Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Question Regarding Knee Wrapping/Braces  (Read 808 times)

Offline gominnesotawild

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Question Regarding Knee Wrapping/Braces
« on: January 25, 2004, 01:40:02 AM »
Hi, everyone!

Cool board here!  Hard to find information which is not trying to sell something!  I'll give you a bit of background ... then I do have a question:

I tore my ACL and meniscus about six years ago my first, and last, time roller blading.  I had a lot of stabilization problems and pain. I had my knee scoped and "cleaned out" but did not have the reconstruction done.  Which seemed like the best thing at the time (and what the doctor suggested).  I have had little problems with it ... occasionally (once a year) I will "throw it out" (inaccurate, but a good description).  Usually this has happened when I am not being careful, as I try to be conscious of using my other leg ... in other words, I get tipsy at a wedding reception and crunch my knee!  

Post surgery I am active in things such as biking, walking, elliptical machine, etc.  Nothing very "lateral."  They are starting an adult vs. youth floor hockey league at work (I'm a secretary at an elementary school).  Which sounds like a ton of fun to me, plus I love hockey.  Unfortunately the "real" brace I received after surgery no longer fits properly - I'm not in as good of shape as I was back then.  At this point, I really don't want to spend $500 on a new brace ... has anyone had any success with over the count braces?  Or does anyone have any information or websites which offer information on if there are ways to wrap a knee to create more stability?  I know I would need to be careful, but something to help.  Now is the first time I'm really thinking the reconstruction would have been a better idea.

Any suggestion or information would be appreciated!  Thank you!   :D

Go Minnesota Wild!

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Question Regarding Knee Wrapping/Braces
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2004, 01:56:18 AM »
Oy, I have never had an ACL injury so I am not sure I am the best source of info. HOwever, there are over the counter ACL braces ... that are not custom fit. Have you ever tried those. I am not sure of the cost. A  good website to check out might be www.breg.com, breg is a very good brace company and they stand behind all of their products. I got my PF braces from them...and swear by them. Sorry I coudln't be of more help.
Take care , good luck
Linds
PS you should try posting this down on the crutciate ligaments section of the board, you may have more success.
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?