Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Fresh patell allograft and TTO  (Read 254 times)

Offline Jsantos

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fresh patell allograft and TTO
« on: November 29, 2021, 12:44:53 PM »
Hi all new member

I had these two procedures done 6 days ago to help correct knee pain i have from a previous work accident back in 2020 where i broke my femur and shattered my patella. Im FWB but my tibia hurts like hell whenever i get up, i used to get the same pain back with my original surgery but it would go away within a few seconds and i would be able to walk. This time though is a different story, pain stays there the whole time so walking anywhere is a nightmare, even though im FWB i cant even put my foot down because of the pain, also i experience very strong CONSTANT muscle pain couple of inches above my incision and closer to my hip area, its like a pulsating pain that doesnt go away and makes falling asleep very hard. Thoughts?

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 454
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Fresh patell allograft and TTO
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 05:37:07 PM »
It sounds very soon to be FWB after such a major surgery. Are you staying on took of the pain with pain meds? If the meds arenít cutting it, make sure you follow the dosing instructions and timings. Complement with regular icing of the knee and surrounding muscles. If you need stronger medication to sleep for example, contact the hospital

If itís so painful FWB, then put less weight through the operated leg when upright and more weight through the crutches.

At 6 days, you probably should t be walking very much anyhow? What did the surgeon and physiotherapist say when you saw them in the hospital?
Are you keeping your leg elevated when not walking, above your heart or minimum hip, supported under foot and calf rather than knee if at all possible?
Is your knee in a brace?

Good luck
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 05:43:32 PM by vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffaís fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline Dave33

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 26
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 02:20:33 AM »
Hi all new member

I had these two procedures done 6 days ago to help correct knee pain i have from a previous work accident back in 2020 where i broke my femur and shattered my patella. Im FWB but my tibia hurts like hell whenever i get up, i used to get the same pain back with my original surgery but it would go away within a few seconds and i would be able to walk. This time though is a different story, pain stays there the whole time so walking anywhere is a nightmare, even though im FWB i cant even put my foot down because of the pain, also i experience very strong CONSTANT muscle pain couple of inches above my incision and closer to my hip area, its like a pulsating pain that doesnt go away and makes falling asleep very hard. Thoughts?

Well, in a tto they are actually sawing through your tibia and bolting it back together, so 6 days out, you're definitely going to be feeling that one. (I've had two). You may be full weight bearing, but I'm going to assume that's only in extension, and the blood rushes going from horizontal to vertical to get around can be really bad painwise, and not really let up this early in the recovery. You don't come back quickly from this one, in my experience.

Regarding the hip/muscle pain, I had the same a couple weeks ago after my replacement.. the spasms got pretty bad for a night. Did you have a nerve block done in the upper quad or groin? I'm chalking it up to that. It did get better after a few days, though. If it doesn't let up soon, best call the surgeon's office and ask.

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 68
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 06:39:54 PM »
Can I ask how large was the allograft? The entire patella underside? Have you consulted your surgeon yet?
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

support