Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Acl and the older lady!  (Read 8224 times)

Offline gottarun13

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 8
Re: Acl and the older lady!
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2013, 07:47:50 PM »
Baking, baking, baking and more baking.  I was really nervous to do my standard annual baking.  It takes me about 2 days (23+ hours to complete) and I make about 2,400 cookies.  I got it done.  My knee has been a little temperamental but way less than expected.  The toe, on the otherhand....gotta knife?!???

Here's a random question - if any of you have had ortho w/manipulation - 1. did they use the same holes as the original surgery?  Do you notice them being more prone to swelling than other spots??

I ask because I have one spot, OS has said its totally normal, but when I over do it, it will swell just in that spot.  It doesn't feel painful, just uncomfortable because its like I have a small water balloon in that spot.

Hobblescotch, Virtual Me, IHMK - Hi!!! Good to see you on here still :)  It almost feels like home lol.

ACL Mum - how are you???  You have had remarkable progress - so happy to hear all the things you are doing.  :)

Offline Acl mum

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2014, 09:16:49 AM »
Five and a bit months update.
My six month hospital check up was brought forward, but not an issue. The surgeon  attacked my knee like an Olympic judo player . Relax, she said ,as she wrenched it in all directions.
I survived and she pronounced that the graft was secure, with a pronounced 'stop'.  The quads are still not fully redeveloped but it will be easier to concentrate on them with a good knee. A bit a massage with E45 cream on the leg scar too.
 Physio has become more arduous but I am capable of of doing so much more now. Two notches harder on the leg press, jogging in a figure of eight in the gym,  and much longer on the stepper,  and better at standing on bad leg on a trampette throwing and catching a ball at the wall. She devised some bench work for me to simulate stepping of a moving canal boat, and side stepping along the length of it. Then I can go back on holiday on them.
I have slipped on muddy slopes out with the dog three times, no problem apart from being licked to death by worried dog. What I still find tricky is getting up from the ground when there is nothing else to pull myself up on. Also my good side hip is complaining from overuse  sometimes. The physio has suggested exercises to improve the muscle use on that leg, doing one legged knee bend with it on the stairs.
So , I carry on with weekly physio for now, , and go back to the consultant in six months for a final check up.
Thank you NHS.
PS. There us someone else in my ACL class nearly as old as me, and he had coped for ten years as well before requesting surgery. He needs to be able to get on and off his horse safely.

Offline caraghk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2014, 05:01:53 PM »
Your rehab story is very inspiring. Congratulations its all gone so well!

I'm currently on week 6 postop of a tibial spine fracture (My ACL snapped off my tibia, so I had to have the bit of bone with my ACL on it reattached!)

Have had no weight bearing all that time and it's horrendous how much the quads atrophy. Good yours are coming back slowly but surely. :)

Offline Acl mum

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2014, 02:36:58 PM »
 10 months  3 weeks.
  Today I was completely discharged from the Hospital!
To encourage the people who read this site and get scared by the posts from folks with complications, please remember that the vast majority of ACLs  are as straightforward as mine. Do as you're told by the physios,  and don't overdo the exercises. Once your graft is secure there is plenty of time to get the muscles back.
I won't be skiing or playing football, but cycling, hiking, mowing, boating and swimming are back on the agenda.
I now confess to being an active 64 yr old female, mum but not granny,  so I wave the flag for equality for oldies, after all, we all become one!
I've been more than grateful for the advice on this site, and encouragement from the others who went through the same op at the same time. I hope you are all fit and fine.
Thanks everyone !

support