Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Partial Patella Tendon Tear - Has anyone had surgery for this?  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Gutrix

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Partial Patella Tendon Tear - Has anyone had surgery for this?
« on: October 23, 2013, 06:32:33 PM »
I have experienced tendonitis for about 2 years in my right knee and recently it was feeling a lot more painful. I play soccer, softball and ride horses (well DID these things). I decided to visit a ortho doctor to get an official diagnosis finally, and after some X-rays and an MRI I was told I have a partial tear. The course of action we decided on was 6 weeks off of all activities and regular visits to PT (3 times weekly) to see if it will heal on it's own. I am currently 3 weeks in and not feeling any less pain really, so I am not having a lot of hope it is going to heal on it's own. The other option offered was PRP, but with health insurance not covering it and the limited results I have heard about I am hesitant to go that way.

I am wondering at my 6 week visit what to expect as far as how it will be assessed if I am healing on my own or not? Also, if it isn't healing if he will want to give it longer or go the surgery route? Lastly, has anyone had surgery for a partial tear and what were your results?

Thanks!

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Partial Patella Tendon Tear - Has anyone had surgery for this?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 06:49:13 PM »

Hi Gutrix

Welcome to the RQT/RPT club, not the best type of club of being a member.

It is important that you understand what a serious type of injury that you have sustained.

Suggest that you click on the undermentioned link, which has a whole collection of documents which I have compiled together with KneeGuru.  The documents will explain in full all about your injury, and the possible rehab.  Have a look on the following KneeGuru web page Ruptured Quadricep/Ruptured Patella Tendon - then start looking at some of the previous posts - although the majority of persons on this thread have sustained a complete rupture of the tendon.  Important tip is to sleep with a pillow/cushion between your legs.   Is your knee in a brace or plastercast?- Where do you live?
Don`t try to drive until your OS gives you the OK.

PATIENCE - ASK QUESTIONS.

Keep posting

JohnK/ Manchester UK

://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Gutrix

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 07:30:52 PM »
No brace or cast, my PT has contacted my OS to discuss the use of an immobilizer but he hasn't heard back. I was not advised to stop driving either.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 10:45:31 PM »
Hi Gutrix

Just be careful that you don`t invalidate your car insurance policy - to be wise, is to ask

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline sfknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 09:02:07 AM »
You may have seen my other thread on the board, anyway I partially tore my patellar tendon about a year ago and did PRP but decided not to do surgery... I would say it's about 40% recovered a year later... It is a tough decision whether to do surgery, as there's no guarantee it will help and there are definite risks. Good luck and let us know what happens.

support