Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How long until you could run again -- After Lateral Release  (Read 855 times)

Offline runningsoon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello,

I would like to hear about the recovery experience of others who have undergone a lateral release.
I had the operation 1.5 years ago on my left knee due to incorrect tracking and years of cartilage damage.

Before the surgery I was an active runner (when my knee wasn't acting up). After the surgery the quadriceps in my left leg completely atrophied and has yet to build more than 2/3 the size of my right leg. I have gone through physical therapy and weight trained regularly for the past year. I've also shifted my focus to biking, which until recently I was able to do for long distances. In the past few weeks I've begun to experience pain that limits my biking, and even my walking.

How long did it take you to start running again and did anyone else have trouble building muscle in spite of frequent weight training. I'm trying to understand the culprit to my inability to build a balance in leg strength necessary to run.

Thanks!

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: How long until you could run again -- After Lateral Release
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 03:19:52 PM »
Hi There,

I am also an active long distance runner and did not have lateral release surgery on my right knee instead I had my medial plica removed and fat pad trimmed as I felt pain and catching and was unable to run at the time. After my scope it took a total of 18 months till I was back to full fitness and at a competitive level running again. It is vitally important that you keep on top of your PT as your quads will have gone to waste that will feel like jelly and takes time to build them up strong and firm again. Quads where you had your lateral release surgery will shrink in size and even now I am finding it hard to get my right quad the same size as my left, there is a method of PT to get them larger again and can no longer remember the exercise programme I was given by my physio.

Swimming is an excellent way to build up the muscles and quads again with virtually no impact on the knees and is the ideal time of the year to go swimming with the summer weather right now. Also very important that you find a good physio that's got a good reputation that you can trust 100% who can advise you if you should carry on doing PT or need to be checked out by an OS again.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

support