Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL repair - Cadavar donor or not?  (Read 446 times)

Offline KarenHadley

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
ACL repair - Cadavar donor or not?
« on: July 09, 2013, 10:51:52 PM »
Anyone have an ACL repair using a cadavar tendon? I'm going to have my ACL repaired in a few months and need to decide if this is the best method for me, the dr says it is b/c of my age (52), still very active, but not athletic, he says the recovery time is much faster.

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: ACL repair - Cadavar donor or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 11:48:02 PM »
I had a revision acl reconstruction in May using a cadaver patella tendon, I am also a similar age and from the sound if things a similar activity level, the reason my surgeon decided to go with this graft was more to do with the fact he could use a bigger bone block from the cadaver than he could take from my own leg, I needed  a revision due to the original tunnels being placed wrongly which meant he had to drill the tunnels out quite a bit to change their position and needed the bigger bone blocks to fill in the tunnels to hopefully give me a better outcome than last time.

I have also hear from others around the same age who have had the cadaver graft because their surgeons felt a younger donor graft is better than using their own either hamstring or patella tendon simply due to their age, I was 49 when I had my ACL'r done the first time and that was using my own hamstring and even though the tunnels were not correctly placed I don't know if by using an autograft I wasn't giving myself the best chance of a full recovery.

As for the quick recovery part I cant really help with that because the fact that mine was a revision my surgeon had me on a very slow rehab protocol 6 weeks partial weight baring on crutches and very little in the way of physio really just working on my flex and extension and some stretching.

If you have any questions at all please ask away
I hope some of this long post will help you with all this
Take care
Tez   
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline KarenHadley

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: ACL repair - Cadavar donor or not?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 01:49:30 PM »
Thanks for the reply. It does sound like that is the best choice for me, I do worry about disease transmission though, I have been doing some reading, chances are pretty low, but still scary. I think the Dr told me the recovery is shorter just b/c I don't have to heal another part of my leg where the tendon was taken from, so I would be on my feet sooner, rehab will probably be the same. I do need to get on my feet as soon as possible b/c I will have to return to work in a weeks time :(  Going to be fun an crutches.

support