Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Osteochondritis Dissecans  (Read 709 times)

Offline luke9910

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Osteochondritis Dissecans
« on: July 07, 2013, 09:50:19 PM »
Hello I am a 20 year old male and had a large OCD in my medial femur. I am now almost 3 weeks post op. The surgeon opened up my knee and reattached the bone with screws. I am just wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation and could tell me how rehab went and how long it was before you could resume daily activities. All I was told by my surgeon was 3-6 weeks on crutches and screws come out after 8 weeks.

Offline randyp73

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Osteochondritis Dissecans
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 10:31:45 PM »
My son just had surgery 2 days ago to repair an osteochondritis dissecans defect.  Fortunately for him, there was just a small tear in the articular cartilage and the OS used 4 screws to pin the "spongy" section of cartilage back to the bone.  He then drilled 10 holes into the lateral condyle to promote blood flow and to allow bone marrow stem cells to flow to help nourish the dead bone and to hopefully allow the cartilage to re-bond to the bone.  My question to you is did you recover and if so to what level?  Also,  how long was recovery until you could run and jump, etc?  Now that it's been a couple of years, how is the knee?  Any other information you could give me would be great.  My son is almost 15 with open growth plates which they say will help in the healing process.  He is also a good basketball player that could play in college if he recovers well.  Also, he has to have his other knee done in a month assuming that this most recent surgery has healed enough for him to walk on.  Thank you for your time!

support