Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 7 weeks post op.. extreme swelling in knee w/fever and other symptoms.....  (Read 1843 times)

Offline xChocolateStrawberri

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I am 7 weeks post op of MPFL.... I have been doing really well but yesterday I woke up with my knee feeling weak.. almost numb kind of? I had pt yesterday afternoon and he didn't say too much about if it was bad or good or anything, but we did take pt very lightly yesterday. Did some ROM exercises and working on steps. A few hours after pt my knee started swelling and the numb/weak feeling increased and all of the sudden it hurt A LOT to bend my knee even a tiny bit. I also hadn't been feeling well all day. Very upset stomach, weak, tired, etc. and I checked my temp around 8 p.m. and I had a 101.6 fever. I iced my knee and took aleve to take the swelling down and hopefully the fever... woke up with morning with my knee twice the size as the other and the weak/numb feeling with the pain when I bend it is there.(And the pain is my entire knee, not just a secluded area) Also, still feeling really sick. Tired, achy, nauseous... but my temp is normal atm. Could me being sick and my knee swelling be related or am I just thinking too much in to it? I am home alone for the next 4 days and I have no car to get anywhere and the closest person to me is over an hour away. (my family left me home alone while they went on vacation cause they didnt want to take two cars.. kind of dumb but I have been doing really well!! so it wasn't too big of a deal till now!) I want to make sure this is something I need to go in for before I start making a big deal about it! I am skeptical about an infection because my sutures are all completely healed over and pink... so IDK!

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
and I might seem calm in that but I am actually really scared. I can hardly walk on it because it is so weak/numb and I can only bend it back maybe 10 degrees, and that's it. Yesterday I was at 110 degree ROM. SO if anyone has any advice or has had this before it would be greatly appreciated! thank you

Offline Chester57

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
I would definitely call the Dr.  You may have an infection or cellulitis, which would mean you need antibiotics.  Not something to play around with.  Better to play it safe.  Feel better soon!
1980 LK open total synovectomy to remove AVM--Undiag AF Begins--MUA-AF & Instability--Debridement-AF--LOA, Synovectomy, Menisectomy, Chondroplasty, M/L Ret Release-AF, Instability & Sublux--MCL, POL, MPFL Allo Recons-AF--LOA, LR, Synovectomy-AF--LOA, M/L Ret Release, Synovectomy-AF

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
Yup, I'd call the doctor's office too. You'll get better advice there on your symptoms and whether you need to go in. Probably nothing wrong with the surgery itself, but you don't want to mess around with possible infections and the such. And by running a fever, they may want to put you on precautionary antibiotics at the very least.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Thanks for the replies. I ended up calling my surgeon not long after posting this and it's a good thing I did. She had me go to the ER asap and I was admitted into the hospital right away... turns out i have a pretty nasty infection.I had surgery yesterday to clean out my knee. I unfortunately, also have osteomyelitis :( a bit of bad news when I was doing so well! Now I have to get a pick line and be on antibiotics for at least 6 weeks...
I'm definitely not very happy but nothing I can do about it now :/