Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Distal/Medial TTT, MPFL, and Distal Femoral Osteotomy 10/3/13  (Read 30902 times)

JFVolleygirl27

Distal/Medial TTT, MPFL, and Distal Femoral Osteotomy 10/3/13
« on: September 12, 2013, 09:51:37 PM »
x
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 01:50:56 AM by JFVolleygirl27 »

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 26
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: Distal/Medial TTT, MPFL, and Distal Femoral Osteotomy 8/3/13
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 03:34:47 PM »
Such crappy timing! Really sorry that you had to cancel your study abroad! Things will work out, though, as you said. You will have two good knees (you will!) and be back to the activities you've rediscovered after your last surgery.

As for horror stories and the like, just try to be positive. Once again, you have set yourself up with the best tools for a successful outcome. You have a great surgeon with a great team and you have done your part to put yourself in the best position for a good outcome. No matter what, you have put all the pieces into place and things should go well. I'm sure you need to have all the damage assessed, and that will somewhat dictate what all needs to be done and how well things function post-surgery, but going in knowing that whatever is wrong, the right things will be fixed should give you comfort. After that, you just do your part by listening to the guys and doing all your rehab and I know you'll be good to go.

Keep us posted and good luck with your documentary! I know that can't be easy on crutches, but at least you are there and participating and for an awesome cause.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

JFVolleygirl27

Re: Distal/Medial TTT, MPFL, and Distal Femoral Osteotomy 10/3/13
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 11:49:03 PM »
Post op day 1

This hospital doesn't have wifi so I'm writing this on my iPhone, hence I apologize in advance for any grammatical errors. My surgery was yesterday. I have been on an epidural so I don't feel too much pain. I just had them lower it from 8cc to 4cc today though so that I can actually feel my leg and move my foot - that's been bothering me. So now I feel a bit of ache and pain in my leg but it's manageable. My recovery is slightly different this time as I have spent the past two days on bed rest. With my last knee surgery I was doing cannon balls at day 0 and walking the next day. Right now though I cant imagine walking with the epidural in. Doc said that resting at 90 degrees for first two days will dramatically decrease bleeding. Whic I believe - my knee has swelled much less than my other one did.

Other issues - my hemoglobin count is at 8.6. This has been fine since I've just been lying but I'm worried for when I try to get up and start walking with crutches as this was when it really affected me last time.

Other than that I'm just super exhausted and since I've lessened the epidural today, I've noticed that I'll sometimes get muscle spasms when I'm trying to sleep especially. Anyway, wish me luck tomorrow with the beginning of therapy. I'm scared to death of falling...particularly when I go to the friends home I'm staying with here bc the yard is full of over grown weeds and branches that crutches could easily get caught in and steep stairs. But hopefully I'll be fine.

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 26
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 12:14:28 AM »
Yay! Thanks for updating and letting us know how things are going. Hope tomorrow goes well for you and your pain stays under control as you decrease the epidural.

You're right, it is quite different protocol this go around. I can't imagine epidural or not moving post-op. Epidural and no pain always makes me kind of jealous, I can't lie.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline chondro...huh?

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 04:56:02 AM »
Congrats on finally getting the surgery. I'm a little jealous of the epidural. I had a femoral nerve block. One shot and I had no feeling from mod thigh to ankle. I was / am no weight bearing for 6 weeks... Boy am I counting them down... 2 1/2 down 3 1/2 to go. Will you be able to bear weight from the start this time? Or will you have weight bearing limits? Good luck on PT tomorrow and dc the epidural.
Susan
07/12 - injury
03/13 - scoping, cleaning
09/13 - TTT

JFVolleygirl27

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 06:45:05 AM »
Post op day 5

thanks for all the good luck wishes!

I'm now back "home" – we are staying at a friends house in houston until our flight to Illinois this Saturday. My time in the hospital was pretty awful...I had some bad reactions to all the medicines they were giving me, resulting in lots of nausea. Post op day 2 was the worst in terms of medicine reactions and pain. The epidural came off and I am finally given the okay to start doing cannon balls. I really wish I could have started cannon balls the day before while still on the epidural like I did the last surgery on my left knee––I am pretty sure i would have more range of motion than I do now this time around. I am around 110-120 degrees, and I was at 135-140 degrees with my left knee from early mobilization. After the epidural came off, I was in loads of pain and they decided to give me dilata pain medicine through my IV. This just made me feel irritable, nauseous, emotional, and completely loopy. After 3 shots of this, I stopped taking it because i think it was just too much on my body. That day and the next, I threw up everything I tried to eat and they had also already taken me off the IV. I tried to ask them to put me back on the IV on Sunday (post op day 3) because I was so dehydrated, but they wouldn't. I wasn't able to walk with the therapist on Saturday at all because as soon as I stood up, I started vomiting. She just looked annoyed because she had come in on her day off and I was unable to do anything yet because I was so dehydrated and sick. The same thing happened when my doctor came in on Sunday.....I walked a little and then started throwing up again. At this point he ordered the nurses to put me back on the IV to help get me hydrated again and stopped one of the drugs that he thought was causing the nausea. This helped a lot and I was able to walk that night. I was then discharged on Monday early afternoon after begging the nurses to let me shower before I left.

I also learned from my surgical report that I had a large amount of synivitis that was found in my knee. I researched it a bit but am still slightly confused by it. Has anyone ever had this in their knee? I read that there was a 45% chance of re-occurrence, but I am hoping since I developed it from a traumatic injury rather than a disease, that this lessens my chance of getting it again.

Today I went to my first therapy session at the clinic and it was miserable. I have been worried about putting too much weight on my leg because i was told in the hospital to only put 10 pounds on it. I didn't realize it was safe to put more on the first few days without damaging anything or straining the surgical site too much. After my left knee surgery, I was told the max was 20 pounds after a few days of walking with 10 pounds. When I got there, the doctor made me attempt to walk full weightbearing several feet to my crutches. I did a few pathetic baby steps before stopping––I didn't want to take the chance of hurting anything in my knee. I probably would have been fine because I don't think doc would encourage me to do something that would hurt what was done, forcing me to get a repair that could have been avoided, but at 5 days post op, I would have had to have been super drunk for anyone to convince me to walk 10 feet full weightbearing after a distal femoral osteotomy, tibial tubercle transfer, and mpfl reconstruction. I am a total advocate when it comes to aggressive rehab, but I think this is pushing it.

I proceeded to do the bike, no resistance, for the first time which was very painful. Every time I pedaled with my right knee I got a sharp pain right below the patella where the ttt was. At one point where I tried to pedal with some resistance against my right leg, I felt a horribly painful sensation on the medial side of the knee. Eventually though, my knee loosened up a bit more on the bike and I just did my best to continue pedaling despite that sharp pain below my knee.

After getting home from therapy, I was in so much pain and my knee swelled up quite a bit––it looked double the size of my other knee. I took two norco and iced/elevated my knee for the next 4 hours. I then returned to doing some cannon balls so that I don't lose any of the rom that I got during the day. It's been a really painful process though and I have lots of pain now in the TTT area when I try to do one. I am hoping this dissipates by tomorrow as I'd like to go back on the bike again, but it will depend on the condition of my knee. It might be better to take a day off to rest, ice, and just do cannon balls.

I don't know why this surgery is so much more eventful and painful than my last one. I guess I got really lucky with my left knee surgery as my pain was more under control with less reactions to the meds, I could do better cannon balls with much greater rom, and I could do straight leg raises. I am not able to lift my right leg right now without some sort of support and its completely frustrating. Since my injury in August, I haven't been able to do a straight leg raise....I think my vmo muscle is completely shot right now. Overall, i can't help but feel much more pessimistic about this recovery––I was the complete opposite after getting my left knee done. It has just been a terrible first week, but hopefully things will start improving and I'll do my best to be more optimistic about my recovery.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 06:47:26 AM by JFVolleygirl27 »

JFVolleygirl27

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 04:11:08 AM »
Post op day 6

I'm happy to say that today was SO much better with everything. My doctor called me this morning because he could tell how discouraged I was yesterday and explained that since this procedure was fixing an acute injury it makes since that it is more painful here in the beginning than after my left knee surgery. I also asked doc about the synivitis that was found in my knee and he explained why it had formed and that there was a low chance of it coming back since I developed it from an acute injury and not a disease. Overall, this conversation was really good, helped ease my mind, and gave me a more positive outlook on my recovery. This will just be more painful than my last surgery in the beginning, but I'm willing to fight through it as best as I can to get to the end result.

So this morning after speaking with my doctor, I did quite a few cannon ball exercises to get my knee loose for therapy. These went pretty well....I actually think its more painful after being in the cannon ball for a while and then having to straighten the leg back out. I get a sharp pain in the knee joint when straightening out, but I remember this from my left knee too. The more cannon balls and bicycle rides I do, the more that pain seems to go away.

After doing some cannon balls, I just focused on getting out of bed and walking around like doc suggested. I went outside on the porch to sit with my mom末it was such a nice day out today so I am glad I got to spend some time sitting outside and getting some natural vitamin D.

Around 1 pm, I went to therapy feeling much better today. It eased my mind to know that its okay to put more than 10 pounds of weight on my leg....this really helps with balancing and taking some pressure off my arms with the crutches. And anyway, doc took the bandage off my incision for the first time today, and it looks really good. Well gross where it was still bloody, but I think this incision will heal very nicely. It was closed with nylon sutures this time rather than the surgical glue which allowed my last incision to drain for quite some time. The incision was cleaned and then gauze was placed over it so that I could pull the compression stocking over it.

After cleaning my incision, I did a cannon ball to warm up for the bike and then got on the bike for around 30 mins I think. It hurt initially again for the first half, but then it loosened up really nicely this time and I got a nice steady motion going that was pain free. My knee felt much better this time after the bike. I remember from my left knee too that the stiffness and pain improved immensely after starting an hour on the bike every day. I'm hoping that I'll be comfortable with increasing the speed a bit more tomorrow. After the bike, I got some xrays and everything is looking good.

Doc also showed me a few exercises that I can do to help with straight leg raises as I've been pretty frustrated with not being able to do these with my right leg. Ironically, on the way back from the appt, I was sitting on the backseat of the car with my leg stretched out on a pillow and I looked over on the other side of the seat after seeing a huge black moving thing in my peripheral vision. I nearly had a panic attack when i realized it was a 2 inch cockroach crawling down the seat toward me. I screamed and jumped as close to the driver seat as possible, and a moment later末after seriously considering flinging myself to the front seat末I remembered that I had recently gotten surgery and probably couldn't manage that, and then i realized my right leg had came with me to the edge of the seat. this meant that as a reflex and without even thinking about it, I had managed to lift my leg without support to bring it off the seat. The joy from this was postponed while i squealed in the backseat, flinging my purse at the cockroach when it started crawling really fast toward me, and until my mom was finally able to pull over and help get it out of the car.

Anyway, we had ended up stopping at a subway to deal with the cockroach so we decided to eat an early dinner there because I had to get out of the car after that. At this point, I found it difficult to walk with crutches merely because I was still shaking from the cockroach incident. No idea how that thing got in the car, but I refuse to sit in the backseat now in fear that it had babies or something back there. I was still in shock too that I had somehow managed to lift my leg without support末this was so exciting that I texted my doctor about it, and he texted back telling me to offer the cockroach a job at his office. He later called me that evening to tell me that so much of it is mental when it comes to being able to do things with my leg such as a straight leg raise. This was all so ironic because yesterday, he had told me when I was attempting to walk full weightbearing that if there was a lion behind me, I would be able to run. Anyway, I thought it was pretty awesome to have a doctor that called me just to pass on some motivation and wisdom :)

After Subway, my mom and I ran a few errands at Walmart and ended up getting lost on the way home. So we got back pretty late and my leg had swelled up quite a bit from all the action. So I'm just icing and elevating it right now to get the swelling down. I bought a halloween-themed cookie cake at wal-mart today and plan to dig into that tonight. I'm finally starting to get an appetite back which is great.

That's it really. Overall, today was the first really good day since surgery, and I am feeling so much more like my optimistic self. I also apologize for the length末my updates should shorten up here soon since my leg is improving (and granted there aren't anymore cockroach episodes).

Offline chondro...huh?

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 04:42:45 AM »
So what is a cannonball? ??? I wanna see if I can do them too!  :D

I laughed so hard I almost peed myself regarding your cockroach incident. But, I totally get it. I'm generally a very laid back person... My mother in law laughed out loud at me on several occasions because of my similar reaction to bees in the house. It is bee season here and they sneak in when the doors open. I totally freak out with them because I cannot run, duck, or seat when I am standing! Hope there aren't anymore hitch hikers in your car!
Susan
07/12 - injury
09/13 - TTT

JFVolleygirl27

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 04:55:28 PM »
Susan, the cannon ball is a stretching exercise that my doctor has people who have had knee surgery do 48 hours after surgery. With my left knee two years ago I started them 4 hours after surgery, but had a lot more bleeding and swelling. It involves bringing your surgical leg back toward your chest while laying down on your back, and then allowing your surgical leg to drop as far as it will go and holding it there for a while. It helps with ROM after surgery and prevents your leg from getting stiff, as well as helps with pain. They hurt to do, but are worth it in the long run.

And i'm the same way with bees thanks to my mom. Haha, she taught me to run away whenever I saw a bee as a kid....it takes so much willpower for me to stay still like you are supposed to when a bee starts flying around me. I just hate insects in general haha.

Hope your recovery is going well, too! What procedure did you get?

Offline chondro...huh?

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 06:23:25 PM »
I had a 'simple' TTT ;) onSept 18, so am about 3 weeks out. I've been doing heel slides since day one. My surgeon does it as an outpatient procedure.  I may have to try these cannonballs. They sound easy enough- hahaha.   ;D I'm trying to get creative in my exercising as I have so many restrictions, but want to try to keep all muscles in surgical leg activated. My PT says I'm going to bored senseless until I can bear weight then I'm going to wish I had more restrictions. Sounds about right!

Hope that you are having a good day!
Susan
07/12 - injury
09/13 - TTT

JFVolleygirl27

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 02:51:08 AM »
Post op Week 1

Today was great! The pain in my knee has improved tremendously, most likely since I have started therapy and have begun moving it. I am shocked by the improvement that has occurred merely between today and Tuesday. I actually just took one narcotic just before therapy, and haven't really felt the need to take any pain meds since which is great because I am that lucky person who gets all the bad symptoms that come along with it. The pain is totally bearable at the moment. I showered today which was wonderful, and then went to therapy again at 2. I spent about 40 minutes on the bike which really loosened my knee, and did a few cannon balls. My rom is at 120 right now. The trainer at the clinic is simply amazing....he pushed me, but was still very conscientious about the pain that some of the exercises caused. I worked on some straight leg raises (still can't do these without support), as well as some exercises to work on my hip abductor muscles. My muscles were burning by the end since they haven't been used in so long due to my injury, but it was a good sensation because it means I accomplished something and am working on bringing those muscles back to life. My knee also didn't swell all that much after the session. I feel that this week will be a huge improvement to this past week as I've already had a 180 degree turn since two or three days ago. Now that the worst is over, I'm feeling so incredibly blessed to have been able to get two really great surgeries in the past two years and now have two straight and stable legs. And I'm so thankful to my mom who has put up with me and helped me through it all. I still have quite a few weeks left on crutches, but I'm just happy to have gotten through week 1 and to now be improving.

-----

Susan, it sounds like you have the right attitude about your recovery! I wish you the best of luck. And the cannon ball stretches really help with range of motion if thats something you're working on now.

JFVolleygirl27

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 03:07:18 AM »
Post op day 8

Today went fine. I woke up in some pain so I had another norco this morning. Then I went to therapy, rode the bike, went over some exercises that I can do at home, and then talked with doc one last time. He had me try to walk with only one crutch again on my leg, and this went better since my leg just feels better all around.after this, my mom and I had plans to go to the movies to see gravity (it was ok), but oddly enough right after pt with the friends we are staying with, and I started feeling nauseous during the car trip. I was so happy bc I thought the unfriendly side effects of the meds were over but apparently not. I have also been getting chest pain occasionally but it's never been too bad. I noticed last night that my chest hurt a bit and my heart was pounding. I was going to bring it up at the clinic today but forgot. It doesn't happen too often though. But anyway I ended up throwing up during the drive to the movie. Luckily the clinic had just given my mom a bag of sample Aleve, otherwise I wouldn't have been prepared for that.

Anyway I'm completely fed up with all the meds....the unpredictable symptoms are worse than the knee pain I think. So I've decided to go ahead and officially stop them.

Aside from this nausea incident though it was a good day. I fly home tomorrow

« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 03:11:22 AM by JFVolleygirl27 »

Offline chondro...huh?

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 08:10:46 PM »
I hope that the pain and nausea are better today! Good luck in your travels. You are a brave soul to fly so soon after surgery. FYI I find Eire one of the best pain relievers. Make sure to have some available after PT!
Susan
07/12 - injury
09/13 - TTT

JFVolleygirl27

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 07:02:11 PM »
Post op day 10

I got back home late Saturday night. My knee swelled up quite a bit and became very painful from the travel末flying directly after knee surgery is probably one of my least favorite things in the world. I'm not  looking forward to the flight back to Houston next Tuesday to get the nylon sutures out. I also got new crutches and was planning on decorating them but never felt up to it the first week after surgery. unfortunately, I accidentally forgot them at the house of the friends we were staying with. I would like to take them back this time around, but not sure how I will be able to handle it since I will still be on crutches and traveling alone. Maybe I'll just leave my bright pink pair behind and take the other pair instead. It's getting embarrassing using my old pair....they look so childish now haha.

Anyway, since flying I had quite a bit of pain still in my leg most of yesterday so I ended up taking a narcotic to help me sleep last night. And, not surprisingly, I threw up again this morning when I woke up. I need to get tylenol pm. I have no idea why my body is reacting like this to the meds-I was able to handle them fine from the first surgery.

I have been working on lots of cannonballs to maintain my rom. These are going fine. Painful, but fine. My main area of soreness and discomfort right now are in the TTT area...its been quite achy the past couple days. My calf area is really sore too....I've been messaging this area. I think its just muscle soreness, but its also a bit worrisome because I know thats something that could indicate a blood clot.

I have my first PT appt tomorrow morning with the same trainer I had last surgery. I'm looking forward to it.....I always feel better when I am being proactive. I am planning on buying a stationary bike today or tomorrow at Walmart.

JFVolleygirl27

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 02:07:54 PM »
Post op day 14

I'm on my way to my second therapy session. I think I need to try and start on my meds again. I've just been taking Aleve and tylenol but I have been having such trouble sleeping at night. I will fall asleep initially and then wake up a few hours later and my leg is just achy and throbbing and I can't fall back asleep. Since Saturday night I have not been able to sleep past 3-5 hours a night and it's really catching up with me at this point. I don't really know what to do....I'm hoping the medicine just works better with my stomach now that I have been forcing myself to eat a decent amount. I haven't really felt that well anyway - probably from lack of sleep. I don't know.

Other than sleeping problems, things are about the same. Rom was aroun 110 last therapy session. I've been working on cannon balls, hyperextension, and the bike. And quad squeezes. I still suck at leg raises, leg extensions, and leg curls. I get a lot of pain when I try to do these exercises. I've been getting most pain in the thigh area on the side...like a sharp pain occasionally when I extend my leg out, and then some soreness and occasionally throbbing in the ttt area.

The incision is starting to look much better.

support