Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: high tibial osteotomy hardware removal?  (Read 9966 times)

Offline bigal177

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
high tibial osteotomy hardware removal?
« on: August 19, 2013, 09:08:36 PM »
 hi all I have had osteotomy's on both legs 3 years ago and 1 1/2 years ago respectively
I am due to have the hardware removed on both legs at same time as well as a scope on my left knee
where I am experiencing severe pain when coming down stairs or squatting down on the lateral side of my knee ,feels like it gets stuck and the pain is severe  :-\ the surgeries were carried out for severe OA
on the medial side .
I am curious to see if anyone else has had both lots of hardware removed at the same time
take care
Alan

Offline MTLover

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: high tibial osteotomy hardware removal?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 09:25:38 PM »
I've only had one HTO, but did have the hardware taken out hoping that would help with the pain I was experiencing.  Unfortunately, for me, hardware removal didn't help at all (in fact some days I think it actually made things worse), but that is just my experience.

In the beginning, I was having severe pain on the lateral side of my knee.  Now, after the surgeries, the pain has just been transferred to the medial side  :'(  So, net result = 0

I wear a brace now when I do anything, and even though it doesn't remove the pain, it does help some (or maybe it's the painkillers which I now take daily).  Squats are totally out of the question for me anymore :(

What has your OS said about recovery time with getting both legs done at once - along with a scope?  Will you be able to manage on crutches?  I think I was on crutches for about 3-4 weeks afterwards so the holes could start getting filled in.

Good luck with your surgery and keep us posted on your recovery.  I do hope they won't find anything when they do the scope....

Offline bigal177

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 10:22:43 PM »
removing both lots of hardware at same time was my surgeons idea ,so I am confident that I will be able to cope as he said I would just be a little sore ,nothing like the HTO 
the scope at the same time was my idea as I thought it would make sense as they are not too intrusive
and I can get answers as to why I am having pain on the lateral side

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 06:04:43 PM »
Hi Alan

How are you getting along now the hardware is out? Is it any better? As you know I do not have to have my implant out, so not sure how hardware removal feels.Another friend had his hardware out and was fine in a few days, but I know when I had my last arthroscopy just before Christmas, I used crutches for a few days, just to make my life easier. Something I have bought myself, so they are always there when needed.
My house has loads taking up storage space, crutches, walking stick, cryo cuff also had a rail put on the stairs. When will it all end???
Have you had the results of the arthroscopy, what did your OS say? I have not got rid of my pain, and am going for my knee brace fitting in a couple of weeks. Hopefully this will help.

Must catch up for a drink soon and compare knees!!! Email me soon.

Pat

Offline Philip1000

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 11:02:27 AM »
Sorry to hear of poor outcome from HTOs.

I have just had my HTO on 29th Nov 2013. I have had numbness around the op site. At first it seemed as if the nerves were damaged. But the sensation has now changed and the numbness seems to be just around the plate. Is this normal and is it just the sensation of having a plate in place? Any thoughts.

All the best to all those out there with similar problems.

philip

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 04:40:28 PM »
Sorry to hear of poor outcome from HTOs.

I have just had my HTO on 29th Nov 2013. I have had numbness around the op site. At first it seemed as if the nerves were damaged. But the sensation has now changed and the numbness seems to be just around the plate. Is this normal and is it just the sensation of having a plate in place? Any thoughts.

All the best to all those out there with similar problems.

philip

Philip...I have, and will likely always have, numbness and tingling over the site of my DFO. The sensation in much of that leg is slightly "off", for what its worth. I had my hardware removed a little over a year ago, and if anything, the numbness has increased. What likely happened to you is some of the nerves regenerate, some do not--or take a long time.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline UK86

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 01:43:13 PM »
In the beginning, I was having severe pain on the lateral side of my knee.  Now, after the surgeries, the pain has just been transferred to the medial side  :'(  So, net result = 0
This sounds really similar to my experience so far, although I'm not long post op yet.

How long did it take you to realise the pain was still there?
Nov 2015 - HTO & Lateral Release

Offline aussie1087

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 12:36:16 PM »
Hi Alan,

I was just wondering how your hardware removal went? I had my plate and screws removed 3 weeks ago, and for the last 2 weeks the pain seems to be getting worse each day. Physio said not to be discouraged, and the freezing cold weather isn't helping, but I can't walk without limping anymore (I was fine before having the hardware removed) and there is constant pain where the screws were in my leg..
August 2006 - Partial Menisectomy
October 2015 - HTO/Arthroscopy
June 2016 - Hardware removal

support