Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Retinaculum tears, anyone?  (Read 906 times)

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
Retinaculum tears, anyone?
« on: January 24, 2004, 06:30:29 AM »
Just curious.  .  .

When I finally got to see the operation notes from my first surgery (ORIF for broken patella), I learned that both retinacula were repaired during the process.

I don't see any discussions on retinaculum issues. Is that because a few stitches to repair them will do the trick?

LizL
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

Offline anasta5ia

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Retinaculum tears, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2004, 03:08:55 AM »
LizL-

You will find a little about retinaculum repains in the Patellofemoral section and the surgical procedures section.  I have had my medial retinaculum on my right knee repaired first and then completely reconstructed using a material called SIS.  I am aso going to have my left one reconstructed very soon.  

Many times there are just small tears in the retinaculum that can be taken care of with a couple of sutures, but in extreme cases like mine there is MUCH more work required.

You may also find info where people talk about the repair/reconstruction of the medial patello-femoral ligament.  This is the main component of the medial retinaculum and some OS's will only refer to it as the MPFL.

Hugs-
Heather G.
Rt. knee-plica resection, LR, 4 TTTs, MPFL repair & 2 MPFL reconstructions
Lt. knee-2 TTTs, & 2 MPFL reconstructions...
Scheduled for bilateral hardware removal, lt. knee TT revision, MPFL recon and LR recon with new wonderful surgeon.
Plus 9 other orthopedic surgeries