Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: scared  (Read 2023 times)

Offline pol

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
scared
« on: January 23, 2004, 04:38:21 PM »
im having surgery next week and im scared about the anastetic.
i have heard bad storys about people lapsing in comas,unable to wake....even death
my wife is worried and im thinking about just having get my leg numb for the operation
what do you all think about this? and what are your experiences with anastetic (sorry for the spelling).

Offline anasta5ia

• Forum Faithful
Re: scared
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2004, 04:50:53 PM »
Hey there!!!!

I have had 10 orthopedic surgeries and a tonsillectomy.....I had general anesthesia for 8 of the ortho surgeries and the tonsillectomy.  My biggest issue with the general is that after the first one I kept getting sicker and sicker after each subsequent one.  Finally, with my tonsillectomy I made sure everyone knew that I was a "puker" and they gave me 7 different anti-nausea meds in my IV.....I wasn't sick at all then.  Also, there can be some discomfort from the breathing tube that they put down your throat.  It is nothing major, just uncomfortable and some people have problems with pain after the op....from the time they wake up until the proper pain meds can be administered and take effect.

For my last wrist op I had a local with sedation (I didn't know they were going to sedate me until after I woke up) and my last TTT I had a spinal without sedation.  I am one of those psychotic people who wanted to know exactly what was going on in the OR.  It was absolutely fascinating, but is definitely not for everyone.  

I would really recommend having a spinal, with or without sedation......I found that not only did I not have to deal with the nausea from the anesthesia (just from the morphine they gave me), but I also had excellent pain control.  Are you going to be staying overnight?  I'm not sure if they will even do a spinal for outpatient surgery.

Anyway, neither type is really that bad.  They have to give you all the info about the risks and everything, but really, anesthesia is actually extremely safe.

If you have any other questions, feel free to IM me.

Hugs-
Heather G.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 04:52:24 PM by anasta5ia »
Rt. knee-plica resection, LR, 4 TTTs, MPFL repair & 2 MPFL reconstructions
Lt. knee-2 TTTs, & 2 MPFL reconstructions...
Scheduled for bilateral hardware removal, lt. knee TT revision, MPFL recon and LR recon with new wonderful surgeon.
Plus 9 other orthopedic surgeries

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2004, 06:08:01 PM »
Hey !!

Try to get an appointment with the anasthaetic doc before the surgery to discuss and explain your worries.
Then you get the exactly answers you need.

wish you luck

hugs from nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline pol

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2004, 04:23:26 AM »
i have heard that getting spinal anasthetic or making my leg numb that u can still feel pain whilst they are operating.
its only an arthroscope i am getting so im in for only a day
there are three type of anasthetic am i right?
whats the pros and cons of all of them during and post op?

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2004, 06:09:49 AM »
Fatalities are extremely rare, absolutely infinitesimal. If that were not true, wouldn't you know many people who died? Though people do die in surgery, it is almost always from some cause other than the anesthesia.  After all, let's face it--many people who have surgery do so because they have life-threatening conditions; and it's complications from those conditions that kill them.

Though we have life-altering conditions with our knees, we are not usually in danger of dying from those maladies.

By all means, discuss your concerns with an anesthesiologist, but keep the actual risk in perspective.

Good luck with your decision and your surgery.

LizL

PS: I say a prayer before going under, but I opt for general anesthesia when it's offered. I want to go to sleep and then wake up with the surgery all finished. ::)
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

Offline anasta5ia

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2004, 06:09:52 AM »
With a spinal you can feel that they are pushing and pulling on the leg, but you can't feel any pain.  The same goes for the local.

I know the spinal works for sure since I was wide awake for the whole thing!!!!!

-Heather G.
Rt. knee-plica resection, LR, 4 TTTs, MPFL repair & 2 MPFL reconstructions
Lt. knee-2 TTTs, & 2 MPFL reconstructions...
Scheduled for bilateral hardware removal, lt. knee TT revision, MPFL recon and LR recon with new wonderful surgeon.
Plus 9 other orthopedic surgeries

Offline pol

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2004, 03:28:01 PM »
im thinking its only a 20 min operation
i might have the spinal anasthetic.
what do people think about this type of anasthtic?
will i feel any pain?
i dont mind feeling pulling etc...but pain i do not want to feel.
i dont mind staying awake as long as the cover my head with a blanket so i dont see anything.
what is the whole proceedure with the spinal anasthetic?
will they put tubes in my mouth etc??
please explain.....

cheers

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2004, 03:35:42 PM »
Hey Pol, it's totally up to you it's your op. I have had three knee surgeries, all under general anesthesia.  I understand your fears. HOwever, the chances of those things happening are pretty remote when you consider the amount of operations that are performed all over the world on a daily basis.  Everyone reacts differently to anesthesia, however I have never (knock on wood) had a problem with general and I think I would personally say I prefer it.   You don't feel anything, and atleast for me I wake up feeling like I have had the best sleep i've ever had.  Some people feel sick afterwards but that is the most common side affect.  I have the opposite fear of you, and worry that they will mess something up using spinal anesthesia and damage my spinal cord. :-/
Discuss your concerns with an anesthesiologist, you'll see your before your op. They are always there monitoring your vitals. they don't put you under and just leave ya for dead.  That's the anesthesiologists job, there only job in the OR.
Goodluck on your decision.
HUGs and Luck with the surgery
Linds

I am the same as lizl...I would much prefer to sleep throuhg the whole thing and wake up on the flip side.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 03:38:20 PM by Linds »
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline pol

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2004, 04:50:12 PM »
im not really worried but my wife is cause she has read that people have never woken up...i know its a small percentage but it is still a chance (2% is too much)
i will talk to my anesthesist before my op and see what i will do.
its true too about ur fear of them doing something wrong with my spinal cord.....
i am confused, i dont know what is best

please keep giving me ur thoughts on this matter as some of you have had several ops...tell me from your experiences of what is good etc?

thanks

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2004, 05:50:25 PM »
Pol,

There is such a thing as a nasty post-op migraine that comes with spinals. It is the most common side-effect of the spinal, rather than damage to the spinal cord.

The risk of complications with general anesthesia is nothing like as high as 2%. I don't know what it is, but I'm GUESSING is is more like 2 out of every 200,000--rather than 2 out of 100.  The spinal block migraine has a much higher incidence.

I've had general anesthesia four times in my life, so I figure I've got plenty more shots at it, many more than I need to last my lifetime, before the statistics turn against me. I don't want to feel any tugging and pulling or have to worry about what I do and don't see or hear. My best chance at being a good patient is to be asleep, rather than being an observer. The one exception to that rule was childbirth, only because I wanted to be "present" for the child, not because I feared the anesthesia.

Try to relax this weekend and save your worries for the consultation with your anesthesiologist. For my surgery last month, I did not meet the anesthesiologist until I went into pre-op; but, I gotta tell you, he was the most caring physician and spent quite a bit of time with me.  I had some sort of allergic reaction during my previous hospital stay almost a year ago (probably one of the antibiotics), and he wanted to discuss that with me. It was actually a little funny when he joked that his job was on the line, so he intended to see that nothing happened to me; and if anything did start to go wrong, he would be right there to administer counter-acting medications. Linds is 100% correct--that anesthesiologist has one job and no distractions. He/she only watches your vital signs during surgery.

Bring on the happy juice and sweet dreams. Again, good luck with your decision.
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct

Offline pol

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2004, 06:25:56 PM »
thanks for your advice!
i would rather have a headache than not wake up at all.

the problem is that i dont think i would handle the general to well....

i think i will go for the spinal or numb the area that will be operated on

its only a 30 mins proceedure and i think getting the spinal will help with the pain post op.

im not too keen on having a machine to help me breath(hoses inserted in the mouth to help u breath using general)

i think there is more chance of someone dying using general than spinal(correct me if im wrong) and dont they give you something mild to make u sleep for the op(using spinal)

i think general is more for open heart surgery etc..

like i said...i would rather live and have no legs and a bad headache than be dead  :-/

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2004, 06:38:59 PM »
One small note: You don't always have a trach tube with general anesthetic. I didn't with my recent surgery. For a short surgery, they don't put you down so far that you need a machine to breathe for you. It is really just a gentle sleep.

It sounds like your decision is made. Go for it! Have a great weekend.

LizL  :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 06:39:57 PM by lizl »
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2004, 10:11:05 PM »
Hey !!

You're doing a great choice.  ;)Yeah the spinal is a very good help after for painmanagement.
Wish you the best, please mail and tell us how you are after.

Hugs nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline pol

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2004, 03:41:24 PM »
thankyou all for ur input
i havent really made my choice up and would still like more thoughts
im so far about 80% going for spinal.
is this type good for pain management post op?

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2004, 08:18:58 PM »
Pol,

I have had 2 surgeries so far, a scope (lateral release and chondroplasty) and a TTT. I had a spinal for both surgeries, but with the scope I was sedated also, so I know nothing form the anesthetist giving me the spinal or anything. Last thing I rememebr is when they rolled me into the ORwaiting room, 1st thing I remember after the op when i was in recovery room. I was already groggy from my prémeds. Last time with my TTT I refused prémeds (which is easy when UR a nurse and lying in your own hospital on your own ward ;)) and didn't want any other meds than painmeds! Getting the spinal is not painfull, but it's very uncomfortable 'cause you have to sit still in foetus position. During the surgery I was able to ask for a mild sedative when I felt strange or nervous or anything, but me?? NO WAY! Your legs are numb, you can fell them cutting, poking around and stuff, but you feel NO PAIN AT ALL!!!! I could even move my toes during the whole procedure! With a TTT they have to cut the patellar tendon loose which includes some drill work, I was a tiny bit worried about that, but before I knew it it was already done! It was a weird feeling, they cut the tendon and it felt like a dislocation of my patella :o and I wanted to move my legs in order to reposition it (like I always did myself when I had a dilocation)  but I just couldn't! For the first time I had my patella out and NO PAIN ;D.

After the surgery your legs stay numb for several hours (length of time depends on your weight, how much anesthetic they used etc...) so you don't feel pin rightaway, once your legs are awake most pain is settled or you are able to take painmeds. It is true that you normally have to stay flat for several hours. We used to forbid patients to get up untill 6 hrs after the spinal, now they are allowed t sit straight up right after surgery. NEVER have I known anyone who had a headache after a spinal, though it is possible. If you have one, it goes away once you're flat on your back again! You are allowed to turn on your side.

I will always go for the spinal without a sedative if it is a possibility! It's ace! Next time I have to see my surgery!

Good luch with deciding and keep us updated!

Helena

PS Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation