Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Please! Desperate for opinions  (Read 952 times)

Offline kimtabulous

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Please! Desperate for opinions
« on: January 26, 2004, 04:04:03 AM »
I have been having problems with my knee since September and I am getting desperate.  I was involved in a car accident 3 years ago and my knee has been unstable since then because of an ACL injury but I have been able to walk and had no pain.  Well in September, I started experiencing swelling and pain after sitting on the couch with my knee bent.  I went to bed shortly after to relieve the swelling.  When i put weight on  my leg the next morning i experienced a sharp pain in my knee and my knee "gave".  I could not walk on it for about 3 days and then could only walk with my knee bent thereafter.  Doc didnt know what it was assumed it was a ligament tear.  I would continuously suffer with a burning pain on outside of my knee when my leg was quickly extended.  2 months later i had that burning pain while walking and my entire leg began to swell.  I soon discovered that I couldnt put weight on my leg.  I even had chills and fever  and extreme pain that night.  My doc did arthoscopy to see what it was and found some "trash" in my knee and cleaned it out.  I started feeling a little better after surgery but still couldnt walk.  Then a week later I had the burning sensation again when I attempted to straighten my leg and the swelling came back along with the fever and chills.  I was in severe pain for 3 days and began to see some relief with physical therapy.  Then again the swelling and burning is back.  I am now thinking it is nerve related as I have been able to relieve some pain with massaging the bottom of my foot.  I just know that I cannot straighten my leg because of this burning pain.  I'm scared that I won't be able to walk again because of this.  DOes anyone have any ideas about what this could be or what kind of doctor that could tell me?

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 112
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Please! Desperate for opinions
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 12:55:35 PM »
Hi
Your symtoms are suggestive of a lateral meniscal tear +/- a meniscal cyst. I understand you have had surgery, but these things can sometimes be missed.
Have you had an MRI?
The fever and chills? Not sure.
--
KNEEguru

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Runs with scissors
Re: Please! Desperate for opinions
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 06:35:51 PM »
Dear Kimtabulous:
Per KNEEguru, certainly a lateral meniscal tear could be the culprit...but the burning pain may also suggest fibromyalgia (which is neurological/cystic) and may respond to medication and/or therapy.  I would not relent in your search for an answer to this pain, and would insist on further testing by your OS.  It's not O.K. to continue to suffer and to be afraid to use your leg properly - not to mention having a recurring undiagnosed fever.  Any febrile condition is indicative of a potentially serious problem and should be pursued.
Best of luck, and keep us posted!
Holly
1998 run over by car;Rt knee lat menisc/med menisc tear, ACL/MCL tear, patella frx, tib frx, femur frx, 4 scopes repr menisc/repr lig/debride pat, open MCL rpr, dbl osteot3/04;MUA,lysis6/04;scope10/04

support