Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL, PCL, MCL AND LCL damaged, anyone else???  (Read 12400 times)

Offline Johnnyp060

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
Re: ACL, PCL, MCL AND LCL damaged, anyone else???
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 09:53:41 PM »
That's awesome!!!!  Keep up the good work!!!  I love days that just click!!!!
3/4/12 Dirtbike crash, tore ACL, PCL and MCL
5/14/12 Surgery done to replace ACL, PCL and MCL with cadaver tendons
12/4/13 ACL and MCL replaced again, kneecap released and anchored and external fixator installed

Offline AlfaPapaDaisy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 04:35:04 PM »
I am very relieved to have found others with as severe a knee injury as me - not that I would wish this on anyone!

Nine months ago I fell whilst bouldering indoors and landed badly dislocating my left knee. The dislocation cause complete rupture of MCL, PCL, ACL and MOL plus a fracture of the tibia. I've had two lots of surgery, the first was an urgent arthroscopy to reattach the MCL, and the second a reconstruction of the ACL using part of my right hamstring and a donor Achilles tendon.

It's been 12 weeks since my reconstruction and I've just been referred for an MUA as I'm struggling with flexion and can't get my knee much past 90-95 degrees, which is limiting the amount of rehab I can do.

Just wanted to say - thank you so much to everyone who has shared info. It's comforting to know there are others coming 'out the other side' of an injury like this. My intention is to be able to fell run and climb again, but right now, today I can barely get on an exercise bike so feeling pretty lousy!

Offline Johnnyp060

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 07:33:13 PM »
Sorry about your injury, hang in there and stay positive. You're correct about support and being in contact with those that get what you're going through, it's key during recovery which is why I started a support FB page called The 0.02%  My Multi-ligament (ACL, PCL, MCL) Injury, check it out!!!  We have an awesome and very active group of people on there at all different stages of recovery. Good luck and remember to stay positive.
12/4/13 ACL and MCL replaced again, kneecap released and anchored and external fixator installed

Offline stephanofernandes

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 09:38:37 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am from Brazil and I was studying in USA in an exchange program and after watching a Brazil soccer gamer during the World Cup last year, me and my friend went out during the night when one of the guys jumped over my shoulder and I couldn't support his weight and twisted my knee to the inside and heard it popping. Felt a terrible pain and found out two weeks later that I had completely tore my ACL, PCL and MCL at once.

I was alone in another country far away from my family but I decided to have the surgery on Miami on July 27th of 2014. I had the surgery with allografts from a donor, and after 10 day I came back to Brazil to start the rehab. I went to the PT for a long time and also did some exercises in a pool for a while, but after 3 months of surgery I had to go back to work. After I started working again, I didn't have the same availability to go to PT and then I stopped about 4 months after the surgery. After 5 months of surgery, I started working out in a Gym focusing on exercises for my leg and knee. I lost a lot of my hamstring muscles, and my leg was very weak.

Now I am 7 months after the surgery and I fell my leg much stronger than before. I can lift more weight at the Gym than I used to when I started. The only thing that I am concerned is that my ROM is still limited. I can bend my knee around 125 degrees but I still miss 5 degrees from 0 degree of extension, which makes walk with a limp mainly when I get up after stay seated for a while.

I am afraid I will never gain a ROM close to normal again I still feel my knee very stiff and when I told my doctor about it, he told me that PT won't help me so much and I need to focus on getting my strength back and get used to the idea that my ROM will never me close to normal again.

My question is: How is/was your ROM after 7 months of surgery? Is it close to normal again? Does the PT still make effect after such long time after the surgery? Have you started exercising in a Gym?

Best Regards,
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:41:57 PM by stephanofernandes »

Offline Johnnyp060

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 03:29:11 AM »
Thanks for joining our support group, Stephano!!!!! 

Offline KP1708

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2015, 04:16:50 PM »
Follow up: motorcycle injury 10/19/2013 ruptured ACL,PCL,MCL,LCL,PLC, IT band, tore medial and lateral meniscus, along with ruptured patella tendon away from tibia.
7 surgeries and 8 months on crutches without being able to walk on it, my doctor gave up on being able to repair it.
I changed doctors and the new one said no way to fix it because of damage and time.
So on 6/24/2014, I had a salvage tkr with one that supported all 4 ligaments.
By 7/13/2014 I was walking without the aid of crutches or a cane.
I walk without a limp and have full extension and ROM of 125*, I can go on it all day without any real issues. Not as good as the original, but way better than those 8 months.

Offline Johnnyp060

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2015, 12:49:21 PM »
Awesome news!!!!  TKR will be my next move too. Just have to talk my doc into giving me one. They're afraid if I get one now at age 41, I'll wear it out and need another one. We'll see. Keep up the good work.

Offline healingup

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 07:06:50 AM »
Guys, I see a lot have u have limited ROM. I had this too after MCL, ACL recon. However, limited ROM is mostly due to a BAD SURGERY. I had 5 deg los of extension and could not go beyong 120 deg. I did not trust it and a went to a doc far far away from my first doc (12 hours flight). There it turned out that the ACL tunnel was placed way too much anterior on the febula and the dMCL was placed too low. Therefore instability in extention and no more than 120 deg flexion with pain. Over here they redo everything for about 30k euros.

Guys dont mess around. 1) see a good doc 2) NEVER trust your doc and 3) always go for a post op MRI and second opinion with a doc that is INDEPENDENT. Oh and 4) dont wait more than several weeks to do this. After a yesr you are most likely too late.