Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Conflicting Advice  (Read 478 times)

Offline rnm37

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
Conflicting Advice
« on: July 06, 2013, 01:18:21 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just looking for a bit of guidance regarding full acl recovery (hamstring graft). Throughout my rehab I was constantly told how well I was getting on by the 2 physios I was working with and that 6-7 months was a realistic target to aim for in terms of getting back into contact sports, I was discharged from dedicated rehab work at 4 months. However, at my 6 month review, one of the more senior physios (who hasn't seen any of my rehab) told me I should be looking toward 9 months for a return to contact sports, despite her checking my graft and saying it was only fractionally weaker than my good knee? I'm now almost exactly 7 months post op, feel as fit as I've ever been and the knee feels fantastic apart from the predictable post surgery aches.
I'm not looking for definitive conclusions from you guys as you obviously haven't seen my knee but does anyone have any idea why the advice I am getting is quite varied?

Cheers,

Ross
June 2012 - ACL rupture and lateral meniscus tear

December 2012 - ACL recon (hamstring autograft) and meniscus trim

October 2013 - Retore ACL and tore medial meniscus :(!

January 2014 - Revision ACL recon (hamstring)

Offline Hobblescotch

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 20
Re: Conflicting Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 06:37:16 PM »
Hi rnm37! I doubt it has anything to do with your knee, specifically, but rather the different rehab protocols that different surgeons and PTs have. Most PTs will have a timeline in mind for progression, including the minimum amount of time they feel is necessary (provided everything goes smoothly) for the return to sport to pose minimal risk to the graft and its fixation - some are just more inclined to be conservative or aggressive than others. I've heard of people on this board and others be told by their rehab team to wait anywhere from 6 to 12 months for full return to sport - and generally contact sports are a bit riskier and therefore often on the end of that scale (I've read quite a few reports of PTs and OS recommending waiting until at least the 9 month mark). It's great that you're doing so well, and obviously your knee function makes a big difference in how you'll handle your return to sport! I really think it has nothing to do with you or your progress, but rather the difference in rehab protocol between PTs and the fact that your sport involves contact. Congrats on your success so far! I hope to be where you are in 7 months :)

Offline kneesareapain

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 4
Re: Conflicting Advice
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 09:11:12 AM »
Hi Ross

As Hobblescotch says they all have different approaches.  Also, what is a few more months in the big scheme?

It is worth looking at general guidelines for return to sport as well.  There are plenty online as I am sure you have seen.

Good luck!
L ACL Replacement [Patellar Tendon Left] and Meniscus Partial Meniscectomy 1997

Retore L ACL 2012 and tore both L menisci

support