my friend last night and ate so much food--like biscuits, mozzarella sticks, a massive seafood meal, and to top it off, a large cookie dessert with ice cream and fudge ;D It was so exciting to be able to enjoy eating out again, and have my appetite back!!

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 26
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2013, 02:16:53 AM »
Sounds like things are really improving. Happy to read this. I know what it feels like not to be able to eat. I'm 6 months into the same problem! It's none too fun, although an interesting way to drop pounds!

For the straight leg raise, just remember every leg is different, even on the same person. You are under much different circumstances this time, like you said, because of the injury prior to the surgery and the time lapse and muscle weakness and loss during that time.

I think you are doing fine, just keep pushing.

We had different surgeries, I know, but if it's any consolation, it took me 4 weeks to do a straight leg raise and it wasn't for lack of trying with every session of exercises plus just random times throughout the day because I'm stubborn and determined. How frustrating that was to concentrate so hard, try so hard, think so hard, and the leg just not even budge at all.

I too went with putting the towel under my knee and then doing the tightening of the quad to get my lower leg off the bed. It's more like a leg extension than a straight leg raise, but it's a start getting the quad to fire along with the other exercises.

3-4 times a day for 4 weeks I had someone helping me lift my leg to do the straight leg raises. Don't give up, keep doing them, even if you have someone else help you or if you use a belt or towel to help you do them. I usually tried myself first, then had my helper just lift when I'd tell them to. I would tighten my quad and do all I could to lift it, and then signal them to lift it up. At the peak I'd try to hold it there myself, usually failing, so I'd have them keep their support there since my leg would undoubtedly fall back down (learned that the hard way when my mom dropped my leg onto the bed 3 days post op at 4am in the morning). Around the 3 week mark, as I got closer to being able to do it, what I found helped the most in getting there was the trying to hold the leg in the air after my helper lifted it. I saw that I was starting to be able to hold it just a little in the air if they didn't lift it too high from the bed. When I finally did a whole whopping 1 or 2 raises on my own at exactly 4 weeks post-op, I got there if I remember correctly by having my helper still lift (after trying myself first) a few times and then me trying, sort of in rhythm with the 2-3 lifts they did first. Finally I got my leg to lift probably a whole inch off the bed, but it lifted. I think I pumped out 3 or 4 of those and then went to bed I was so exhausted. The next morning back at it and eventually (not sure how many days it took, would have to look back) I was able to do all of the reps and sets on my own and eventually do them all and have the appropriate height.

All this is to say the SLR came very tough for me, just like it is for you, and Doc still said I was doing fine and to just keep doing what I was doing. You're right, it's very frustrating, but it's not forever and you will get there. Just keep working it like I know you will.

Oh yeah, and hamstring curls for me were awful too. I just couldn't bend my leg to even 90 degrees standing up like that and it was very uncomfortable to do. It was odd because I had good ROM as far as cannonballs and heel slides, but standing and trying to bend like that just wasn't easy or comfortable. Again, just stick with it. It wasn't until my time with Ed almost 6 months later that I really was able to figure out how to alternatively work my hamstring and build some more muscle to be able to make progress with the standing leg curl. I was obviously working it all before that, and making progress, but it was something about Ed's way of doing it (and probably his pushing), that I don't know, made my leg respond. LOL. It was kind of like the SLR in that I could bend my leg back to a certain point and then it just wouldn't go, but if someone pushed it it would keep going. Clearly muscle weakness, not lack of ROM. It wasn't until hardware removal that the pain and pressure in my knee went away and that maneuver was a lot less painful. That's when I finally got my strength up and thus my active ROM back.

Chin up and keep pushing!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 02:24:07 AM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

JFVolleygirl27

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2013, 05:02:20 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement crankerchick! I will just keep trying to chip away at it and focus on getting my quads used to firing again from like the bike and quad squeezes. I spoke with my therapist too, and I think she is going to try and get me started on aquatics next week, so I will try standing straight leg raises in the pool. It just feels like the two parts of my leg don't remember how to work together. One of my best friends visited this weekend, and I kept telling her that i was concerned that I had some sort of femoral nerve damage from my injury, and she told me I am paranoid and need to stop googling things so much.

My stomach is definitely feeling back to normal––I just hope its okay that I haven't been taking anymore anti-inflammatories. I still think it was these that were irritating my stomach, but since I had synivitis in the joint and everything before surgery, it worries me a bit not continuing to take any as I am concerned about this returning.

I think what I really needed to do was just leave the house and get out with friends. I kind of tend to psych myself out when I'm home alone all day recovering and just google things that could be wrong. So anyway, my friend came home to visit me this weekend from college and it was so refreshing to get out and do things with her. We went shopping all afternoon yesterday, and although my knee was screaming by the end of it, I think it was good for me. Plus, I got a really cute black mock neck ruched sweater dress that I am so excited to wear once I can take the horrendous white stocking off my leg and am off crutches. And its all the more motivation to keep up the biking and therapy so that my legs will look halfway good in it come christmas time :)

I was so bummed when she was getting ready to return to school that I ended up cancelling therapy for this week, and decided to drive back with her last night to her university in Kentucky to visit--she's driving back up next weekend, so it works out really well since I don't have a car anymore. And she's such a great friend. We actually played with the same vball group this summer where I ultimately ended up with my injury. I debated whether it was a good idea at 3.5 weeks post op, but I could almost hear my doc's voice in my head telling me that everything will be fine, and to go live my life. So I brought my cryo cuff machine so I can ice while she is in class, and then we are going to go to the gym together everyday so I'll be able to keep up with the bike. And I'm sooooo glad I came....its so nice getting away from my house and being on a college campus again with people my age to talk to, places to go, and it just makes me feel independent again.

Offline Lee Tipton

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2013, 03:46:42 PM »
Dear JFVolley and Crankerchick,

I know that I am much older than you ladies - but I truly appreciate your posts.  I am exactly 1 week away from surgery.  I am scared - but excited that i will be behind me.

I am going to come back to your posts as I go through the rehab part of my recovery as I want to use it as encouragement for when I can't lift my leg by myself.

JFVolley - you have found what works for you.  Go on and live your life dear - and the rest of this will fall into place.  You are tough enough to handle what is coming your way and you have good family and friends that will be there to encourage you and keep you on the right path.  Sometimes in this electronic world we live in - too much information can hurt us as well as help us.  Google can conjure up things that we never dreamed of on our own.

Good luck to you both - and thanks Dr. Mark.
Sincerely,
Lee Tipton

JFVolleygirl27

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2013, 01:47:17 AM »
I JUST DID LIKE A PARTIAL STRAIGHT LEG RAISE!!!!!!!!!!! LIKE I HAD MY LEG UP STRAIGHT IN TAHE AIR AND THEN HELD IT THERE W/O MY HANDS, AND WENT UP AND DOWN A BIT. I COULDN'T DO EVEN THT TWO DAYS AGO!!!! NOW I'M GOING TO THE GYM TO TDO THE BIKE.

Offline chondro...huh?

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2013, 02:11:09 AM »
Remember moderation! Have fun and CONGRATS!!! It's all about the progress, not the perfection! Have a great day!
Susan
07/12 - injury
03/13 - scoping, cleaning
09/13 - TTT

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 26
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2013, 12:31:04 PM »
Great job!
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline Lee Tipton

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2013, 04:23:40 PM »
Dear JFVolleyGirl,

I just want to say congratulations on the SLR and ask how many you are able to do now?  I bet you are doing them all the time now.  Oh - to be young again!!

I want to wish you well and much continued success on your recovery.  I will probably not be back on here much before my surgery - which is Tuesday (11/5/13).  I have made plans to take off Friday and Monday to clean and prepare my plants and yards for winter conditions since I will not be able to do it later.

I will try to post after my surgery - but I am not sure I will be up for it.  We will see.  I am already a little nauseas just thinking about it - so I try hard not to.

May God Bless!!
Lee Tipton

JFVolleygirl27

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2013, 02:48:08 PM »
Post op week 4

Thanks Lee! I wish you the best of luck with your procedure––just try to stay positive. The mind really does play such a huge role in recovering.

I actually still haven't been able to do a full slr....but I have been working on them by bringing my leg up first, getting used to holding it there without my hands (which takes a surprising amount of effort), and then allowing my leg to move back and forth within my limit. If I try to allow my leg to go down past a certain point, its like I can do it keeping my leg straight, but I get a really sharp shooting pain in the ttt area and it really hurts. I feel like its really stressing this area. It might just be the pain now along the tibial tubercle that is holding me back at this point from doing one. Every time I try to go lower, this pain stops me. Now that I am fairly convinced I don't have nerve damage, I'm not too worried about it. Once the pain subsides in the ttt area, I think they will come much easier.

Other than that, I just started getting a sharp pain at the lateral edge of my knee, i think where the IT band connects. I think this started because of how I have been sleeping on my leg....i don't know though. But it was a big hindrance yesterday when I was trying to do cannon balls and the bike. I'm icing right now, and then I'll try massaging the IT band with a tennis ball.

I need to get on top of nutrition again....thats kind of been on the poorer side this week since I'm staying with friends at college. Lots of bdubs, alcohol, and sugar.

I'm also starting to feel more comfortable with putting a greater amount of weight on the leg while standing and walking––i think this means the bone is healing. It's like your body lets you know if/when its okay to start doing something....like my issue with the slr's, I think thats the body's way of protecting the ttt area.

hope everyone had a good halloween last night! :O

JFVolleygirl27

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2013, 08:11:23 PM »
Post op week 4.5

I feel like I made a lot of progress today! I had physical therapy this morning, and I did 45 mins on the bike beforehand with resistance. The quads on my left leg has been getting a great workout from the bike due to the fact that I am unconsciously babying my right leg on the bike. I remember this from my last surgery too. Still have a lot of stiffness, but the bike has been helping more and more recently. I'm still at 120-125 degrees rom. I am at 0 degrees hyperextension. The incision is looking way better and has stopped draining.

I did a lot of quad work today, and its definitely much better than it was at my last pt appt 2 weeks ago. And I feel like I am getting closer to a full straight leg raise. My doc called at the beginning of my therapy session this morning to check in, and told me that I could now start transitioning to 1 crutch!! :) This was a pleasant surprise as I am so tired of crutches. My therapist overheard, so after I got off the phone with doc, we went into the hall so that I could work on using one crutch. This is going okay I think....I feel really unstable tho due to the weak muscles so I like to have something on the other side like a wall just in case, but it can only help with getting the muscle back. It still freaks me out a bit that i might be putting too much pressure on the ttt and dfo areas, but the pain wasn't bad. The ttt area was just a bit achy when I was walking, but it was definitely bearable. And it made a small popping sound quite a few times, but it didn't hurt.

My leg was totally sore after today's therapy session, so i am just icing right now. My visit to my friends uni in Kentucky last week really helped me mentally, and put me in much brighter spirits––and I discovered that whiskey is a much more appealing pain reliever than norco ever was. Two of my friends' roomies also have problems with dislocating kneecaps which was really ironic. We all bonded over it haha. One girl had a lateral release which has helped the one knee, but the other one has had 3 surgeries (one was also a lateral release) that have all pretty much failed--she also has patella alta, and has seen multiple surgeons for the pain in her knees. So I gave her the info for my doc, and i think she was going to talk to her parents about going out of state for a consultation since she has had no luck in kentucky.

I definitely needed to get out of the house and spend time with friends. I've just been soooo incredibly stressed and bitter since my injury in August, and then traveling overseas with it while trying to concentrate on a project/internship, then needing to cancel my year abroad at Oxford for a surgery that I was hoping could wait till after graduation, and this recovery just started out so much more eventful and painful than my first surgery. I think i had just fallen into a bit of a depression, but I'm feeling much better now. In the end though, i think I'll be happy I got it over with before grad, despite the fact I am now a semester behind....and who knows if it even would have been feasible after the healthcare industry changes next year. 

Anyway, I feel like things are definitely starting to improve!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:20:16 PM by JFVolleygirl27 »

Offline Lee Tipton

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2013, 02:59:07 AM »
Dear JFVolleyGirl,

Coming from a much older lady to a much younger gal - you may have lost this semester - but you have gained your future kiddo.  That knee/leg issue - left un-attended would have changed your life forevermore.  I think you are a wise person that dealt with it now as opposed to after graduation.  You are young enough to heal quickly and it is now behind you.  Personally - I think you are a very smart cookie.

I am glad you are feeling better and I know that you have a bright and wonderful future in front of you. Keep pushing and may God Bless.

Sincerely,
Lee Tipton

JFVolleygirl27

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2013, 03:40:23 AM »
post op 5 weeks

I start aquatics tomorrow. At 6:45am...eww. My appt was originally at 6. I didn't even know they opened that early, but there was no other time. Then i got a call today from my aquatics therapist saying that another patient wanted my 6 am if I would be willing to switch. So I get like an extra 40 mins of sleep.

Sleeping is something I have been having trouble with again this week. Before last night at least. I was taking tylenol pm, but it wasn't doing anything....I would fall asleep initially exhausted, and then wake up like every 20 mins and not be able to go to sleep again. It was miserable. So I was tired and a pessimistic patty the past two days. But anyway, I found some old ambien and took one last night and it did the trick! I got like 6 straight hours of sleep. It was blissful.

I'm making some headway with the straight leg raises. started with my leg up straight in the air and went down about half way and then back up today at therapy––just kind of doing it backwards. It really hurts the ttt area when I try to do these.....like it just starts throbbing. And then once i take the pressure off, its immediately gone.

My leg has been really sore after these last two therapy sessions. I felt really good at therapy on monday, and then felt like i took 3 steps backward the next day cuz my knee was super sore, particularly the ttt area. I have been walking with one crutch when i feel like I can tolerate it, but then resort back to two when the ttt area is feeling sore or achy like after monday's therapy. I can't tell if its a good, getting stronger sore or bad sore. But I'm at least making progress at therapy now. And soreness dissipates after a day. So I think its a good sore?

I did an hour on the bike and I actually felt like my right quads got a small work out this time. I think range of motion is around the same...may be a bit better. it looks like 130 to me. I've been working on cannon balls a lot the past 3 days and it sure feels like i am breaking through a few degrees of scar tissue when I am doing them, so I hope its more than 120 now. We didn't measure it today. And whenever I do measure it at therapy, its never when I have had adequate time to spend stretching...I always feel like I could do a bit better if i just let gravity pull my leg down for a bit. I need to get my own protractor tool.

Thats it. I'm excited to get my 6 week xrays to see how much the bone has healed.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 03:45:09 AM by JFVolleygirl27 »

JFVolleygirl27

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2013, 03:41:47 PM »
I just did a real straight leg raise in pool therapy today!!! :) ;) :D ;D ::) :o

Actually quite a few once I remembered how I do it, and I could hold it. I think it was a muscle memory thing. I'm happy!

I absolutely love aquatics. I've always been in love with the water since I was like 2. I wish it was summer so I could swim at my friends pool like after the last surgery.

Offline Lee Tipton

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2013, 04:27:56 PM »
My goodness Girl!!!  You have had a very productive week - so I think congratulations are called for!!!

May I please put in my 2 cents worth on the TTT soreness??  I can't help but think that it is a good thing.  I think any soreness after a workout is good because that can only mean that blood is going to that area - which makes it throb - and that means HEALING IS HAPPENING!!  And that is ALWAYS a great thing.

I have read several accounts of people on here that end up with problems healing their bones.  I am praying that will NOT be my case - but I will deal with it if it is.

Much luck and continued progress to you JFVolleyGirl!!
Lee Tipton

JFVolleygirl27

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2013, 08:26:12 PM »
thanks for the encouragement!

Today's going better than yesterday....my leg was aching again after therapy so i pretty much iced the rest of the day. I did some exercises this morning and i feel like the quads are definitely startin to fire up. Leg extensions really hurt still when i get to a certain point...like 40%. I get pain on the side of the kneecap and it like pops sometime.

I'm getting more comfy using one crutch....sometimes it hurts a bit like in the lower part of my leg, other times it feels fine. I just kind of alternate.

I'm going to U of I volleyball game tonight so I'm excited for this––i really miss volleyball. And I think it will motivate me.

And then I am going to get froyo :)

The incision is looking great! I'm glad nylon sutures were used this time. The incision on my other leg is jealous. I want to get plastic surgery or something in the future once I can afford it to lift the scar so my legs look better in dresses/skirts....I think the scar tissue in the leg is pulling the scar down so there is an indention in the skin. But maybe it will improve too once I get some muscle definition in my legs. I plan on focusing on strength training next semester.

I get my 6 week xrays on thursday!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 08:31:58 PM by JFVolleygirl27 »