Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL tears in both the knees  (Read 3993 times)

Offline Soumo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL tears in both the knees
« on: August 23, 2013, 09:12:06 AM »
I have full ACL tears in both the knees (4 and 3years). However, I don't feel any instability while walking, jogging, or other normal activities but have experienced painful twists while playing soccer. Do I have to go for surgery to continue playing? Can I operate both the knees together? My doctor says the left one is more serious.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 09:17:29 AM by Soumo »

drmark

Re: ACL tears in both the knees
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 06:48:19 PM »
Since my rehab protocol allows immediate motion and weight bearing without restriction or crutches, doing both knees at the same time, makes it no more difficult than doing one at a time.  In fact, its much easier on the patient's pocketbook, because the time off work is half of doing them consecutively.   If the doctor's rehab program is more conservative (don't ask me why?) then such a plan is not feasible.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 07:35:53 PM by drmark »

Offline Soumo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 06:50:46 AM »
Thanks, Dr. Mark. My right ACL is relatively better as per the doctors. However, lately I have twisted my right knee while playing, even with brace. I had pain in the MCL region and swelling. I applied ice and started exercising after a few days of rest. The doctor assured me it's a not any kind of tear.It became normal but I twisted it again yesterday, the pain is in the same region but not much swelling. I can fold my leg with a bit uneasiness, tightness on the muscle over the patella. Have I injured my MCL or is it happening because my ACL is not supporting properly? Strangely, my left knee is seldom injured. Lachman tests confirmed, it's more torn. I was admitted long ago to have surgery on the left ACL but the doctor sent me back saying, I have good hamstring support and ethically he would avoid surgery then. I am in soup about the real conditions of my ACLs.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 08:06:36 AM by Soumo »

drmark

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 01:22:18 PM »
An examination with the KT-1000 will determine objectively the amount of anterior excursion and but to bed the uncertainty.

Offline Soumo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 12:27:07 PM »
Thanks Dr. Mark but KT-1000 is not common in India. MRI is the most reliable procedure here.

I know it's stupid to ask without any physical examination but I'm asking u because I'm too worried.
Going by my descriptions, did I hurt/damaged my MCL of right knee or it's the effect of the already injured ACL?

The pain and mild swelling on the inside of the knee, swelling also on the upper patella region and it feels very tight. I can almost fold my leg but with uneasiness. Not so painful as the previous ACL injuries but the uneasiness if not instability is there.