Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 16 y/o daughters osteochondral allograft  (Read 19070 times)

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
Re: 16 y/o daughters osteochondral allograft
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2014, 11:46:55 PM »
Awesome!

At this point you can safely say this is a success story, we need more of these here... of course an operated knee will never be the same again, but if she can run cross country at all, it's because things were properly done and worked.

All the best for you and her and Merry Xmas ( no knee pain in the sock :D ).

Offline hopalong2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2014, 10:03:28 PM »
Thanks so much for posting with longer-term follow up!
It's so helpful for those of us who have gotten past the initial stage but are still wondering where we'll end up in terms of functionality and pain.  Best wishes to your daughter for continued progress.

Offline xclaxmom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2015, 04:02:15 PM »
Update:  19months post op

My daughters graft is is still doing well. Every now and then it aches a little, but it only lasts a day. She is running track and doing hurdles. Yes hurdles. They wouldn't have been my first choice but my daughter assures me that she doesn't land on that knee. She also promised me that if she has any real pain she will stop. Hope this info helps everyone.

Offline xclaxmom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2016, 01:21:25 PM »
Just wanted to give a quick update on my daughters knee. All is still well and the allograft is holding up. She is now just over 3 years post op. She is a sophomore in college and living on her own. Last spring she was training for a half marathon. She was running 8-10 miles a day. Against my wishes of course. She was happy to knock half marathon off her bucket list. The only thing that still bothers her about the knee is how it locks when bent and sitting. She sometimes has to manually release it to stand. There is no pain with this. Hope this helps others.

Offline BezProblemów

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2017, 03:47:09 AM »
Thanks for all the updates Xclax; they're really helpful and it's great to hear your daughter is doing well.

I wonder if the sitting issue could be scar tissue-related. 

Tell her to make sure she is tracking mileage on her running shoes and replacing when they get too high.  That was one of my mistakes that led to my knee problems.  And a half marathon is plenty, no need to do a full :) 

support