Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Odds of a re-rupture??  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Madgame45

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Odds of a re-rupture??
« on: August 27, 2013, 09:10:17 AM »
Aloha all from the islands..I ruptured my patellar tendon at the top and actually some ossified bone went along with it..the knee was already damaged over a number of years of overuse...I had a permanent bump for about 3 yrs...I ruptured the tendon completely playing bball on a jumpstop move...now Im in the 10th month of recovery...I feel I have a better knee now.   Except for thigh atrophy and a bit of knee swelling I m doin great..Now I wonder what the odds of a re-rupture are if I go back to my sport. Any statistics out there??? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks..Lou from Honolulu.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Odds of a re-rupture??
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 12:19:30 PM »
Hi Lou

Welcome to the RPT thread of KneeGuru

You are the fist person from Honolulu to register on this board -  on the question of a possible rerupture, can only advise you to listen to your knee, but I would give it some time before returning to an agressive sport.

Meanwhile, have a read of the documents which I have compiled together with KneeGuru, from which you will learn anything that you have not lived through the last ten months.  Don`t give up hope, but put sport at the back of your list.

Don`t fail to ask questions.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
Re: Odds of a re-rupture??
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 11:23:32 PM »
madgame45, I have read most of the posts on the patellar tendon rupture site and you should probably be OK in terms of rerupturing, unless you actually do it again.  Sounds kind of stupid.  I have been in contact with a mainlander who ruptured one knee tendon and then after rehabbing for 10 weeks, ruptured both, but he actually fell and it just was an accident.  I live near St. Louis and I am dreading my midwest winter with the snow and ice.  I plan on taking it very easy this winter and possibly working from home if there is even the least bit of chance of slipper conditions.  I dont know how much you have read on the tenon rupture site, but jumper's knee and basketball lead to rutpures, with previous injuries leading to ruptures, even in younger folks.  Seems like the majority of RPT sufferers are over 30 and male, even though it happens to younger people and women.  I would say take it easier and find a brace you like.  I plan on finding a knee brace when I am able to return to coaching my girls' softball teams.  I will be a bucket coach when it comes to catching the fastpitch, but I dont need that squatting stress on my knees again and cant imagine doing it.  Hope everything goes well.  You seem to be doing well if you are 10 months out.

Tom
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

support