Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Acl and the older lady!  (Read 8230 times)

Offline Acl mum

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
Re: Acl and the older lady!
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2013, 07:05:18 AM »
I've just been reading posts on other knee problems from people in the US. I'm appalled! When the insurance runs out, or they dispute treatment, the consequences are terrible!  Here in the UK we take the NHS for granted,  I've had three babies and two problems with that, dislocated shoulder op, varicose vein op,  hysterectomy,  bladder sling, , previous knee physio, and now the acl. No health insurance needed.
Obama, I wish you well with your health reforms,  I'm sure the majority of the population need it. The insurance companies rule a greedy system, and the private hospitals charge people for blowing their noses.
Rant over!

Offline Hobblescotch

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2013, 09:19:40 PM »
I giggled a bit about the hippopotamus. That could lead to some potentially awkward exchanges with his mother!

How's the knee?

Offline Acl mum

• Regular Poster
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2013, 08:51:42 AM »
Eight weeks on, no problems to report
It's the little improvements that I enjoy,  I can change gear on the car without aching the next day,  walking further,  getting up from a chair without going 'ooff' every time, and at last can sit on the floor and then get up again!  It's makes you feel normal again.
Technically,  my ROM is fine,  swelling almost completely gone,  and the morning stiffness and clunking goes in five minutes.  My hamstrings  are still like spaghetti, and occasionally get a twinge in my calf  when doing exercises. The PT has upped the work  levels,  starting me on balancing  on a foam pad on one leg, then one legged squats, which were nasty.  Then step work, using bad leg going down first.  The leg press is a joke, I can only do three weight on it. Having nursed a dodgy knee for years,  I didn't have much strength in it to start with.  So I hope I come out of this experience in better shape than last year.
I also walked a couple of miles during the day, and now, next day don't feel any after effects,. So it must be time now to do it all again, and three times over.

Offline IHMK

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 26
    • I Hurt My Knee
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2013, 03:00:26 PM »
I am so glad to hear things are going so well - and I hope you continue to have the most boring rehab story ever ;) Your comment about the ooff-less gettings-up made me laugh. 

Your weak muscles will beef up and then I bet you'll find the silver lining in all of this - new-found strength and vigor that you might never have had without having to face adversity first.
My knee story: http://www.ihurtmyknee.org

28 March 2013: tore right ACL (also meniscus tear, MCL tear ["Unhappy Triad"!!], tibial plateau fracture & condylar bruise)
28 June 2013: surgery to reconstruct ACL (allograft)

Offline Hobblescotch

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2013, 01:19:16 PM »
Boring rehabs are such a blessing. Sounds like you are in an excellent place for 8 weeks postop!

Soon your spaghetti hamstrings will be penne... then cannelloni... and you'll have more strength than when you started :) Congrats on all of your recent milestones!

Offline Acl mum

• Regular Poster
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2013, 09:09:09 PM »
10 WEEKS!
I had an outpatients appointment today, which is with the Senior Physio, not the surgeon. To my relief, the words perfect, excellent for 10 weeks, were used!  Considering I have a conservative approach to rehab, I was delighted. My quads need a lot of work , but she is confident that she will get me fit. I am starting Acl class in a couple of weeks! when we are given our own programme in the gym,sharing the equipment with a few other people. In my one to one sessions, I have been put on the cross trainer as well as increasing the load on the  leg press.  He arranged some little cones round me and I had to turn and step to the right colour cone on his call. This  replicates what I do at home in the kitchen in real life, and where my old dodgy knee would crash out.  When I have my programme, I will join the local gym.
I am trusting the graft more ,now I know it is fixing, and steadily trying enjoy the progress.  I find standing exercises are boring, and have remembered the more graceful ballet practice exercises I once learnt.   Pliés sounds better than squats, and go better with music!
I am turning up the level on the bike, and venturing on my longer dog walk routes. Hills are still out of the question. So life has resumed normality, and the bungee in my knee is letting me bend to clean the grime that has gathered in the corners of the kitchen floor.  The garden has missed me too, and is a mess, but I refuse to drag  a wheel barrow up steps.

Offline soccerblondie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2013, 05:00:12 AM »
Hey

Congrats on all your progress so far!  (I didn't realize we are at exactly the same point post op.  I am also at 10 weeks post ACL surgery)  I feel like I should be farther along then I am with my quad muscle...it's still tiny compared to my other leg!  :P

I also find the standing exercises boring haha.  I'm trying to be a diligent patient though

Offline Acl mum

• Regular Poster
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2013, 08:44:08 AM »
16 weeks and doing fine. Physio appointments keep getting cancelled by the poor things being ill, but it has been noticed and I got a one to one session instead of acl class. So I am a bit behind on strength but the joint is fine.  I force myself to go to a private gym to do a bit more.
Yesterday the dog walk was a personal challenge, because I have avoided hills. I walked up  and down Stanage Edge,  a bleak Peak District escarpment, very rough and muddy , and steep. I had a stick for balance  but I managed so much better than a year ago, reminding my OH that I hadn't done anything like that without a hinged knee brace for two years.  He was less impressed when I realised I had dropped a dog lead near the top and he had to go back for it. But t at least he could do that at his own fast pace rather than my cautious speed.
My knee feels like it has a wide, strong stretchy belt inside it, that has some resistance  to it. I'm happy with that because it reminds me not to be an idiot.  The lateral ligaments and quads are still a work in progress. Stairs are noticeably awkward still, and crouching . I haven't started any jogging in the gym due to cancellations.
My weight annoys me, I lost 7lbs at the beginning, maybe muscle wasting, but I have put it all back on plus a bit more. I am pretending it is all muscle.
Well I hope this encourages people who are worried by reading the posts  by people with problems.  Remember that the the silent majority who are fine, don't need the forum support. I felt I had to write because I had never met any one over thirty who had had a cruciate repair, and neither have my physios!

Offline gottarun13

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2013, 11:37:25 PM »
I haven't been on for a while - trying get caught up with work etc.

ACL mum - GOOD for you!!!  I also was told, originally, that I wasn't a candidate for surgery due to age.  My OS, after hearing my activity schedule quickly changed his mind....it took more coercing of that for my insurance.  I actually had my procedure within about 3 1/2 weeks from injury.  I had some complications and had to go in for a 2nd surgery to deal with some marble scarring under my knee cap and in a couple of other spots (and a manipulation at the same time).  Since then, things have improved quite a bit.   I think I am now about 22 weeks post-op.  Upstairs isn't really bad at all, downstairs can sometimes be an issue.  I too have a little bit of weight to lose now :(

IHMK - Great to see you still on here and active :)
Virtual - same goes.   How is your ROM these days??  If I remember correctly you were having a couple of issues with it (I may be confusing you with someone else - if so - sorry)

On the downstairs note....anybody have recommendations for getting that quad strength even better than it is????  I do tend to get frustrated with that one bit but don't want to complain since it really is much better than before.

My LAST OS appointment is in March....but they want x-rays this month for a follow-up.   :)

Offline IHMK

• Forum Faithful
    • I Hurt My Knee
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2013, 08:49:02 PM »
gottarun13 - wow, it has been a while since I've seen you here! Yes, I am still here - for my sins :) By the way in recent housekeeping some of us voluble ACL folk got moved up to the >100 posts forum (thank you KneeGuru!), so that's where you'll find me and virtual_me and Hobblescotch.

It makes me very cross when medical personnel talk about the relationship between age and the decision to have ACL surgery. There is no support in the literature for a direct connection between age and success of ACLr. The best outcomes occur when the knee is in the best shape possible before the surgery, according to a recent paper in Am. J. Sports Med. that exhaustively reviews studies of ACL surgery patients between the ages of 40 and 70. There may be a relationship between condition of the knee and age, since the longer you've been around, the more likely you are to have done stuff to your knee especially if you're active and sporty, but it's not due to age per se. Sure, there is evidence for a slowing of healing time with age, but complete healing still takes place under normal circumstances. When people suggest that older people should not have this surgery, I would ask them for data, and if they haven't published their data, then their opinion is probably based on undocumented impressions and personal bias. In my view if it isn't published it didn't happen.

Yeah, I don't have strong opinions on this topic  :D

gottarun13, it amazes me how long the quads can take to come back. I've been doing all kinds of leg exercises at the gym, but I notice that if I sit in a chair and stick my leg out straight and then slowly lower my foot, my quads start shaking. So I've a ways to go myself. On the basis of that, I wondered if it would be beneficial to tie a stretchy band into a loop and put it under my good foot, put the foot of the operated leg through the loop and raise that foot.  I tried it and it is rather a good one for the quads. You could see if it does anything for you.

28 March 2013: tore right ACL (also meniscus tear, MCL tear ["Unhappy Triad"!!], tibial plateau fracture & condylar bruise)

Offline gottarun13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2013, 09:11:28 PM »
IHMK - I share the same irritation with medical personnel.  In fact, not just with this surgery but with care in general.  I feel like you must either advocate for your self or have an advocate to get proper health care these days.  I have encouraged my dad to go to another doctor and push to get his knee handled.  He's not that guy and he wont' even let me help him.  Choices....

The band idea sounds likes a great idea!!  I have used bands but not in that manner.  I'm going to add that to the regimen.  I'm no longer going to PT and relying on myself...speaking of having to fight...the admin personnel at my PT place started calling me to deal with the couple of billing issues they were having for two of my visits.  I finally gave them a choice, I could do their job and get that settled and not come back OR they could do their own paperwork.  I haven't been back.

I will be back on regularly.  I feel like I'm at a bit of a stall on my progress and this seems to be the one place I can rely on for some great advice....and a swift kick :)

Offline IHMK

• Forum Faithful
    • I Hurt My Knee
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2013, 02:56:36 PM »
Be sure to do the band exercise such that you're going from a bent leg to a straight one. I did 3 sets of 10 on each leg, holding for a slow count of 10 last night before leaving work. I also looped the band around my ankles and tried to lift each leg straight out to the side, which kills the gluteus muscles (in a good way).  And I noticed that when I got home, walking up my very uneven driveway was TONS easier than usual! I was moving more easily and felt less unstable. When I told my PT about this, this morning, he gave the band exercise a huge stamp of approval and made me a new band, smaller than the one I have, and added another exercise: put the band around the ankles and take small steps to the side, making sure the toes are not turned out - the heel should actually be slightly out. So, a small step, then bring the opposite foot next to the other one. Say, 10 steps. Do it in each direction. It works the gluteus muscles also.

Here's to happily tired muscles!

Offline Acl mum

• Regular Poster
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2013, 06:51:45 PM »
TODAY I RAN!

Okay, jogging up and down the gym three times there and back.  But no handles to hold, or Physio  next to me, and it felt absolutely stable.
It's 13 and a half weeks,  and I am ecstatic!

Offline gottarun13

• Regular Poster
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2013, 03:54:49 PM »
ACL Mum - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What were you running on? Outside? Treadmill?  Either way, that has to be an absolutely fabulous feeling.  Great job on your progress!!

I'm just starting to run again (I'm at 6 months - took 2 surgeries to get this knee cooperating).  However, I can hardly wait until I can do it a bit easier and without feeling awkward.  I'm just having a battle of wills with my knee.  The knee is more than capable...just re-establishing trust and a normal gait.

I just started doing my home PT again like I'm supposed to.  I know, I know, I wasn't supposed to stop.  I did, that's that.  But I"m back :)

Alrighty, work is calling my name despite trying to ignore it.  Have a great week!!!

Offline Hobblescotch

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2013, 04:09:29 AM »
CONGRATS!!! That's such a huge milestone, well done! Also, isn't it exciting to start doing things you haven't done since the injury? Challenging hikes without a brace - check! Keep it up, you're doing great :)

Good to see you back around, gottarun13!

support