Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 16 y/o daughters osteochondral allograft  (Read 18990 times)

Offline xclaxmom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
Re: 16 y/o daughters osteochondral allograft
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 02:05:49 AM »
Hi Thornburg.
It's now been a week since her Doctor released her from not wearing her knee brace.  Her knee is not doing great. It definitely swelled more this past week. It is hurting more, so the Pt and I decided to still hold her back some because the Pt said she doesn't listen to her body and pushes through the pain too much. She is riding the bike for 10 minutes, and stretching her ROM, other than that everything is straight leg.

I've been really concerned because she is still experiencing the old pain that she had when the weather is cold and when there is a storm coming.  Unfortunately her knee is still locking 3-4 times a day too. I know it's only been 5 weeks but I don't think this is normal.

Offline thornburg

• Regular Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 03:06:47 PM »
Hi xclaxmom -

I'm sorry to hear the knee is not responding as well right now.   She really needs to listen to her body and knee (but that is 16 yr old for ya!)  ;-)
She cant push it to hard or to fast ... the joint still needs time to heal.  It almost like rehab is cyclical ... smooth sailing, add new stuff to routine, knee gets fired up and is unhappy .. then calm again.

As far as weather, I can tell you when its gonna storm before the weather folks can!   LOL
My knee is highly affected by rain/storms .. when the pressure changes.   Now, I have had 6 knee surgeries so I have a bit more wear and tear which I assume it is what it is.

Very sorry to hear about the locking.  Does PT have any thoughts on why the knee is still locking?  How does it feel when she rides the bike?  is the locking just when walking or other exercises too?

I know its all frustrating when "previous" issue(s) still exist, try to stay positive and tell her this is a long haul recovery.  Its going to take time, be patient!

keep us posted on how the next 7-10 days go ... hope it improves for her!

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 11:29:27 PM »
It's too early to tell... 5 weeks? That is still inflammation season, pain, weird feelings, weakness, atrophy of muscles and tendons due to immobilization, issues growing them back, breaking scar tissue, dealing with fluid changes in the join, etc.

Lockings from time to time? Yes... they will happen, especially if things are over forced (protective inflammation) ...

This will take more time than 5 weeks... no worries, just make sure she doesn't overdue exercises and throw it all away...

Offline xclaxmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 01:54:39 PM »
Thanks MDAL.  After reading your post I relaxed a little bit.

7-8 weeks post op.
Swelling has improved a bit. I figured out that when her knee would swell, is after going to watch her team race cross country. Even though she was told to take it easy, sit and watch. She of course wasn't. 

Her insicion opened up a tiny bit and oozed but quickly scabbed and nothing more happened. We were surprised that this would happen at 6 weeks, but the body is full of surprises.

PT changed. In addition to doing all of her stretches, she is also doing lifts with weights. Mostly straight leg exercises with weight.  This was good for her because she was very bored with old routine. Still no squats or lunges. Also keeping knee straight going up and down stairs to protect graft site.

All in all she is doing better pain and swelling wise. She still has so bad days. Her knee is still locking up around 5 times a day. Sometimes she has to use her other leg to help release it just like before surgery. Hopefully it is just scar tissue. Hope everyone is doing well.

Offline xclaxmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 07:46:02 PM »
10 weeks

Went to see her Dr. On Friday.  He said she is doing great and he wished all his patients looked as good as her. Her swelling is very minimal and her range of motion is almost normal. He even mentioned her returning to sports eventually but since she is a distance runner she wouldn't be able to get in shape soon enough before the spring track season I want her to just focus on recovery. He also has released her from PT. He said exercises can be done on her own. She is to just focus on building her quad muscles back. She is happy about not going to PT but has no idea really what to do and how hard to push herself.  Her knee is still locking a lot but he thinks it's getting caught on something and not to worry about it. Daughter insists it's like before when she originally started having knee pain.

She also had a blood test, to check her antibodies against the graft. She wasn't very happy about this little surprise.  Next appointment is scheduled for March which will be 6 month checkup.  Recovery and rehab protocol for this procedure has been much quicker than when she had her microfracture.  Still crossing our fingers that this is a success this time.

Offline thornburg

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 01:28:01 PM »
Congrats on the great checkup news from doctor!  Those are always good to have & hear!

Recovery is a slow long process .. just keep that in mind!  Slow and steady will win!  ;)
(I have to remind myself of this too!)

My doc released me from PT too, but I keep going about every 2-3 weeks for check'ins to make sure I don't do something stupid or get new ideas on what to work on.  I figured it was not gonna hurt anything to keep those PT appointments for my own sanity, more than anything.

Sorry to hear about the locking, hopefully it will all work in the long run and this surgery fixes it for her!

How is her pain level?  Hopefully that is better than pre-surgery.

stay positive during rehab!!!

Offline xclaxmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 01:58:31 PM »
That's a good idea to still check in with PT every few weeks, Thornburg. I'll have to see if Dr. Will right a script for that.
Her pain level is better than before her surgery. But she really hasn't been engaging the trochlea until now. She is using it to go up and down stairs and she is starting to do some squats on it.

Offline xclaxmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2014, 06:09:07 PM »
It's been 4 months since my daughters allograft surgery. There is not anything too exciting to share with everyone. We feel there isn't any swelling and it has not been swelling with the exercises she's doing. She is not in pain and doesn't have aching. Her rom is good but still doesn't have her normal hyperextention like her left knee back.  Her knee is still locking and clicking though.
 I think she is getting bored with home exercises so may have to invest in a gym membership.
It's been really hard for her to watch and sit out as another track season approaches. But we are still thankful she is not living in constant pain.
Hope everyone is healing well.

Offline xclaxmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 02:18:26 PM »
Hi all. Last week we went to my daughters 6 month follow up.  The graft has totally healed. The Dr. Has released her to begin to start running again. He also told her not to give up on her dream of getting a scholorship and being a collegiate athlete. I'm a little hesitant to let her compete again but her Dr. said it's okay. Her plan and what she's been doing is running 1/2 to 1 mile and doing her track warm up with her team and then she leaves and goes to the gym.  So far so good.

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 10:53:08 PM »
It's great to hear a happy ending!

Offline Hokieman89

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 04:50:12 AM »
Hi xclax,

Great to hear! I am three weeks post op from what sounds to be the exact surgery your daughter had. My defects were in the trochlea as well. I am 24 years old and it's been a few years since I've been able to run and squat, so I'm anxious to hear how her knee responds to being fully released!

Offline xclaxmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2014, 03:01:22 AM »
Hokieman,
Hi. My daughter is running 1 mile/5x a week. She is running at a slow jog, taking it really easy. So far it hasn't hurt her like before. She is now at 7 months post op.
Good luck with your recovery.

Offline xclaxmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2014, 08:00:17 PM »
It's been just over 9 months since my daughters surgery and she is still doing well. She started running cross country again this week. She said she has been run/walking 4 miles. The knee is not giving her problems it's all the typical pains you get while running again. She still has it lock on her when she has been sitting for a while but that doesn't cause any pain. Hope others a doing well too.

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2014, 11:35:49 AM »
At 9 months it seems like the cartilage is there to stay... should be stable by now, but I have heard it should continue to grow for 2 years from op, but at a very slow rate. Cells should continue the process of producing the collagen matrix.

Locks after sitting is normal (well at least I have that too), but doesn't bother me much.

Good luck for you and your daughter...

Offline xclaxmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2014, 01:58:26 PM »
Hi. Just wanted to give a quick update on how my daughters knee is holding up. She is around 15 months postop and she is still doing okay. She finished out her last year in cross country but wasn't any where near the pace she was able to run before her injury. I had to remind her that after what she went through, just even running is a gift to be thankful for. For the most part her knee pain was minimal.