Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Osteochondral allograft  (Read 18920 times)

Offline thornburg

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
Re: Osteochondral allograft
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2014, 06:12:38 PM »
wow .. how time flies, thought I would take a few minutes and give an updated status!!!

22 weeks post op (5.5 months)

So .. saw doc at 4 month for checkup.. all looks and is where it should be in recovery/rehab.  I am in a very cautious time right now, knee feels good but not fully healed and little strength to the things I want.  I am no where near where I want to be .. patience was told to me again!!!

Pain it nearly gone .. at least the daily 24 hour constant pain like I had pre-surgery!!!  yahoo!
I do still have pain around bedtime if I have over worked or stressed the knee, but not nearly to the degree of pre-op!  But I will say, drastic weather changes .. my goodness .. those hurt!

I was released to start doing additional things;
1.  stairs (slowly) .. do them as the knee tolerates!   So far so good.  I have not done them to often, couple of times a day.  Going up is much easier than going down!
2.  Treadmill .. but that hurts actually so I dont do that
3.  mini squats, to about 45-60 degrees with no weight

At 6 months (few more weeks), I am released to start trying the following
-  elliptical machine
-  pivoting (like in my boxing classes)
-  hills and inclines, like baby hikes when weather breaks
-  leg presses with more weight (been doing for awhile but with like 50 lbs)
-  jumping rope
-  stability stuff, standing only on operative knee on a bosi ball

I mostly notice my knee is really unstable on uneven ground or were the knee works on balancing.
I live in snow country .. so walking in the uneven snow is a huge challenge and often aggravates my knee.

Honestly, I have been doing more swimming than anything for exercise and rehab.  I am looking forward to spring to really start getting the quad used in daily outdoor activities.  Its still so very week in my opinion!

So, overall its doing good!  I see doc at 7 months .. I'll try to remember to update post that visit!

good luck to all!

Offline newkirk101

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2014, 09:16:54 PM »
Hi Thornburg-

I am 6 months post op oats allo.  I have two defects both about 1 cm. I cannot run but I can walk fine.  Going down stairs is difficult but I can put weight on it.  Are you able to run? 

Offline sbb89

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2014, 11:05:07 PM »
Hello!
Your posts have been so HELPFUL to me. I have had 5 knee surgeries thus far and have been recommended an allograft.

I am wondering how yours worked, how that you should be close to fully healed?!
Please update soon, I am super nervous because no other surgeries have worked, so what means this one will!?

Offline ED_RN

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2015, 05:33:09 PM »
This thread has been a HUGE help! Props for navigating NYC while on crutches. Am scared stiff about navigating my house and finding a ride to PT while my husband is at work. Great to know you were able to pivot so early, am looking forward to getting back to work once I'm able to do that. Thanks again!