Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Success Stories on Arthrofibrosis?  (Read 2202 times)

Offline SarahSmile

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Success Stories on Arthrofibrosis?
« on: January 25, 2004, 10:26:41 PM »
Hi everyone :)

I have severe arthrofibrosis and am going in for my 4th surgery this Weds... I am staying positive, however, I am desparately searching for success stories with scar tissue removal.. I know everyone is different and has had knee problems for different time periods, however, I want to hear about your successes in this regard!
Thank you so much!!! :)
Sarah
Severe AF
'95-ACL Recon
'01-ACL Recon revision; 30 degrees extension
'02-MUA, notchplasty. Severe arthrofibrosis.
'04-MUA,Chondroplasty,menisectomy,synovectomy,bone spur rmvl.
'04-MUA, Chondroplasty,synovectomy
'05-Extensive LOA, AIR, LR
Surgery #7: 7/12/06: LOA, AIr
9/15/06: DIAGNOSED W/ RSD

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Success Stories on Arthrofibrosis?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 09:27:04 AM »
Sarah,

The only one I know of posting here with a success story is Laurie.  She had her condition identified very quickly and sought help from one of the best surgeons in the country.  It took her about two years, but I believe she is back running and skiing.

I have the same doctor, but a different set of underlying conditions (patellar mal-tracking which is congenital, patella baja, and patellar osteoarthritis) and my story hasn't been as successful.  My pain levels are still very, very high and I don't have a lot of functional use of my knee for anything but the most basic of activities.

However, I'm much better than I was before my last surgery a year ago--it was a qualified success that helped me to walk without a limp, gain full extension and flexion, and helped reduce some of the chronic swelling.  I'm still dealing with mechanical problems that resulted from the scar tissue.

Find a really good doctor, preferrably one who has done a lot of research and publishing about arthrofibrosis.  Then find a PT who knows as much as the doctor does, because this is a condition that doesn't respond well to standard knee therapies...in fact, these can make things worse.

Best of luck.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

support