Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: BILATERAL FEMORAL + TIBIALIS ROTATION OSTEOTOMIES  (Read 1981 times)

Offline ALLFORKYLE

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
BILATERAL FEMORAL + TIBIALIS ROTATION OSTEOTOMIES
« on: September 06, 2013, 12:34:50 AM »
Hi, we have just had the news that our son requires major surgery on both his legs, they want to perform a bilateral femoral + tibialis rotation, has anyone else got any experience with this surgery and can share their experience with us? our son is 8 and has intellectual impairment. what is the recovery like??

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 25
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: BILATERAL FEMORAL + TIBIALIS ROTATION OSTEOTOMIES
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 05:59:03 PM »
I've had this surgery on one of my legs. Holding out on the other one for now.

Sorry to hear your song needs the surgery, and such a young age! Although, fixing it as a child would have been awesome, rather than being grown and having suffered for years before finally knowing what was wrong and having it done.

The recovery is kind of tough, but kids seem to bounce back so much faster. There's a period of limited activity of course, and limited weight bearing, but kids are resilient, they figure out how to have their fun, and after 4-8 weeks they are much more mobile than they were allowed to be in the beginning.

Having the surgery done bilaterally can make it tougher, but the upside is there's only one recovery time, instead of two, which is what many have us here as adults end up doing. There was a father who posted here a while ago who's daughter had bilateral femoral derotation done. As an adult I can't imagine trying to do the surgery on both legs at the same time, but as a kid and parents to help all the time, it seems much more doable.

You can look up the diaries of many of here (click my name and you'll see the link to mine) that will share with you probably anything you would want to know about our experiences. Just remember, each experience is different. Every surgery, while the same, affects people differently. Recovery times vary. Kids of course just heal faster and push harder than most adults and are back to riding their bikes and running around faster than adults.

Have the doctors talked about time frame at all in terms of his bone growth? I'm admittedly less educated on this topic in kids than adults, so I'm asking for my own curiosity. I wonder how him still growing would affect surgical decisions.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 06:01:10 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

drmark

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 08:57:14 PM »
Bones heal very rapidly in this age group.  The necessary fixation is simple, and primitive by adult standards, but not much more is necessary.  All four bones are commonly done at one time, and a period of time in a body cast  and wheelchair will be necessary for the youngster with intellectual impairment.

Offline jcbauman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 03:43:05 PM »
Hello
It is nice to find someone on here that is having the same surgery as my daughter.  My daughter is scheduled for September 26th.  Her pre-op is tomorrow.  This surgery IS a big deal, so please don't be under the impression that it is not.  I do agree that it iss probably better to do it now than later, but lets face it, no body wants to see their child have surgery.  My daughter is having her surgery at Children's Hospital in Boston.  Preop is tomorow, as is a meeting with the Dr. a Nurse and a Social Worker for all the questions about caring for her at home.  I know she will be having an epidural for 2 days, I know she will be in the hospital for 7 and I know she will be in a wheelchair for 4 to 5 weeks.  She is having metal plates put in so she will not be having casts.  She cannot use the toilet during the time she is in a wheelchair so we will have to get a camode (sp?) I have so may questions for tomorow and am both looking forward to the appointment and dreading it.  As hyou probably already know, there is not a lot of information on this surgery on line because not a lot of kids need to have it.  Does your son have Cerebral Palsy?  Our surgeon said most of the kids who get this surgery do have that.  My daughter does not but she still needs it.  When if he scheduled?

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 25
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »
Most kids that have this surgery are Cerebral Palsy patients mostly because this conditions goes largely undiagnosed in kids otherwise. It doesn't get fixed until adulthood in that population, and only then if the person is lucky enough to find a doctor who even knows to look for it (aside from the obvious case when the knees point in, and even in those situations doctors may ignore it or, even worse, do some other unwarranted procedure instead of fixing the underlying deformity).

Good luck to both of you. It is a big surgery, but kids are resourceful and heal quickly. An adult dealing with this would have a longer recovery time, plus they suffered the pain and instability that it brings, usually starting around the age your kids are at now. Imagine going through that for 20 years and then having this surgery one leg at a time and the subsequent follow on surgeries for hardware removal. It's a big surgery but your kids will have straight legs and avoid years of potential problems and a faster healing while they have their parents to help care for them. It will be hard seeing your kid go through it, but that will never change whether they are having it now at age 9 or later at age 29--it's still hard for a parent to see their child in pain and they can only do so much to comfort them. It killed my mom to feel so helpless with me. She worried, wouldn't leave me in the hospital (I had to beg her to go home and rest because I would need her awake and alert when I was released). She shed many a tear trying to help me do things like get around, use the toilet, etc. I don't think it's ever easy for the parent no matter how old their "baby" is.

Hang tough and focus on the bigger picture. Good luck.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 03:55:35 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline jcbauman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 04:55:45 PM »
I agree Crankerchick.  I will tell you one thing, hearing from adults like you makes me feel better that I am doing this now because where it is not a common surgery, you start doubting yourself.  All her measurements and scans and the amount of pain she is already in daily warrant the surgery.....yet still I uestion myself all the time.  Makes me feel better knowing that doing this now is going to substantially help her later.  I know it will be hard but as I say to her, when she is an adult we'll be saying "Remember when you were 10 and you had that surgery".......eventually it will be a blip in time........still nervous though :) Have a great day.

Offline chondro...huh?

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 03:34:34 AM »
The sign of a good mom, is making tough decisisons. The sign of a GREAT mom is questioning those decisions! Keep up the great work mom!  ;D
Susan
07/12 - injury
03/13 - scoping, cleaning
09/13 - TTT

Offline cathytonk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 01:56:23 PM »
Hi, I am sitting at the rehab hospital where my daughter is recovering from bilateral femoral and tibial derogation and leg lengthening in left femur. Did your son have the surgery?