Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How Many Animals Do You Have and What Kind?  (Read 29663 times)

Offline kopbird

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • One day at time is the best way....
Re: How Many Animals Do You Have and What Kind?
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2004, 02:57:16 PM »
Hi Emma

You are so right they are very hard work - they just shed their fur 24/7. But hey I would not be without them!!! they are the BEST!!!!

I do struggle at times to walk them but thankfully Hubby is great and does it when I can't. And when he can't they seem to understand...

Heidi
LR Nov 03 - Right Knee
Right Knee -May 04, Infection, numerous cleanouts Jun, Jul & Aug 04
LR Jan 05 - Left Knee 02/05 Blood Clot Removal & MUA. 03/05 Aspiration. 04/05  VMO advancement, Open LR, Plica removal. 09/05 Fulkerson

Offline kdhfrank

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2004, 01:40:18 AM »
Hi

I have a 140 lb. black newfoundland named Juneau. He is a gentle giant but likes to lean up against my knee "ouch", slime me with his jowl and sling his spit on the wall. I also have 3 cats...Max, Sabrina, and "Found a Peanut"...got her name after being discovered in a dumpster. Peanut loves to drink Juneau"s drool!...and yes, we somehow manage to keep the house clean.

Kim
L pat. dislocation, 1977;  run over by a car, L pat. dislocat., multiple burns & fxs, 1981; L knee scope, 8/03; L knee MUA, 10/03; L knee MUA & patellar tendon rupt; 6/22/04 lysis, debride, pat. baja!

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2004, 07:53:14 AM »
I also am an animal person. We have two dogs. They are both fantastic dogs except for the fact that the three year old dog has run into my knee twice already, My son has 2 chinchillas and an aquarium full of fish, My daughter has a guinnea pig
6/2004 partial lateral meniscus removal and microfracture left knee
7/13/05  open lateral release, medial plication, spur removal right knee
12/06  re do proximal realignment right knee (scar tissue formed ) 5 days post op - fell and fractured elbow
08/2009 - feeling good so far work 50 hrs a week

Offline princesstina

• Regular Poster
  • My OS says I can trip on a single blade of grass!
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2004, 11:18:08 PM »
We are big time animal people!!! We have 2 cats,Gypsy and Cassie and a dog,Mazey. Mazey was "dropped" at my grandparents house the day before Easter 3 years ago. So after some puppydog eyes from me and the children hubby caved! ;D
At first she was afraid of Gregg and the boys but now she has adopted our second son as "her boy". She is a german shepherd/Boxer mix and very strong! She also thinks she is a lap dog but often tries to climb up on top of my bad leg. Ouch! also when we first got her she came in the house she went straight to the litter box!
We have had Gypsy the longest. She was a stray who started following me and my daughter down the street. I told Ceebee not to get attached because Daddy would not let her keep the kitty. we had another cat at the time.We got to my husband and the cat climbed up on his shoulder and went to sleep. that was the end of that!
Cassie is defintely"my kitty". She sleeps with me every night. She knows when I am not feeling well and is all over me. When I stay up later than normal she gets in my face and meows like crazy! If she thinks I have slept to long in the morning she bites my feet! I know she does it cause she loves me but she scares me to death when she is following me around the house because she gets in the way of my crutches!
messed up knees since high school. 1998 R knee arthoscopyx2 once for repair,once for removal
6/15/04 L knee arthoscopic LR

Offline LBoxer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2004, 10:37:16 PM »
I am also an animal fanatic! Currently I have three dogs and three cats. My pet-collecting habit has forced me to take on a second job working in an Animal Hospital to help pay for their expenses.

My dogs are Rikki, Haley and Jake.

Rikki is an 11 year old Rottie mix with liver cancer. She collapsed last April and they found a tumor the size of a football in her abdomen. The doctors did what they would to prepare me to lose her. They said she had about 4 weeks. 14 months later you would never know she was sick if you saw her.

Haley is a 5 year old Boxer. She had to have her ears and tail amputated two years ago because of numerous (17!!) cancerous growths  on her body. She is a bit of a wild-woman but is very affectionate. She looks a bit like a seal without her ears!

Jake is an ancient Boxer that I got from Rescue 4 years ago. Up until about two weeks ago he was the healthiest of the bunch. He's going blind and beginning to fail but he is SUCH a love!

My cats are: Yoda, Spooky and Krazy

Yoda was rescued from a home where he lived with 17 cats and 13 dogs...I think he thinks he is a dog! He prefers their company to the other cats!

Spooky was a barn cat that was not being fed by her mother. I took her and her two brothers in and got them on their feet. Found homes for the boys, but Spooky w/ her long black hair and bright amber eyes wasn't going anywhere!

Krazy (originally named Autumn) was brought to the animal hospital where I work at about 2 days old. She and her brother were nearly frozen by the side of the road. Her brother didn't survive, but a technician bottle fed and nurtured her until she was ready to be adopted. But she proved to be a little too much for the average household. She was returned to the hospital and deemed 'unadoptable.' I had just lost my himalayan female so I agreed to take her home. She adopted well to the environment and having her declawed stopped her from hanging from the top of the draperies so I decided to keep her.

And alas, this means I will always need to maintain two jobs...one that pays my bills and one that pays theirs!
:)

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2004, 05:47:01 PM »
Hey !!!

We have a new pet since friday a rabbit.
She's so cute and only 8 weeks and her name is Elektra.

Nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline blusky_1

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
    • My Webshots Albums
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2004, 08:21:34 PM »
I could have sworn I had posted to this thread...maybe there was a similar one before...

Anyhoo..I had to reduce my zoo to move in May. I currently have Kyah (2 yr old Pit Bull and the love of my life), Nibblett (3 year old cat who thinks she's a dog), Goose (tiel) and Butters (parakeet).

The critters I had to give away were Decker (mini lop rabbit), Gromit (Dwarf Rex rabbit), Moose and Lil Bit (hooded rats)....and a bunch of assorted fish. For about 10 years, I was a "ferret addict". I had about 12 of them over a period of 7-8 years or so. I finally gave up on them, after losing 3 of them in something like 4 months to cancer. I have my first one, Cody, tattooed on my left ankle.  ;D
Arthroscopy 8/8/03 - partial meniscectomy (x2), chondroplasty, lateral release (failed). 1/04 - dx with "miserable alignment". 11/04 - dx patella baja.

Pumpkin1

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2004, 09:56:17 PM »
HI

I have a little collection of my "babies".  Last time I looked I shared my house with:
4 cats - Git, Fatty, Molly and Pumpkin
2 Snakes - Popsicle and Icicle
2 Tortoises - Torty and Herman
a selection of fish - Collectively known as "The Menu"

I would not be with out my little ones as they keep me occupied.

Sarah

Offline ntrgrl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2004, 04:38:34 AM »
I am a wildlife biologist. To say I love my critters is an unstatement.  :)

I have 2 large dogs. Roadway is a akita/lab mix. Body is akita, personality is all lab!; he is about 10 yrs. old and still my baby.  Chaos is a german shepard mix. Goofy and silly, he makes me laugh everyday; he is about 4/5 yrs old. I have a cat too, blk. short-hair named K.C. (short for kitty-cat). He is more my husband's cat than mine; he tolerates me.

I do miss conducting raptor nest and burrowing owl surveys. Seeing those little owls foraging and flying about at dawn is very rewarding.  :D

« Last Edit: August 08, 2004, 04:39:25 AM by ntrgrl »
7/1: LR & Patella re-alignment/clean-up; (L)knee... 7/8: hematoma formed & infection, lots of pain & septic...back into OR for irrigation & antibotics. Knee imoblized for 4wks. PT now 2X a wk.

Offline soccermom

• Forum Faithful
  • Light @ the end of tunnel isn't an oncoming train!
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2004, 08:45:33 AM »
Ntrgrl,

What an awesome job! I love wild birds. Last month when we were camping at Lake Almanor an Osprey had a nest at the very top of a tree near our campsite. We got to watch her bring in fish for her babies. It was so cool.  I really want to see a bald eagle up close.

Christina ;)
Meniscus tear/Torn MCL/Partially Torn ACL
Meniscus Repair 8/21/03 Debride Surgery 10/18/03, 1/6/04  fat pad remvd & lateral release. Had Arthrofibrosis. ROM @ 140/ 0
deg.Take yr  to rebuild quad.

Offline ntrgrl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2004, 10:34:25 PM »
Christina:

Osprey's are winter residents here in my neck of the woods (California). I was lucky enough to observe and photograph one on a survey in San Jacinto. They are awesome birds and it's great to see them with a large fish.   :D

I have been working as a consultant for about a year and half. Well, with this knee injury   :-/  I won't be able to get back to the field for awhile. Hopefully, by September I will at least get back to work and desk duty.

Keep an eye on the skies

7/1: LR & Patella re-alignment/clean-up; (L)knee... 7/8: hematoma formed & infection, lots of pain & septic...back into OR for irrigation & antibotics. Knee imoblized for 4wks. PT now 2X a wk.

Offline soccermom

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2004, 12:28:29 AM »
 Hi again Ntrgrl,

I live in Northern California too! What kind of knee injury do you have? Hopefully it wont be as long as you are thinking before you can go back and do the thing you love.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Christina ;) ;)
Meniscus Repair 8/21/03 Debride Surgery 10/18/03, 1/6/04  fat pad remvd & lateral release. Had Arthrofibrosis. ROM @ 140/ 0

Offline ntrgrl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2004, 03:05:46 AM »
Christina:

I feel in a ravine while on the job and did a belly flop into a streambed w/about 10 inches of water. When I did I busted my left knee open on a rock and crushed my right upper thigh muscle.   :o Emergency room doctor sewed me up and sent me home.

Well, 3mo later I changed Worker Comp docs and started p/t.

I did p/t 2-3 x week fr. Dec. '03 to July 1st this yr. July 1st my doc went in and did a LR on my left knee and cleaned up the back of my patella. (Darn thing just wouldn't stay in place). This is where things get fuzzy as I don't remember the 1st three weeks of July.  Fr. what I've been told I got septic, had an infection and hematoma developed & I went back into the OR a wk later. Doc cleaned me up and put everything where it's suppose to be and put me on antibotics. The month of July was spent sitting around waiting for the drainage to stop.  :-/ It finally did and last week (8/3) I began p/t.

Luckily I have a sweet Physical Therapist (Chi). Heel slides suck, I can do leg lifts, but when Chi does the manual manipulation I feel like screaming and passing out!  :'(.

I've been lucky to have Worker Comp pay for an home health aide sit with me first 6hrs/dy, then last wk. 4hrs/dy. This weekend I have been putting more weight on the leg and have been able last few nights to stay up long enough  to go out to dinner and a friends b-dy.

Guess I rattled a bit... nice to get it all out.  :) ;D

Ntrgrl

Offline soccermom

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2004, 06:19:45 AM »
Ntrgirl,

Wow, you have had a rough go of it! I don't envy being in your position because I know how tough it is. PT is tough :P :P :P :P :P Try to keep up on your pt at home and take your meds for as long as you need them. I even used to take a half of my pain med and anti inflammatory before I went to the PT.

Hang in there. Things will get better :o :o :o :o I pray you will feel better soon.

Christina ;) ;)

Offline ntrgrl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2004, 02:49:29 AM »
Hi Christina:

Saw the doctor today. He says that if I'm not past 90 degrees on my ROM he's going to have to take me back into the OR for a manipulation.  He is full of [email protected]&&!  According to my claim adjuster, if he's determined to do it after the next 10 dys. and I am against it I can get a 2nd opinion. (Which I plan on doing before I go through any more excuitating pain!   :'( :'( :'( :'()

I am taking it one day at a time. P/T next 3dys... I plan on working as hard as I can. My focus for the week is showing improvement on my ROM and walking with a single crutch.  

On an up side... I was able to shower last night with the aide of a shower chair and my husband checking on me every 10 minutes.   ;D ::) :)

Hugs to all,  

Ntrgrl[/font]