Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair post surgery  (Read 587 times)

Offline KNGL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair post surgery
« on: July 04, 2013, 10:37:10 PM »
Hello

Please can someone help advise me.

I had an ACL reconstruction using an allograft and meniscus repair in March 2013 in the UK following a ski accident at the end of January. It is now July and I'm still having pain. I have not yet got full range of motion - not fully hyper extended or leg bent. I get quite a lot of pain when in extension - all behind the knee. Is this still normal after 4 months? I also get a lot of clicking through the knee but I have been told by my surgeon and physio that this is very normal. I attended physio orginally twice a week - now once a fortnight through the NHS. Gym work done so far, cycling, cross trainer, step ups, leg weights, but not quite running yet. Again, is this normal? I feel like it is never going to get better! Another complication is - I am hyper mobile (double jointed and very flexible), so very unsure how my knee should feel now.

Read more: Orthopedics Forum - ACL and Meniscal Repair 1 year post op complications http://ehealthforum.com/health/acl-and-meniscal-repair-year-post-op-complications-t329962.html#ixzz2Y75dM6qv
 Follow us: @ehealthforums on Twitter

Offline aef1000

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair post surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 07:09:13 AM »
I read your story on the Orthopedics Forum and was a bit appalled at the response you received.  To accept 90 deg ROM is rediculous in these times.  You did not specify what your actual ROM is at this time other than it is limited.  Given the time that has passed, it sounds like you are dealing with scar tissue. That can be dealt with, but you need a surgeon that knows what he is doing.  Being from the US, an ACL repair should result in complete recovery and IS the norm not the exception.  In the UK can you get 2nd opinions?
2/11/2005 Arthroscope, LCL repair, postilateral corner repair, nerve proceedure
5/04/05 ACL allo recon, lat release
10/05/05 LOA & chondroplasty
2/25/13 rt knee dislocation and L5 spine burst fracture; trauma surgeries to repair both injuries
9/11/13 LOA & clean-up arthrofribosis

support