Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Post ACLr with (failed?) medial meniscus repair... total removal?  (Read 410 times)

Offline laurenxhummel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi there!

I'm a 19 year old very active female and I had ACL reconstruction and a medial meniscus recovery about 8.5 weeks ago.

I initially hurt my knee just over two years ago playing rugby with partial tears in ACL and MCL as well as a meniscus tear. Leading up until December of 2012, things were okay-ish but getting progressively worse. December was when I completely tore my ACL playing hockey.

My surgery went well and upon waking up, my surgeon told me that he repaired the meniscus so I would be non-weight bearing for 6 weeks and due to the size of the tear and my age, there was only a 40% chance it would heal. I've been walking for just over 2 weeks and overall it's been okay, however as more time passes, I'm getting more and more pain in my meniscus area.

I'm guessing I was one of the 60% and it did not heal. I was wondering if anyone has had a total meniscus removal, especially at an age as young as I am. I don't want to give up hockey or snowboarding or crossfit. Was the removal worth it? And I have heard about transplants but I don't know much about them - how are they?

Thanks!!
Lauren