Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Acl and the older lady!  (Read 8229 times)

Offline ozzie

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
  • ACI & Fulkerson 6/25/13, ACI & Fulkerson 12/26/13
Re: Acl and the older lady!
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 04:31:33 AM »
Hi-I'm from the states-Atlanta, GA -and appalled to hear that knee surgery in the NH is limited for people by age. I don't want to say old folks, because 61 is not even close to being old.  . I would think knee surgery would be considered preventive medicine.  If  a knee problem like injured ACL goes untreated, it makes a healthy lifestyle less possible and more chance for falling, so inevitably more health problems in the long run? I'm certain that there must be less assertive 60 year olds who just gave up!  Good for you for successfully getting what you needed.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:35:06 AM by ozzie »
ACI patella and trochlea & Fulkerson on Dec. 26, 2013-Dr. Scott Gillogly
ACI patella surgery and Fulkerson with Dr. Gillogly June 25, 2013
Extensive cartilage damage in both knees due to misalignment of patellas

Offline Acl mum

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2013, 10:27:39 PM »
DAY 20
Ozzie, I agree with you wholeheartedly. If the NHS seems u available, people with private health insurance can get work done privately. Without insurance I believe an ACL costs about 4000.  The hospital saw me very quickly, so I have no complaints with them. Yes I am assertive in a nice way!

I slept really well last night,  comfy on my side with a pillow tucked between my legs.  Sleeping on my back isn't natural. My knee felt good too, feeling part of my whole leg at last.  I didn't have to concentrate so hard when walking (bend it, swing full extension, heel down first).  We had a lovely sunny dog walk beside a lake, but I was aware that my foot was not necessarily where I thought it was . PRioperception is the name. So  I had tone careful of tree roots  etc. The cocker spaniel  rolled in something disgusting so I had to hose him down and let him rub himself dry. Life seemed back to normal!
Tomorrow is the follow up  with the surgeon,  so I hope things are ok.
Hobblescotch, thanks for the protein reminder. I am eating fairly low- carb, and filling up with extra meat and eggs and cheese .  Lets hope one day we have thighs like Jessica Ennis!

Offline Acl mum

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 08:49:42 AM »
I just want to add that for people not familiar with the UK health system,  you always have to be referred to a consultant by the GP . This is a requirement for both Private and NHS referrals. GPs  the gatekeepers, and  can be such a pain.  Obviously they won't refuse a private referral unless someone is a complete time waster,  as they have professional standards of their own. You may well see the same surgeon in either scenario.  I asked to see a specific, expert, knee surgeon in the NHS system, which caused a flurry. The system normally just encourages you to choose a Centre. I had no desire to go to  the luxury place that was staffed by here today, gone tomorrow,  obscurely trained surgeons. I saw the chap I asked for and  have no complaints so far!

Offline Acl mum

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 05:10:28 PM »
DAY 21
 3 week check up with Surgeon : everything doing well, apart from wasted left thigh, which is beginning to strengthen. Full extension regained and a respectable ROM. Surgeon didnt do numbers. I can start very gentle  5 minute sessions on the exercise bike  twice a day. The PT will give me more work later this week.  Walking on smooth surfaces encouraged, just don't trip up! I was warned that I may feel twangs in the hamstrings, and to be careful of the delicate 4-6 week period.
See them again in six weeks, and periodically throughout the next  11 months. Otherwise just physio.
Very relieved I haven't overdone it!

Offline PhillyCanuck

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 02:11:02 PM »
This sounds great!  Be careful, and enjoy your new Acl! 

Offline Hobblescotch

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 09:34:22 PM »
Excellent news on the ROM and exercise progression! The muscle wasting is just how it goes, although I didn't realize how bad it would be until a few days postop - I told my PT how dismayed I was that the beautiful muscles I'd worked so hard on at prehab had vanished, and he just said, "Yup. They do." Cheers to thighs like Jessica Ennis'!

Also great advice on the 4-6 period for the hamstrings. Both virtual_me and I had problems during that timeframe, and I wish I'd had that warning.

Nothing says 'back to normal' like hosing off a dog that's rolled in something! ;D Getting out for doggie walks is a great part of rehab, and I'm glad that your knee is starting to feel like yours again!

Offline Acl mum

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 10:17:01 PM »
DAY 23
Visit to the hospital PT at last.  The patella is nice and wobbly and tracking properly, though I need to get a tiny bit more extension to get everything sliding smoothly all the time. He pressed on my raised leg to help it. Flexion is  great, and no more pushing limits on it for now. I forgot to ask for the measurement ,but it looks like 135.
I am walking properly, so we then marched to the gym for  5 minutes of cycling at whatever resistance I can do comfortably. Then it was the leg press for my pathetic quads. They must be improving because I can lift it better.
At home I can use my own static bike and add on getting up from a chair with no hands. It's breaking a long habit of bad leg being lazy. Then I went up and down his little staircase with alternating legs. I can't do this at home because our wooden stairs are to slippery, and we have three large tiled steps down to the bathroom with no handrail. I have positioned chairs for grab rails, and still use a crutch for the "good to go up, bad to go down" leg order .
 I am glad I tried  proper stairs because we will be staying at the in-laws next week,with long stairs. I shall hide away doing my exercises.
Driving is officially not approved till after six weeks .  It is my left knee,so thats the clutch pedal, easier than throttle/brake leg. My daughter who lives in Greece is coming over soon and is delighted to be put on the insurance, provided she chauffeurs me.
Well I don't feel like I am  being pushed too hard yet. PT told me the holes drilled in my bones were 7mm diameter. I'm so glad I was too floaty during the operation to know!
Jessica E is our local heroine, so maybe I should poach her PT!

Offline IHMK

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 26
    • I Hurt My Knee
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 10:57:37 PM »
I'm in awe.  135 degrees?  SWOON!!

You are doing fabulously well.  The differences in protocols continue to amaze me though - I would have thought you would be fine to drive, with all that ROM, but I guess it is the strength that they want you to get back before you go tearing up the countryside?

Still, if your daughter is keen to be chauffeur that's a good thing.  Being helpful is as much a blessing as being helped, if not more. 

Onward!
My knee story: http://www.ihurtmyknee.org

28 March 2013: tore right ACL (also meniscus tear, MCL tear ["Unhappy Triad"!!], tibial plateau fracture & condylar bruise)
28 June 2013: surgery to reconstruct ACL (allograft)

Offline Pamela49

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 05:50:35 PM »
Acl Mum, thank you for the reply you left in another thread I started. Your story is very encouraging - to me and to many people.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 07:30:29 AM by Pamela49 »
- Right knee ALC rupture 2/2013 (skiing)
- ALC reconstruction 7/2013

Offline Pamela49

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 05:55:19 PM »
I was 49 when I had the surgery. I am two months post surgery now with ROM fully restored since Week 7 and life mostly back to normal.  I have no doubt that I made a right decision for me and my age has never been an issue.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 07:36:35 AM by Pamela49 »
- Right knee ALC rupture 2/2013 (skiing)
- ALC reconstruction 7/2013

Offline Acl mum

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2013, 11:03:22 PM »
Today I am annoyed!
It's five weeks now,  and I should have been having PT  tomorrow. This would be my third visit. Phone call today told me he was ill and to rebook for seven days time. This is the second delayed appointment , so I asked if his patients were shared out to other staff, since it will be six weeks and only two visits by then.   I know I can just carry on with the boring baby exercises and increase my cycling and knee bends,but that's not the point.  I pointed out that a week of knee rehab was a long time, and the receptionist said no but she would tell the lead person.  I have decided for myself to drive, though my hamstrings ached a bit this morning. It's just for pressing the clutch occasionally in pretty empty roads.  I would rather have the check on my progress and a proper approval!
I have a read a link somewhere that compared outcomes of no PT versus lots of it, which showed very little ultimate difference, so I hope my lack of encouragement means I am less likely to overwork the graft, though meaning my muscles rebuild slower.
I was visiting family last week and did less exercising, but far more stair work.  Today I used a lightweight electric lawn mower for a while, a gentle walk with the dogs off- lead  and drove  4 miles to my first session of Greek language evening class.   My brain hurts. And it was up two flights of stairs.Grrr

Offline IHMK

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 26
    • I Hurt My Knee
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2013, 11:17:10 PM »
Acl mum, how frustrating not to be able to get your PT coaching when you're raring to go!

On the reassuring side: your range of motion is already pretty spectacular, and that's the most critical bit in the early weeks.  You can always build up the muscles. If you're cycling on a stationary bike as well, that's fabulous for your muscles. My PT told me last week that he had one patient who rehabbed her ACLr almost entirely with cycling (she was a cycling fiend).

So grumble away - you're entirely justified, but I don't think you really need to worry.
My knee story: http://www.ihurtmyknee.org

28 March 2013: tore right ACL (also meniscus tear, MCL tear ["Unhappy Triad"!!], tibial plateau fracture & condylar bruise)
28 June 2013: surgery to reconstruct ACL (allograft)

Offline virtual_me

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2013, 09:59:43 AM »
That is annoying about the PT.  Bloomin' NHS! :(  Did you manage to get another appointment?  How are you doing now?

Offline Hobblescotch

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2013, 03:05:15 PM »
Two rescheduled PT sessions is irritating, so it'd better be an extra good one when it comes (came?). You've been making such great progress though - great ROM, back to driving, walks with dogs...! How were the stairs at the in-law's? Also, is the Greek class for a trip you have planned?

Hope things are going well!

Offline Acl mum

• Regular Poster
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2013, 06:42:38 AM »
Hi all,
I saw the PT this week at 6 weeks.  My first one has rotated on training and I have new one who looks like he's just out of kindergarten and very scared. He knows the theory, but I am glad I have learnt so much on Kneeguru with you fellow sufferers to be sure of what I should be doing.
My leg straightens out fully, and it can bend it unassisted to 140 and I can tell it would go further if I helped it, but there is no need to stretch it whilst the graft is still delicate.  Graft paranoia is flavour of the month. He assured me that the reconstructed hamstring is the thickness of his little finger. However this reminds me that I have got this gap in the middle of my back leg where they were stolen from.  My remaining hamstrings are like spaghetti.  Although I can walk fine, my leg doesn't necessarily land precisely where intended. This is noticeable in leg lifting exercise when it waves about a bit.  The quads are showing signs of life again, proved by progressing from zero to three weights on the single leg press apparatus. Pathetic but, improving.

The stairs at the in-laws weren't great, because they have spiral turns and the tread is narrows to nothing. However if my blind father-in -law can do them, so must I.

The Greek evening class is up two flights of stairs, though there is a lift but I won't go in one alone. I visit Greece every year because my daughter lives there permanently, in Zakynthos, with  a Greek firefighter. His English is good but I want to progress beyond sign language when visiting his mum. I'm not sure that knowing the Greek for hippopotamus will help. It's really interesting to learn, like unlocking a code and gives me something to think about on the exercise bike.
As I left the class, guess what, I spotted a girl on crutches with a telescoping knee brace on. I must have a quick word in tea break time soon!