Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Osteochondral allograft  (Read 18778 times)

Offline xclaxmom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
Re: Osteochondral allograft
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 03:26:06 PM »
Hi. I'm very happy to hear your pain is a lot better.
Did you have a nerve block? That may be why your quad is asleep. My daughter used the Velcro straps on her brace to assist in doing leg lifts the first couple of days. Also her nurse suggested she drink a lot of liquids to flush out all the toxins from all the meds that were put in her body to recover faster.
Your doing great considering surgery was less than a week ago.

Xclaxmom.

Offline Heidi Ductable

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 11:09:19 PM »
Hi Thornburg,

What you're going through sounds familiar. I could do inner- and outer-thigh leg lifts right away post-op, too. I still can't do a straight-leg lift and I'm coming up on 5 weeks post-op.  I asked my brother about this (he's an orthopedic surgeon) and he said they probably cut your retinaculum during surgery and it'll take time to heal. So what you're experiencing isn't atrophy. It's likely mechanical/anatomical. Right now, I'm trying to see if I can sit on the edge of the bed and lift my lower leg so it's straight out - flush with my knee. That, too, seems like Mission Impossible.  The spot below my knee is just so weak. I'm not worried about it, though. I'm just working at it. I think being allowed to ride an upright bike will help a lot. But remember, it was 4 weeks before I was permitted to do that, and I'm athletic. Sounds like you are, too. So... time & patience.

I can also relate to having meltdowns because you get sick of asking other people for favors all the time. Same here!  Once you're allowed to send that horribly dull CPM machine back, you might get to do some activities that get your muscles firing again and that will help psychologically because you'll feel like you're achieving something. The muscles will come back fairly quickly -- much faster than all the stuff that had to be repaired. 

What did your doc say about non-weightbearing?  How long did he/she predict you'll be on crutches?

Offline thornburg

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 02:14:50 AM »
Woo Hoo !!!! :) :) :) :)

I did a leg lift tonight!   then I did about 10 of them and my leg got really tired!   I am going to try to do them every hour that I am not in the CPM machine!   I am so happy with this little victory!
(I am nervous about trying again, but sure it will work a 2nd attempt too, right!)

Hi xclaxmom -
Yes, I had a nerve block .. from what I remember, i had three shots in various parts of my leg to numb it all.  It lasted almost 24 hours. This nerve block worked alot better than my from 2009 surgery!

Hi Heidi -

I am non-weight bearing for 6 weeks!  once I can to a leg lift and leg "feels" more sturdy, I can stop wearing my brace too.  Last time I still wore my brace out in public until I was off crutches .. will probably follow that same path this time.   god forbid some knock me down without my brace on! 
Its ironic you say the spot below your knee is weak .. mine feels tender to touch there!

My biggest next goal is to get the knee bending more on it own, like when sitting in a chair vs only bending in the cpm machine.  I am probably 15-20 degrees when I am on the floor and pull it towards me on the floor.  I remember from my last surgery, making it bend HURT more than anything! 

Yes, i do consider my self an athletic and outdoor gal ... love riding my bike (in town or on trails), swimming, martial arts (boxing and krav maga), anything outdoors (hiking, yard stuff).. used to love to run but after my knee surgery in 2009, had to give that up for life! 

I know time and patience, but as you related to .. its hard some days!  I am sure I will have more of those frustrating days, its only been 1 week and I got 5 more weeks on crutches ... then I am sure few months down the road when I want to go do something, the knee will remind me .. not ready yet!  ;-p
I experienced alot of those from my ACI surgery .. the knee was like, hello .. do you remember what you did to me!  LOL

Well .. just wanted to drop you all a note that I did get a leg lift today and knew you all would understand my victory!  Thanks for the support!!!

Have a good week all and I'll check in later and share any updates that occur.  If you ladies have any updates .. please share too!

take care!

Offline Heidi Ductable

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 02:07:15 PM »
Excellent! Congratulations on your leg lifts, Thorn!

By sheer coincidence, I did my first straight leg lift last night, too!  I was just sitting on the couch playing with an old Thera-band and realized I could lift my leg if I used the tension of the band. Then I tried it with less tension, and pretty soon... voila!! No hands! 

Like you, it wasn't only one lift, but I could crank out 10 of them (and do multiple sets). 

YES!!!  High five to you, Thornburg, wherever you are!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 02:10:48 PM by Heidi Ductable »

Offline thornburg

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 02:18:49 PM »
Awesome news Heidi !
that is a very cool that your quad "clicked" and leg lift craze begins!   

My leg lifts still hurt, the first several of them are still a challenge but I find the more I do during a session it is getting easier!
I am hoping when I see doc on Friday, that I am released to ride the recumbent bike at the gym.  That will help my psychological issues greatly.

I am seriously struggling with the lack of mobility and crutches this time around.  I am wondering if it is because surgery came so quickly after I gave the go ahead for donor tissue hunt and I was not as mentally ready as I thought I was for this.   Plus the weather here in Indianapolis has been wonderful and I look out into my yard and see thing after thing that I need to get done. 
and I miss riding my bike .... really really bad! 

so, are has anyone be permitted to weight bear sooner than the 6 week mark that I have been given?
right now 6 weeks seems like FOREVER!

Ok, enough whinning for today!  thanks for listening!  ;)

hope everyone is doing well .... checkin with ya later!

Offline Heidi Ductable

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 05:46:39 PM »
Hi Thorn!

Mobility issues, hmmm... once again, we're thinking the same thing at the exact same time. I went to my first PT session yesterday via New York City subway. Getting there was okay (once I squished myself and my crutches through the narrow turnstile and practically had to beg someone to give up a seat before the train started moving). Getting home was less fun. Weaving through morning rush hour pedestrian traffic in Times Square (when everyone was looking down at their smartphones)...long sets of descending stairs -- have you figured out yet what to do with your spare crutch while you've got one hand on the railing?  (I was so desperate that I started asking strangers to carry it down for me. Five people blew by me and ignored the question before a Scandinavian kid finally agreed to do it.)

As for weightbearing prior to 6 weeks post-op... my doc said that even a month might be on the early side. BUT he also added that there's no hard science on when to start, so your doc might advise differently. Personally, I don't feel any more mobile now that I'm allowed to put 25-40 lbs on it (fwiw, 25 lbs is roughly the weight of your leg), but it's nice to feel the ground again and roll my foot through the stride a bit. More than partial weightbearing, the A#1 thing that's helped me the most -- and has given me a LOT more independence -- is being able to bend my knee 90 degrees and more. It means I can finally tie my own shoe. I can get in and out of the shower easily. I can sit at my desk without lugging a footstool across the room every time to keep it elevated.  I can sleep in any position I want. And stairs are a million times more manageable.

Anyway, I hope your appt on Friday brings you good news! Please keep us posted. Till then... enjoy the Indy fall!  Nice!

Offline thornburg

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 05:19:12 PM »
Hi all and Happy Friday!

10 days post op update and doc visit today!  Highlights:

1.  Swelling: knee looks great from a swelling perspective, swelling is not bad at all .. very proud of all the icing been doing!
2.  Bending is pretty good .. not awful and not great .. I am up to 75 on CPM and about 45-60 on my own.
3.  Staples out .. I can shower freely .. YEA!!
4.  No weight bearing (at all!) for 6 weeks ... not up for discussion
5.  Allowed to ride recumbent bike all I want as long as I dont push with my surgical leg .. its just gets to ride along
6.  Allowed to get in pool, deep end only and do flutter kicks and bicycle motions .. NO Swimming or other kicks and no walking in pool (yet)

I did get order for PT .. while my leg lifts are ok, doc really wants quad engaged more (seems I am using my hip more than realized) ... so gonna hit some PT sessions and do some bio-feedback stuff.  Just 3-4 visits so that in my 4 week follow up my leg lifts are nothing and I can do 50+ without any issues.

We did discuss me going back to work cuz I am bored ... but his decision/recommendation I am off till my next visit in 4 weeks.   Concern that if I go back, I will get behind my desk and work without moving my knee and not doing my rehab protocol which will result in swelling, less cpm time ... he is right, I would not cuz I would get sucked into working.  so .. rehab and exercise is my focus for next 4 week!   Considering all the effort we went thru for this surgery, need to rehab it or whats the point!   I hate it when docs are right!   :o

Overall, typical and standard outcome for the first post op visit!

Heidi -  Girl you get props from me!   Riding the subway on crutches for PT, in NYC .. OMG!   There is no way I could deal with that headache ... you go girl!!! ;)   just freaking amazing!   And here I sit and complain about not being able to get around the house as I want or go upstairs ... thanks for the reality check!   :)

Talk to you all next week!

Offline xclaxmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 11:53:14 PM »
Sounds like you had a good doctors appointment Thornburg. I told my daughter that you were allowed to use recumbent bike and go in the pool.  She is soooo jealous but good for you. Keep up the good work.

Offline Heidi Ductable

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 08:53:01 PM »
Hi Thorn,

How goes it?  I hope your permission to exercise (and shower!) is giving you a major lift. :)

Today's my first day of weight bearing, and I have one tip for when you reach 6 weeks post-op: if you can schedule a PT session for that first morning, I'd recommend it. I went in pretty nervous and came out pretty confident.  Sometimes it's nice to have someone w/experience help you get over the psychological hump. It didn't take a lot of hand-holding (and it probably won't for you either because you're an athlete, too), but it was just enough.  From there, I walked directly into Times Square during the morning rush. (I'm not crazy; I had to be somewhere. Really!) The challenge then became trying to find somewhere to sit when I had to bail out after about 5 blocks of turtle-slow single-crutching.

Anyway, I know you're not far behind. So keep up the great work in terms of icing and range-of motion stuff. If you're already working on getting your quads more engaged, then you should be in excellent shape once your R.O.M. comes around.   

All the best!

Offline thornburg

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 03:57:10 PM »
Hi Heidi  (and xclaxmom) -

So its 17 days post op ... almost 3 weeks!    ;D

Things are going great with the knee ... its the crutches that I am about to throw thru the darn window!
I am soooo (and I repeat, so) over them and the limitations with them.  I am so frustrated with them and the inability to manage on my own easily.
I honestly think, no weight bearing is harder than no bending (rules for my ACI surgery).   At least then I could walk around straight legged and mange a few things on my own.

Knee wise ... went to first PT .. drove myself .. OMG, that felt great.  PT was fine, nothing exciting.
Added a few stretches and exercises but as you both know, limited till weight bearing can occur in 3 more weeks!  BTW, Heidi .. thanks for the PT tip on weight bearing .. I will make sure I schedule it for that day!!!!  Plus you will hear a scream of excitement from Indy .. thats me semi-walking!

I am about 95-100 degrees bending on my own and my leg raises are getting stronger each day.  I think
riding the recumbent bike (even only a few times) has helped more than anything.  Its just hard to get to the gym (harder than I expected) .. from parking lot to actual gym part is quite a haul on crutches .. and seems to take me forever.  CPM is at 100 degrees .. tired of that contraption too!
Now, lifting my leg straight from the bent position, not so much.   Gonna talk to PT about that next week (I am doing twice a week for next 2 weeks).  Might be me "scared" or hesitant too .. we shall see.

Guess that brings it up to speed on my rehab and such. 

more later... take care!

Offline Heidi Ductable

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2013, 07:28:01 PM »
How goes it now?
You're one week closer to weight bearing than last time. Getting psyched?

Just got back from a cross-country trip, and air travel wasn't too bad with one crutch (but it would have been nearly impossible with two crutches and no help)... and now... I think I'm finally crutch-free (nine days after given the all-clear for weight-bearing).  I still have to wear an unloader brace for three more weeks, though (which means more shorts, no jeans), but when I walk around now, my brain thinks I'm back to normal and can take my normal NYC pace. So the knee gets pooped when I'm about halfway to my destination. But PT went really well today. My balance is still there when I try to stand on the bad leg, I just have to get the muscles in the bottom of my foot stronger, etc...

So the message to you, Thorn, is to keep doing what you're doing (esp if stationary biking is allowed), be really diligent about it, and it will pay off. Once you wean yourself off crutches (and remember to be patient with that - your body will let you know when you've overdone it), it's a whole new world. Not quite normal, but newly familiar.

Offline thornburg

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2013, 03:58:53 PM »

Four Week Post Op report

All is good, so far!   2 more weeks of this non-weight bearing ... I am starting to count the hours till I see doc and I am told, "go forth and walk"!!   ;)

Knee wise .. I am at 120 degree bend, leg raises no prob ... all my other exercises are going super well too.   I am down to PT once a week now since the knee looks and healing so good.
I ride the recumbent bike every chance I get (min 3 times a week) and each time at the gym I move the seat closer to the pedals.  I did over do it last week and my knee told me!   >:(

I still have a bit of swelling despite the icing I do ... PT says it really is not bad, it will take some time to work it out completely. I keep being reminded, it has only been a month!   ::)

I have now started scar and knee cap massages to get the knee cap moving a bit more easily.  Over all, it moves pretty good .. up and down it is a bit tight.

I wish I had more, but it is just more of the same at this point.  Looking forward to doc appt on the 18th.
I'll check in after doc appt and share what is up next.

hope everyone is doing well with their rehab too.

more soon!

Offline thornburg

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2013, 04:53:12 PM »

6 Week Post op status after doc visit today

The knee looks great and Doc is very pleased (even a bit surprised) on how well I am recovering.
- minimal swelling
- very minimal pain
- good patella movement
- very good ROM (130 degrees)
- leg lifts are strong
- x-rays show the allograft plugs look good
- released back to work full time next week

I am allowed to begin weight bearing with transitioning to take 2-4 weeks.  WOO HOO !!!  :)
I am to take it SLOW!
I quote him "no pounding on that knee" ... slow to weight bearing, don't go messing this all up it has taken us to long and to many surgeries to finally get to this point!! 
If I feel pain when walking, back it down - add crutch(s) and try again in few days.

I can switch to 'regular bike' at the gym when I am off the crutches completely, until then stay on recumbent bike.  I can swim again, flutter kicks only (like with crawl stroke).
I am even released from PT with a home program, at this point since he is pleased with my rehab to date.

So, overall a good visit and heard the things I wanted from the doctor.   I see doctor again in 3 months!

I will drop in when I am free from the crutches and give another status update.

Offline xclaxmom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, 09:09:53 PM »
That's great news Thornburg. Keep up the good work. Your body is bouncing back quickly. Like the Doctor said, take it slow.

Offline thornburg

• Regular Poster
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 05:56:44 PM »
9 week post op status :

Going OK, cant really complain other than recovery moving slower than I desire.   No real problems or issues to report, just strength is gone and endurance is short.
I am finally off crutches, just came off the one crutch last week.  Have a bit of a limp/wobble but working to walk "normal".

I can walk grocery stores, target .. stuff like that then I am about done and have to give the knee a rest.
Swelling is minimal except when I really tax it or after a light workout.

I am in PT once a week (more for my own sake, to keep me in check from doing to much). I tend to go full steam ahead and my PT therapist helps bring me back to reality.   ;)

I am allowed to:
Leg press with both legs (really low weight)
Recumbent bike still (maybe move to "normal" stationary bike in a week or so)
work on putting all weight on surgical leg on flat level surface only (balance sorta stuff)
heel raises
almost anything straight legged (leg raises with low weight)
gonna start swimming next week

Over all things are good and I am progressing forward slowly, not much more to share!

hope every out there is recovering well too!

until next status ...