Advertisement - Hide this advert

Poll

Manipulation surgery or overpressure 3X a week?

Get the manipulative surgery
0 (0%)
Deal with the pain from overpressure 3X a week
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: MPFL rom/scar tissue issues  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Ctimmon2

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MPFL rom/scar tissue issues
« on: July 05, 2013, 05:10:17 AM »
I had an mpfl repair using a graft of my hamstring about 3 months and ever since, there has been problem after problem.
Long story short but I was locked in extension for 3 weeks too long. Scar tissue built up and now my physical therapist has to manually break it up applies over pressure. The pain is unbeliebable.
What do you do for pain management?
I end up being strapped down to the table while my physical therapist pushes because I conpensate too much and lift myself up off of the table.
Has anyone else had this done?
I ice, elevate and everything else but my ROM is not improving.
The swelling is crazy and I am looking at a possible manipulative surgery to fix it. I'm not sure what that entails, but it does not sound pleasant.
I am debating just getting the manipulation so I don't have to keep going through the pain of overpressure. Any recommendations?

Offline JessJess28

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 18
Re: MPFL rom/scar tissue issues
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 07:55:28 PM »
What is your ROM at now? My PT does push my knee and does manual therapy which helps with scar tissue. It hurts but it is working and my ROM is coming back. I guess it depends on what your ROM is at before anyone can give you an opinion.
History of Dislocations
12/08 Scope
3/2013 TTO, Lateral Release, Medial Reefing, Grade III Patella lesion.
11/2013 TTO L knee, LR, Medial Reefing, R knee screw removal

Offline KinnaMarie

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: MPFL rom/scar tissue issues
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 02:32:51 AM »
Know you are not alone, and that I too have been strapped down to the table, have had 3 therapists holding me down (with one rubbing my back), and me falling off the table to stop it from hurting! 

I have essentially had 2 manipulations.  The first one was a year after original surgery.  He did a manipulation, as well as removed the sutures from the MPFL because I was bruising and had swelling over the MPFL sight.  This is the first time I woke up from surgery and cried because it hurt.  But you have to consider, this was my 3rd surgery in a year span and I could not bend my knee more than 60 degrees and he bent it to 120.  I then had another manipulation another year later... which was just 6 months ago.  During this one he did a manipulation and did arthroscopic surgery to get rid of scar tissue and got it to 120 again.  I was in PT only twice a week and lost the ROM very fast...again.  I then started at a new PT place a month ago after a little break, and I have finally found an amazing PT, although I may not always like them, cause I leave wanting to cry... but they have gotten me so fair in this month.  It took 2 hours one night, but they didn't give up and got me to 90.  I couldn't stop shaking, kicked my pt in the head, was falling off the table, being held down, but we got to 90! 

My advice is, if you do go for the manipulation, is you need to go to PT more than twice a week to keep the ROM going.  I've heard after a manipulation most go 5 days a week.  Let me know what you decide or if you have any other questions!