Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Need a knee expert!! Help!!  (Read 646 times)

Offline Bfc123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Need a knee expert!! Help!!
« on: July 06, 2013, 12:41:55 AM »
Hi

Need abit of advise really, I torn my ACL two years back now in my right knee and had full surgery reconstruction, with a few set backs fingers crossed its all good and strong again now! Around 5 weeks ago now I was playing football and my other knee twisted funny, a different motion to my right but it was painful, not quiet the pain that was in my right and I didn't hear any pop or anything go like I heard with my right. Just concerned now as iv got a big opportunity in August with football and want to make sure it's ok. It swelled up massively the next morning and struggled to walk for a few days but now it's almost back to normal, the only problem am having is when am changing direction I feel a twinge inside my knee and it doesn't feel 100% stable as of yet, Can anyone advise on there thoughts what this is? Do I need to give it more time? I did go to the doctors and they advised everything seems stable e.g ACL. But should a scan be done incase?

Sorry for the SA just really need some thoughts

Much appreciated
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 12:47:06 AM by Bfc123 »

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Need a knee expert!! Help!!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 08:56:47 PM »
From what I have experienced, and have heard from others regarding sporting activities, "cutting" moves and sharp changes of direction can place some pretty mean stress on the knee. If you "twisted" it, but not such that it tore the acl, and it's still causing pain during certain movements - note what exact motions cause pain, and talk to your doc about it. Just because they don't see any positive lachman's ( the test for slop in the joint indicating a possible acl issue) doesn't mean that you didn't tweak a meniscus and have a flap in there causing mischief.

I'd say that if you're still symptomatic after 2-3 weeks of no stress on the knee -  no cutting or sharp pivoting moves, etc - then you should go back and ask for an MRI to rule out a meniscus problem. If you're training and can ride a stationary bike without pain - then I'd say go for cardio until you rule out what's making the knee twinge when you try sporting moves with it. Of course, I'm no doc, it's just common sense - don't do it if it hurts, but if it's something you can do, use moderation until you know you don't have an issue to deal with.

That would be my suggestion - if you're still having issues after you give it a couple weeks off-- then get it rechecked.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.