Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL - can one really do without it?  (Read 1661 times)

Offline aef1000

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL - can one really do without it?
« on: July 05, 2013, 07:11:01 PM »
I've posted on my various injuries in the past but here's a summary of the latest.  Feb 25th, 2013, I severly  dislocated my right knee such that I tore my ACL, MCL, quad tendon, Joint capsule, meniscus, misc other tissues.  In addition, I sustained a L5 burst fracture in my back.  As a trauma patient, they operated on me that day.  My right knee had everything repaired except the ACL.  An external fixator was attached to my tibia and femur to stabilize the leg for about 3 weeks.  My back had assorted hardware installed but that really for a different forum.  I have been rehabbing the last few months.  My knee has scarred down so I don't have full ROM, about 105 cold and maybe 120 something on a good warmup.  I have consulted a prior knee surgeon I used 8 yrs ago to clean up and restore function to my left knee.  (Did I great job, BTW).  Since I am prone to AF be may be doing a scope to regain my ROM but I indicated I may not need an ACL depending on my activities.  I don't ski or play tennis but still concerned about falling or taking a bad step and reinjuring my knee.  Anyone with any thoughts or experience with knees sans ACL?
2/11/2005 Arthroscope, LCL repair, postilateral corner repair, nerve proceedure
5/04/05 ACL allo recon, lat release
10/05/05 LOA & chondroplasty
2/25/13 rt knee dislocation and L5 spine burst fracture; trauma surgeries to repair both injuries
9/11/13 LOA & clean-up arthrofribosis

Offline SacredPetra

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: ACL - can one really do without it?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 11:45:00 PM »
My dad had aTKR and therefore doesn't have an acl and its never bothered him.  When the one Dr said I damaged my acl he asked about not repairing it, but that Dr warned that not repairing my acl risked long term damage to my meniscus.   In my case though, I do a lot of sports with rotational movement and in its current state my knee is very unstable.   Age was also something the Dr mentioned,  and I've seen it mentioned in other threads as well.   Sorry I don't have any real advice,  I'm only parroting what the ER Dr told me.

Offline libero6

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 6
Re: ACL - can one really do without it?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 09:34:27 AM »
This thread may contain some useful content for you: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=62219.0

All the best!