Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Screw removal gone wrong :(  (Read 1214 times)

Offline rbexc

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
Screw removal gone wrong :(
« on: July 04, 2013, 10:09:55 PM »
I had an ACL reconstruction with biocomposite screws last June (2012). The tibial screw had been causing problems since last August, but I had so many other weird things going on in my knee that we'd overseen the screw being the root of most of the problems! But after my most recent set of x-rays and MRI, we saw inflammatory responses in the spot of my tibia where the screw is near and where it hurts.

So... I was scheduled for a "simple" screw removal yesterday. The surgeon was reluctant to do surgery #4 of the year on the same knee since it was too much trauma, but even he admitted that this surgery should be relatively straight forward and painless. Everything I read online concurred, so I figured, what the heck, might as well and get it over with!

I woke up in the recovery room yesterday in THE worst pain I'd ever been in. Every time I opened my eyes, the nurse was administering another pain killer into my IV-- I eventually lost count after the 5th time she put something in. When my aunt came in as I'd gotten my pain down from a 10 to a 5, she said she felt like crying because of how ragged I looked. She said I actually looked pale/greenish! 

Anyway, the nurses in the PACU, my aunt, and I had no idea why a simple screw removal had caused so much pain. It wasn't until my surgeon called me later that I found out that I had bone growing over the screw and that the screw had gone "mushy", which led to a lot of bone having to be chipped out  :o

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them?! What's the recovery for this like? It's only my first day post op, but there's already some massive swelling and bruising on my knee/tibia. I can tolerate the pain when I'm sitting around, but as soon as I try to move, oh my God it is BAD. I'm taking 2 percocets and a motrin every 4 hours, as well as icing until the ice pack gets "warm".
'12-'13
1 ACLr, pt L/M meniscect
2 L meniscect, synovectomy, caps release, LOA+MUA, notchplsty, chondroplsty, scrw trim
3 pt L/M menisc., ACL+chondral debridement, LOA, caps+lat release, scar rev
4 screw rmvd
5 LOA, AIR

'16
6 ACL revision, partial med+lat menisc.
7 LOA, part lat menisc.

Offline aef1000

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Screw removal gone wrong :(
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 06:41:18 AM »
So if they removed the bio- screw, was the ACL also removed?
The degree of pain you have seems very unusual.  Did you ask the dotor what sort of pain meds they used in your knee at the end of the surgery?
2/11/2005 Arthroscope, LCL repair, postilateral corner repair, nerve proceedure
5/04/05 ACL allo recon, lat release
10/05/05 LOA & chondroplasty
2/25/13 rt knee dislocation and L5 spine burst fracture; trauma surgeries to repair both injuries
9/11/13 LOA & clean-up arthrofribosis

Offline rbexc

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
Re: Screw removal gone wrong :(
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 02:03:37 PM »
Only the screw was removed. Well, that and whatever bone they had to remove to get the screw out.

I know that I had tons of local anesthetic injected into my knee as soon as my surgeon realized the extent of damage he'd have to cause to get the screw out. Unfortunately, local anesthetics don't do much for bone pain but rather work well on the soft tissues. Which would explain why half my knee/upper tib are still numb...

He told me that because the bone grew over the screw, they ended up having to get the xray machine to take xrays in the middle of surgery to try to find the screw.

All in all, the pain has gone down compared to days 1 and 2 post op, but it's definitely still there. What surprised me the most was that the pain for this surgery was pretty equivalent, or I could probably say even greater than, the pain fron the original ACL recon! My second and third surgeries didn't come anywhere close to hurting like this.

Another weird thing is that I've had muscle pain in one very specific spot on my upper calf right out of discharge. It only comes when I move my leg a certain way. I thought it'd gone away finally, but I was laying down yesterday when I got this... really quick "jolt" of pain in the sam exact spot. It felt less muscular, but definitely didn't feel like it was within the normal "post op" pain. It's excruciating for like half a second and then goes away. It's happened a couple times since. Is this... normal?

'12-'13
1 ACLr, pt L/M meniscect
2 L meniscect, synovectomy, caps release, LOA+MUA, notchplsty, chondroplsty, scrw trim
3 pt L/M menisc., ACL+chondral debridement, LOA, caps+lat release, scar rev
4 screw rmvd
5 LOA, AIR

'16
6 ACL revision, partial med+lat menisc.
7 LOA, part lat menisc.

support